Renault scenic, damaged fuel system after 1 week.

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2656 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello.

I purchased a scenic for £2195 from what appeared to be a good local used car dealer 8 days ago. 2 days ago a service light came on so I got it booked into my usual garage to be given the once over.

I have since found out that the fuel pump is worn and that this has meant metal has contaminated the entire fuel system and will cost the best part of £1400 to fix properly.

I have a warranty but it states that none of these components are covered.

I am wondering where I stand as to getting my money back. I would rather not have them repair it.

So far all we have done is inform the garage of the fault and they have told us to bring it down, which we plan to first thing tomorrow.

Thanks for any advice

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that what the warranty says makes no difference. The law states that goods should be of a reasonable quality and last a reasonable amount of time. 1 week is not reasonable. So you are protected, no matter what the dealer says, by the law. This is called the sales of goods act.

Now the bad news with regard to you just wanting a refund. The dealer is entitled to repair the issue before offering a refund. If the dealer cannot get it right on say 3 attempts them you would be able to reject the car under the sales of goods act. But you must give them chance.

So this is what you should do. Write to the dealer outlining the issue and remember to date it and add what you would like to be done to rectify the fault, keep it polite. Send it recorded delivery. (keep yourself a copy) Keep a paper trail that you have been fair then if it should have to go to court you have all the paper work to prove it.

Any dealer with half a brain will see you know your stuff and get things fixed.

Ash.

If you think I have helped you, please add to my reputation by clicking the star button to the left.

Thankyou.

Make sure you get an indepenant mechanic to perform a full check of the vehicle and its problems, so if you need to take further action, the dealer cant worm out of it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

but what about this:

The law

When you buy a used vehicle from a trader you are making a legally binding contract. You have legal rights against the trader under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

The vehicle should be:

- Of a satisfactory quality - free from minor defects, safe and durable for a reasonable length of time. When assessing satisfactory quality you should take into account price, age, mileage and condition at the time of sale.

- Fit for its intended purpose or a purpose that you made known to the trader - fit to be driven on the road.

- As described - the vehicle should correspond with any description applied to it. In some circumstances, the trader may be liable for any statement made by the manufacturer of the goods.

If the vehicle was faulty at the time of sale, you are legally entitled to request one of the following remedies:

a full refund

compensation (damages)

repair or replacement

rescission or reduction in price

More importantly I just want to make sure that I can legally chase something. It has taken me 3 years to save for this car. I can not afford a £1400 bill if they outright refuse help. I am also very against having them repair it as I do not trust the car going out of my sight.

With soga, it goes like this.

Repair > Replace > Refund.

You need to follow the rules and not try and jump ahead. Especially if you want to take legal action down the road.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

The fault was found by a garage that I have used for over 3 years and 4 of our family also use. His advice to me was to "sell the car ASAP" before I told him that we had only had it a week.

get a full written report and head to the dealer. Make sure you put it in writing and give him a set time to repair or refund. If he repairs it, make sure he agrees to a full independant check before you take ownership again.

What you have is a car that has at some point (and it will be very recent) been misfuelled. How many miles have you done since taking delivery to the light coming on? Can you categorically say that you are sure you have not misfuelled the car? You might find you need to swear this at some point. Not sure where renegdeimp is coming from here.