Help with Set Aside -***Claim Struck Out***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3694 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Will ask andyorch to look in and help.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His exactish words were I am going to set aside the judgement but you need to write to the court and the claimant Wescot setting out your defence being that the debt is statute barred. He asked how long I needed to do this I said a couple of weeks and he gave me three. Will put together letters to both asap.

Would it makd sense that he wanted to set aside so did but just didnt have anything substantial enough from me today so the defense I send will dot the i's and cross the t's as it were, he didn;t once elude to me having to come back to court just the letter.

Edited by frogster123

@ uncleb. set aside hearing is re reasons for set aside, not usually a final decision (judgment) on any poss triable issues (if there are any poss triable issues with poss 'prospect' eg sb then would ordinarily also count re set aside, then claim continues if set aside). and ct can then make any orders/directions as thinks fit.

the order/direction re defence with sb seems expedient cause if it is barred, then that negates their claim and could poss avoid any further litigation.

submit the defence as ordered/directed, which includes sb, then see what claimant does.

Edited by Ford

I suggest you pop any defence / letter on your thread for others to confirm before you send it off anywhere :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

from andyorch

Its not for frogster to prove anything CB but for them to prove its not which they will struggle to attain..... particularly as they did not attend and " In absence of any copies of any agreements and with Provident having no details for me at all,"

Just submit the SB defence.

PS did he claim costs for today?

BCOBS

frogster,

Please forgive me for interrupting your thread but I wondered if some of those helping here could also have a look at this thread where a judgment should have been set aside, wasn't, and the knock-on effects have been catastrophic for the lady concerned.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?401203-loweel-rolled-3-debts-2-mobile-1-credit-card-and-made-me-BK-now-losing-my-house&p=4327872#post4327872

Thank you, and good luck in your case.

DD

@CB I should have both letters finished today so I'll post them on here for review. I haven't claimed for any costs, I wasn't aware that I could.

Apparently so, I will ask andyorch to advise on what you could have claimed and if you still can.

BCOBS

This is yet another great result for the op thanks to the Consumer Action Group.

Well done my dear fellow CAG member. File your statute barred defence as Ordered by the Court and wait for response/directions, then post back here when you here the same.

Godzilla

Kind regards

The Mould

His exactish words were I am going to set aside the judgement but you need to write to the court and the claimant Wescot setting out your defence being that the debt is statute barred. He asked how long I needed to do this I said a couple of weeks and he gave me three. Will put together letters to both asap.

Would it makd sense that he wanted to set aside so did but just didnt have anything substantial enough from me today so the defense I send will dot the i's and cross the t's as it were, he didn;t once elude to me having to come back to court just the letter.

Have you received anything from the Court yet?

Hi, Apologies for not responding sooner, I have been away for a few days. Yes I recieved confirmation from the court to say that the judgement had been set aside and that I had until 4.30 on 17th September to send in my defence to the court and claimant. My first day back at work today so will put together response this evening and post on here for some feedback.

Thanks again :)

Good morning, I am struggling to formulate the wording for my defence to the court and Westcot, I understand the concept and advice from the judge, but all I can come up with is that the debt is statute barred and therefore the CCJ application is null and void, can anyone provide me a starting point and any additional info that I may need to include?

Thanks

It does not require anything further frogster if it was SB at the time of litigation then thats all you need.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

As a starting point....

1 The Claimant's claim was issued on (date).

2 The Claimant contends that the Claimant's claim so issued is a claim in contract and is statute barred pursuant to the provisions of section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980. If, which is denied, the claimant contends that the Defendant is in breach of the alleged contract, in excess of 6 years have elapsed since the date on which any cause of action for breach accrued for the benefit of the Claimant.

3 The Claimant's claim to be entitled to payment of £x or any other sum, or relief of any kind is denied.

I BELIEVE THAT THE CONTENTS OF THIS DEFENCE ARE TRUE.

Signed:

BCOBS

Thanks again, @TheMould, I don't have any reference to the POC, as the court has never provided me with the claim papers, I asked the judge and he just said you know what it relates to and read out the POC to me.

From memory they stated that they had sent me numerous letters and that I had never responded to them, they then therefore issued court proceedings to my new address. I pointed out to the judge that this wasn't true as clearly the CCJ was recorded at my old address and that in 6 years at my newer address I had never recieved anything from the claimant. Is that helpful?

Thanks again, @TheMould, I don't have any reference to the POC, as the court has never provided me with the claim papers, I asked the judge and he just said you know what it relates to and read out the POC to me.

From memory they stated that they had sent me numerous letters and that I had never responded to them, they then therefore issued court proceedings to my new address. I pointed out to the judge that this wasn't true as clearly the CCJ was recorded at my old address and that in 6 years at my newer address I had never recieved anything from the claimant. Is that helpful?

Then simply submit the statute barred Defence posted above by CB.

Kind regards

The Mould

:) please keep us updated with progress :)

BCOBS

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again caggers! Just came home to a 'Notice of Hearing of Application' It states 'The hearing re limitation point (see copy attached - NO copy attached btw) will take place on 6 March 2014 at ...... County Court. It then goes on to to say that either party should contact them before hand if the case is settled before the hearing.

I will call them tomorrow to find out a bit more, but do you think this is this usual? I guess the set aside was granted but now it seems to be relisted with another court date, is this for me to have the chance to submit my defence (in your opinion), I thought that the claimant would have to resubmit the application for the process to start again? (I guess they have???)

Clearly Confused.com

Hi again caggers! Just came home to a 'Notice of Hearing of Application' It states 'The hearing re limitation point (see copy attached - NO copy attached btw) will take place on 6 March 2014 at ...... County Court. It then goes on to to say that either party should contact them before hand if the case is settled before the hearing.

I will call them tomorrow to find out a bit more, but do you think this is this usual? I guess the set aside was granted but now it seems to be relisted with another court date, is this for me to have the chance to submit my defence (in your opinion), I thought that the claimant would have to resubmit the application for the process to start again? (I guess they have???)

Clearly Confused.com

Your Defence is statute barred, the burden of proving otherwise is on the Claimant. Rely upon the statute barred Defence as per CB's post above. File and serve the same within 7 days of hearing (a copy to the Court and a copy to the Claimant) put the Claimant to the strictest of proof on his claim, which you deny as is statute barred, therefore, the claimant is required to produce tangible evidence to the contrary which is irrefutable.

Kind regards

The Mould

• 4 months later...