Help with Set Aside -***Claim Struck Out***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3690 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a hearing on Tuesday for a set aside for a CCJ from a company called Westcot. They applied for A CCJ last year that I only noticed on my credit report earlier this year.

The CCJ was recorded at my old address which I moved out of 6 years ago. My defence is that I never received any paperwork, no court letters or default notices from the original creditor who are called Provident and also that they had access to my credit file so would have known that I moved as my new address had been showing for some time as has my registration on the E Roll.

I haven't had time to SAR provident to obtain information so I have nothing pertaining to the debt orthe agreement.

Just wanted some advice as to what to expect as I am really nervous I was just going to turn up on my own, no solicitor but don;t know what I need to take to prepare and what questions may I be asked to answer?

Will the court look at me less favourably for having the debt? Or will the fact remain that I hadn't received anything?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ganymede,

Thanks for your response. I can't remember who I contacted at the time, I can't prove either way, at that time I had lots of issues with a long term relationship breaking down so had to move, I had been diagnosed clinically depressed and put on medication so I pretty much buried my head in the sand. Not an excuse for some I know but at the time things were really not good for me.

My defence would be Wescot using an old address that I have not lived at since 2007. I have had no correspondence from Westcot and court claim and associated paperwork has never been received. My current address has been on public record with the credit reference agencies throughout the whole period, so Wescot had access to the correct address information when applying for the court claim. I think they filed it at my old address to gain a default judgement.

Cheers

OK right I undertand now, thanks very much for the direction and advice. I had been researching and completely missed the defence bit as I presumed defense was no papers received. Glad I asked the question. Judgement was obtained July 2012, so probably 6 months short of it becoming SB.

If no payments had been made for 6 years then your defence would simply be that it was statute barred !

When you applied to have the CCJ set aside, did you obtain the paperwork that the original claim was based on ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I've just seen the below on the forum, Is my point of defence if they represent the claim or am I still missing it, not with it!

Once you make application to set a side there are various options open to the claimant:-

The norm is they re present the claim and it starts again...ie you defend.

They object to the set a side the Court can determine.

They accept the set a side and dont represent the claim.

I have a question about SB and dates, would the debt have to have been statute barred BEFORE the date they issued the claim with the court?

“OK right I undertand now, thanks very much for the directionand advice. I had been researching and completely missed the defence bit as Ipresumed defense was no papers received. Glad I asked the question. Judgementwas obtained July 2012, so probably 6 months short of it becoming SB.”

Asno Court papers received, the judgment obtained is null and void, therefore,as stated by CB , your Defence for the upcominghearing is debt claimed is statute barred and no service of original claim wasever received as you had moved address, this is clearly proven by your creditreference files which show your change of address (xyz years ago), whichClaimant had full access to in respect of the debt claimed and he would,therefore, had known my address for service of his said claim as it is recordedtherein. (bring three copies of your CRA Files to Court for the hearing insupport of your argument – one copy for Court, one for Claimant and one for you– refer to same and contend that Claimant clearly knew of your new address andhas no valid reason for not placing the same on his claim)

Setaside is – statute barred debt and non-service of claim.

Kindregards

TheMould

I have a question about SB and dates, would the debt have to have been statute barred BEFORE the date they issued the claim with the court?

yes claim issue stops the clock.

Edited by Ford

“OK right I undertand now, thanks very much for the directionand advice. I had been researching and completely missed the defence bit as Ipresumed defense was no papers received. Glad I asked the question. Judgementwas obtained July 2012, so probably 6 months short of it becoming SB.”

Asno Court papers received, the judgment obtained is null and void, therefore,as stated by CB , your Defence for the upcominghearing is debt claimed is statute barred and no service of original claim wasever received as you had moved address, this is clearly proven by your creditreference files which show your change of address (xyz years ago), whichClaimant had full access to in respect of the debt claimed and he would,therefore, had known my address for service of his said claim as it is recordedtherein. (bring three copies of your CRA Files to Court for the hearing insupport of your argument – one copy for Court, one for Claimant and one for you– refer to same and contend that Claimant clearly knew of your new address andhas no valid reason for not placing the same on his claim)

Setaside is – statute barred debt and non-service of claim.

Kindregards

TheMould

With respect the OP said that the claim was issued before it became SB so there is no defence there as the SB clock stops on issue.

Service on a last known address is still good service, I'm not sure a Judge would expect a credit search on every debtor before issuing a claim. If no notification of a change of address then how was the creditor to know the OP had moved?

I'm actually not 100% sure when it would have been SB as I have no paperwork , I know I moved out the end of May 2007 but unsure of how soon before that anything was paid/acknowleged. Judgement is dated July 2012 so it's not looking like it's going in my favour. I will have to SAR provident as I genuinely have no recollection.

Some contradictory views, I'll go with worse case scenario and present as much as can, I guess it could just depend on the judge on the day?

I am putting together an SAR now, I read that you have to be careful that they don't take that as a payment towards the debt. I'll say on Tuesday that I have requested the information from Provident to prove the SB in my favour, as I don't want to cancel the court date at such short notice. Stressed!!!! Thank you :)

What time is the hearing on Tuesday ?

Will you have time to telephone the Provident before the hearing and ask the question. Please confirm to me the last date any payment was made to this account ?

If you are not able to get through or the provident cant say for sure.. when you get to the court, you could say that you believe the account was statute barred at or before the issuing of the original claim papers and that this would have been your defence.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Some statute barred information for you.

Many DCAs will argue that limitation accrues from the time when the "default notice" is issued. It does not.

Limitation clock starts ticking from when the payment is due and not paid not when they send a default notice.

We see often that CRA entries will date 5 or 6 months ahead of when the payment was missed.

People need to be sure that they aren’t being hoodwinked and that the DCA is extending limitation so they can sue when they are not allowed to.

You are advising that you have never received any Default Notice, requests for payments, letter before action, etc. Any of these sent by mail would most likely have been returned to them if you were no longer living at the address they had for you aside from which - Provident collect on the doorstep, so that should also have alerted them to the fact that you had moved. So it makes no sense that they then issue a claim at an address they must have know you didn't live at.

BCOBS

Hearing is at 12pm, so yes I will have time to call them. I just have no clue when payment was last made, at a guess a few months before I moved out in 2007 or it could have been 2006, so frustrating, I was on anti depressants at the time and that period is a bit of a blur for me. I have a copy of a credit report from 2011 and there is nothing on there relating to Provident or Westcot, I would have expected to have seen a default on there leading up to the CCJ but there is nothing.