TV License fines....BBC responsible for over 10% of all criminal prosecutions in Magistrates Courts

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3654 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

'Behind the scenes' a great deal of information has been submitted to Mr Andrew Bridgen MP regarding the new clause that he has submitted to the Deregulation Bill that would decriminalise non-payment of the television licence, making it instead a civil offence.

Voting will take place later today in the House of Commons. So far over 160 MP's look set to support the new clause. I am sure that we all wish him good luck.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes let's hope it goes through, it is obnoxious that the status quo is effectively in extremis, Capita a private company can enable someone to go to jail.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Bailiff companies will be pleased as clearly less people will pay and more will go to civil enforcement.... :|

Tongue in cheek.........I wonder what percentage of the those that don't pay are the 'can't pays'.......civil enforcement or not you still can't get blood out of a stone........:lol:

Tongue in cheek.........I wonder what percentage of the those that don't pay are the 'can't pays'.......civil enforcement or not you still can't get blood out of a stone........:lol:

It is significant that in the 1980's and 1990's the main womens prison population were single parents on benefits jailed for non payment of fines for no TV License, indeed it will mainly be the can't pays hounded by bailiffs.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Also tongue in cheek ......

As a TV Licence is allowed on the Common Financial Statement, perhaps we ought to be thinking of allowing those on certain benefits to receive subsidies or even free licences. It could even be that it should be means tested, as the OAP's who would lose their free entitlement might balance out the ones on benefit who can't pay it. A win - win situation with no nasty bailiffs getting involved. :wink:

Also tongue in cheek ......

As a TV Licence is allowed on the Common Financial Statement, perhaps we ought to be thinking of allowing those on certain benefits to receive subsidies or even free licences. It could even be that it should be means tested, as the OAP's who would lose their free entitlement might balance out the ones on benefit who can't pay it. A win - win situation with no nasty bailiffs getting involved. :wink:

That is too much like Common Sense Coughdrop LoL,

I have just heard that Andrew Bridgen MP's amendments (numbers 19 and 20) have been AGREED !!!

The Committee congratulated this back bench MP for managing to bring such significant changes to the law and for gathering so much support from all parties.

The law cannot change until 2016 and the amendments now mean that a year long review will be undertaken. Capita were mentioned a great deal during the debate !!!

I have just heard that Andrew Bridgen MP's amendments (numbers 19 and 20) have been AGREED !!!

The Committee congratulated this back bench MP for managing to bring such significant changes to the law and for gathering so much support from all parties.

The law cannot change until 2016 and the amendments now mean that a year long review will be undertaken. Capita were mentioned a great deal during the debate !!!

All accurate, and indicative of Capita's corrosive influence on anything they touch, and highlighting the arrogance and incompetence inherent within Capita I would hope

Don't tell me someone happened to read this thread by any chance?

Wonder if the MPs were castigating Crapita or praising their record of enabling poor people to have a holiday in prison?

Don't tell me someone happened to read this thread by any chance?

In fact...only a few moments ago I received a very nice email from Andrew Bridgen MP personally thanking me for all the information that I have been providing to him (a copy of this thread was indeed included !!!)

I believe that lessening the burden of proof to the civil standard will cause an increase in these cases. The new bailiff fees will make this a cash spinner in my opinion.

I foresee a further change to the new fee regulations to include these debts. I would be very happy to be found wrong by future events.