• Tweets

• Hi and thanks It looks like they ticked all the boxes to me but I'll try and upload the notice. I was wondering if a witness to late delivery might be considered proof - I'm assuming they posted it as normal but Royal Mail stuffed up delivery. If not then they're really saying it just has to be posted within 12 days of the incident, regardless of when it is received. Annoying! edit ok thanks Honeybee here's my 2nd (actually 3rd) attempt at anonymising, copying and uploading the notice! Sorry about the state of it - I sat on it while distracted by my dog 🙃 pcn front.pdf pcn back page.pdf
    • ROFL - dont get upset just because someone (quite a lot of someones) dont want smart meters - well unless you get paid for it .. in which case ...   I assume you haven't been with Octopus long enough to be on one of the very long fixed price tariffs they offered before the prices went bonkers .. and that you dont use your electricity in the evening/lunch time if you think the 'agile type tariffs are good value .. let alone worth installing a smart meter for - high price a good disincentive for an evening cuppa eh? Let alone all your computer/tv etc time in the peak price evening or lunch time. - and boy do those peak prices instantly hammer your bill when those Russian and middle eastern issues kick off.   I would only have considered a smart meter if solar panels had been an option for me - but roof is oriented completely the wrong way. Oh - and My opinion hasn't changed since the smart meter trials 40 years ago, because neither have the issues (well not enough) but I'm happy for you. Be happy for me.
    • Hi. I'm afraid I've had to hide your post with the pdf files to keep this anonymous for you. You've left the PCN reference number and your car reg showing. Could you edit that and repost please? HB    
    • Well naturally if you want to maintain your outrage, and retain something to bitch about, then arguing about the level of your fixed monthly DD is the way to go. You are of course perfectly free to ignore the easy solution.
    • His financial situation isn’t great, and the landlord has made lots of things up. The things he’s put isn’t true at all. My friend did tell the full truth with incoming and outgoing, I helped him fill in his form and he checked bills etc. to make sure it was right. His wage is ok, but not as good as the landlord thinks it is,  and he doesn’t have anything spare. How much are they likely to take from him? Should he send any reply?  the letter just says to take the court letter with him. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

TV License fines....BBC responsible for over 10% of all criminal prosecutions in Magistrates Courts

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3675 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Why do you think HM Governments have successively removed our right to bear arms, as enshrined in the US Constitution? It is to prevent an armed uprising when they go too far.

I see what you're saying but if you consider that if they go too far (they're not far off IMHO) that laws will go out the window and whatever arms can be found will be brought to bear. That said i seriously doubt a 12-bore in a novices hands could out-shoot an M16, GPMG or similar in the hands of a fully trained soldier, not that we have many of those left now, thanks to successive governments!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To ensure that this thread does not go "off topic" I will find my initial thread about to proposed Part 6 (Third Party Goods) and queries can get posted on there.

Given the significance of Part 6 I will send a message to the site team to see whether they will be interested in incorporating my recent article about this provision into a Newsletter.

To ensure that this thread does not go "off topic" I will find my initial thread about to proposed Part 6 (Third Party Goods) and queries can get posted on there.

Given the significance of Part 6 I will send a message to the site team to see whether they will be interested in incorporating my recent article about this provision into a Newsletter.

Yes please do, site team should allow you incorporate this into a newsletter, it is a fundamental shift away from natural justice, and a licence for bailiffs to seize and sell a car without any check and balance, and an innocent lose out, as the debt is satisfied due to bailiff selling third party cars, would they then go after the debtor for more fees, or will the court be satisfied that as an innocent has lost their car due to inability to afford the interpleader, and as Marstondales have sold it, the fine is now paid?

We cannot afford to let this one rest between now and April. I feel a campaign coming on.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Can you send it to either me or Michael Browne, please TT.. we are always interested in articles for our newsletter :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I will send you the entire article to read so that you can see the "arguments" that I have raised about the problems that WILL occur if Part 6 goes ahead as it is planned. I can then edit the article down to suit.

Will arrange in the morning.

:thumb:

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I will send you the entire article to read so that you can see the "arguments" that I have raised about the problems that WILL occur if Part 6 goes ahead as it is planned. I can then edit the article down to suit.

Will arrange in the morning.

I feel confident that site team will be both amazed and extremely concerned as we are when they see the absolute breadth of the muppetry contained in Part 6 TCGA, and the potential for widespread abuse by bailiffs before something is done about it. There will as WD mentions not a car safe in the uk from bailiffs with a resultant crash in secondhand car prices as Marstondales, Jacobs, JBW, Collectica, Equita, Ross 'n Robbers, Busted & Stupor and the rest all go beserk with seizures.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Crapita will carry on regardless, odds on he gets more threatOgrams so business as usual :mad2:

Yes, well done Mr Troy.

Very interesting that they didn't let it get to court, hopefully more people will follow suit.

Edited by citizenB

BCOBS

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but some serious TVL shenanigans are highlighted here again :

http://tv-licensing.blogspot.co.uk/

One thing to bear in mind is that while TV License evasion is classed as criminal, and Capita use these self employed chancers, people taken in by all the guff spouted by Capitas/TVL and a misconception that they somehow have a status above any other door knocker in the puplic eye; innocent people who either don't own a TV or who don't need a licence for their type of use will be conned into confessing all to the salesperson and end up with a bailiff at the door, as per this thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?416019-TV-License-and-Collectia

Expect the BBC and Capita to try to lobby for OWNERSHIP of any device capable of displaying any video live or pre-recorded to require the license, as they are whinging about the loads of legal evaders, NOT watching broadcast TV just streaming Netflix, or YouTube, a misnomer if ever there was one, as if a license is not needed what the hell are they evading? Oh yes of course, they are neglecting to volunteer to swell Capita/BBC coffers for something they don't need.

Just came across this thread and thought I would share my recent experience with the tv licence people. We moved into a flat previously occupied by my other halfs dad. Obviously when you just move money is tight so we thought we would just wait for a letter telling us we needed a licence then phone and get one. We got no warning letters, only a final reminder type thing but as we were skint at the time i thought we would get a licence the following week when we could maybe afford to start making the payments.

Low and behold while im at work a few days later two big blokes turn up at the door, and pretty much barge their way into my house and start writing down all these details about my tv etc. Indecently my partner was watching netflix at the time and they told him he had to turn it off to show them that the tv was able to receive normal tv. he has learning disabilities and doesnt do confrontation at the best of times so he turned the tv on. he was bullied and told he would be fined 1000 pounds if he didnt set up a direct debit right then and there, he told them time and time again that he has learning disabilities and does not deal with anything financial, they would have to speak to me. They said to him 'you had better get her here then' and obviously he could not do this because i was at work in the hospital, not like i can just leave so they tried to bully him some more telling him all about this fine he would get and how we would get taken to court and get a criminal record which he knows could affect my career so he started panicking. Eventually he managed to convince them that he was unable to set up a direct debit as he does not have a bank account to set one up with, they actually asked him if he had my bank details would you believe! so they reluctantly left us with a swipe card.

I called to complain and to be fair the person I spoke to was lovely and made sure he noted all the details of my complaint as by the time i was home the complaint person was no longer in the office (apparently there is only one complaint person). Surprisingly I did receive a callback from the complaints guy who again was very nice and noted my complaint and promised it would be dealt with within a certain amount of time (a few weeks i think cant really remember), I received a letter telling me my complaint was being investigated and thought that was fine.

A few weeks later i got a letter from complaints people saying that they had interviewed the officer and he denied anything and basically they were taking his word over mine. Fuming I called again and eventually got through to a complaints person again, who said it would be out of character for the officer to act that way and there had never been any complaints before. I had a massive argument with this woman who had the cheek to try and tell me about the law, to which i replied 'if you want to talk about the law, lets talk about the law of tresspass' She said my partner gave no indication that he was not 'an appropriate person to be interviewed' I pointed out that he had told the officer several times about his learning disabilities and she said their officers are trained to spot people who are 'not appropriate to be interviewed' I asked how exactly this was and she said well your partner was able to answer the door and confirmed his name and address! I told her most five year olds are probably capable of this and asked if they would be fined 1000 pounds for not having a tv licence. She told me if i had a problem to go to my MP, suits me the office is just around the corner from my house i said and hung up.

Sorry for the rant, I am just fuming with what happened and the response I have had to my complaint.

Sadly this is not uncommon with TVL of late. I am disgusted that these plonkers are so nasty, TVL like bailiffs are out of control, sadly displaying the result of being run by Crapita whose bailiffs Equita and Ross 'n Robbers are not exactly ethical either. A nightclub bouncer would be dealt with far more harshly if they acted like bailiffs and some TVL goons

Where I live we often get callers for correct number wrong street. Next TVL goon for the other address will be faced with a pro video camcorder in their face and the offer of an interview under caution, if they don't leave. and he starts on about license he will be told curtly Don't you know it's all in the database so go check it! If he doesn't leave the cat will probably attack him as this cat hates strangers.

A written complaint to TVL and the MP, but bear in mind TVL will most likely issue a summons at the last minute say in 5 months time.

Your experience is another reason for abolishing this soooo 20th Century imposition.

kirstyo

I am so pleased that you have shared your appalling experience with the forum. As you will have seen this thread has received over 12,000 viewers and your post is a further warning of the dangers of allowing a TV Licence inspector into your property.

I would really urge you to take a copy of your complaint to your local MP because only recently a discussion took place in the House of Commons on the subject of "decriminalising " TV licence evasion.

The more complaints that are made to MP's the better.

Question: Is there any legal requirement to inform the TVL if you no longer use a TV ?

I have three here:

1. An old 625 line B&W portable.
  2. A 19" LCD/DVD combo that was purchased purely for use as a computer monitor (has never been tuned in or connected to an aerial).
  3. A 32" LCD connected to a DVD player and occasionally, a computer. Has been disconnected from an aerial and been "untuned".

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Question: Is there any legal requirement to inform the TVL if you no longer use a TV ?

I have three here:

1. An old 625 line B&W portable.
  2. A 19" LCD/DVD combo that was purchased purely for use as a computer monitor (has never been tuned in or connected to an aerial).
  3. A 32" LCD connected to a DVD player and occasionally, a computer. Has been disconnected from an aerial and been "untuned".

There is no legal compulsion, HOWEVER you will receive an endless and ever more threatening series of threatOgrams saying what will happen when the goon stitches you up on the doorstep and prosecutes you on your own admissions, for the TV you don't need a license for. Oned of them helpfully (not) states what is going to happen to Mr Legal Occupier when he/She attends court, and says you can take the threatOgram into court with you for information. All very nasty and if TVL were a DCA they would be closed down for the tactics they use. Are any of your TV's digital tuner, or would they need a Freeview box to display a channel? If so you don't need a license. In any event your usage would not anyway.

The Brtish psyche ,

Please excuse this slightly off subject message . I have mentioned this somewhere on a post before . Why do people engage in conversation and even invite strangers into their homes ?

We wont tell a well meaning Jehovas witness politely where to go , we stand there for a few minutes . trying to pluck up the courage to tell them no thanks . Back to the point my ex downstairs neighbour works in my local Trashcos . I see her occasionally and she beckoned me over one day and said that a man came round looking for me ( a door stepper ) He asked her loads of questions , did I live there ect which she happily gave answers . The million dollar question she couldn 't answer where exactly had I moved to . I said to her did he say who he worked for did he show any id ect. she said no but the reason she confessed to him is he had a clipboard and sounded official !! Rant over

Only numbers 2 & 3 are capable of receiving digital TV broadcasts IF they are tuned in. No freeview boxes or sky/virgin set-top boxes on the premises. No software installed on any computer to watch live streamed video. No means of recording any broadcast TV signals... Is there anything worth watching anyways....

Doorstep callers have the option of having their ID card cut up if I can not verify them, and always get told to f*** off in no uncertain terms unless they are friends, family, making a delivery, or have an appointment. ThreatOgrams get treated with the contempt they deserve and rarely elicit a response. Unsolicited phone calls are answered in a variety of ways, ranging from a demand for their credit details to a blunt F.O.

We wont tell a well meaning Jehovas witness politely where to go , we stand there for a few minutes . trying to pluck up the courage to tell them no thanks.

Don't even get me started on religious sects :mad2:

The last one that rang the doorbell and woke me up got a flea in his ear about "damned christians coming round here plagiarising our ancient pagan rituals, be on your way before I set Cerberus on you."

(apologies to practising Christians)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

The Brtish psyche ,

Please excuse this slightly off subject message . I have mentioned this somewhere on a post before . Why do people engage in conversation and even invite strangers into their homes ?

We wont tell a well meaning Jehovas witness politely where to go , we stand there for a few minutes . trying to pluck up the courage to tell them no thanks . Back to the point my ex downstairs neighbour works in my local Trashcos . I see her occasionally and she beckoned me over one day and said that a man came round looking for me ( a door stepper ) He asked her loads of questions , did I live there ect which she happily gave answers . The million dollar question she couldn 't answer where exactly had I moved to . I said to her did he say who he worked for did he show any id ect. she said no but the reason she confessed to him is he had a clipboard and sounded official !! Rant over

Anyone showing up at my door with a clipboard gets a camcorder pointed at them. Many just leg i after that. One said "stop you don't have my permission to film me" I said tough I didn't ask you to call, I have the right to film what I want on my property and that includes you, and I now hereby revoke any implied right of access now and in the future so begone trespasser. Usually works with double glazing salesman and their ilk. I don't do it to Jehovas though I quite enjoy a theological argument with a cultist.

A TVL goon said he would return with a search warrant, I said so when you return with the warrant and the police I will show the police the TV license, and you will look a dick.