Sick days after annual leave.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3893 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was off on annual leave on Monday and Tuesday of this week. On the Tuesday morning I woke up feeling very rough. On the Wednesday I contacted work to say I would not be in. I still felt ill yesterday so again informed work I would not be in and will be attending the doctors. The doctors diagnosed me with a chest infection. I was still feeling unwell this morning so again rang in.

Im just wondering if anybody has any past experience with a situation like this before as I'm worried I will not be paid for my sick days. The copy if my contract is in my locker at work so I cannot look that up but I'm sure there nothing in there regarding this.

Any info with this would be helpful thanks

I can only speak from personal experience you are allowed to self certificate yourself for 7 days( including weekends) after that you will need a doctors note . I would say you have done everything right by keeping your work imformed and also seeing the doctor thereby there is a record . does your contract allow for a certiain number of sick days

Yes I've been there 8 and half years so I'm entitled to 20 days sick. I didn't get a note off the doctor I didn't even get any medication, he said its best to self medicate with a chest infection.

Yes I've been there 8 and half years so I'm entitled to 20 days sick. I didn't get a note off the doctor I didn't even get any medication, he said its best to self medicate with a chest infection.

I would agree .

I'm just worried when I return on Tuesday they either won't pay me for my 2 days holiday or my 3 days sick leave.

Why? Has that happened to anyone else?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I expect that most employers now a days have a clause in the terms of employment that states a full shift must be completed prior to taking annual leave and the first day on returning from annual leave. In this case you have not done so therefore they have the right to not pay you. As for number of sick days it is a statutory 26 weeks and if you employer is bugging you after 20 days I would soon have him for harassment.

I expect that most employers now a days have a clause in the terms of employment that states a full shift must be completed prior to taking annual leave and the first day on returning from annual leave.

Never had that in any of my contracts.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Your contract is the key to this, as is what has happened in similar circumstances with colleagues. We used to not pay company sick pay for the first three days of absence in order to weed out those who went sick either after holiday or after a weekend, but that was enshrined in the contract.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I'm sure it's not in the contract. As I said I visited the doctor who diagnosed me with a chest infection. I feel ill when I was on my annual leave so really I should be owed a days holiday lol

In general, if you have been sick over six days, you need a doctor's certificate ('fit-note' now?) for anything over. Your Doctor will know this, and understand, but you have to make it clear (he may think you're still on holiday, or something?). Self-medication or prescribed medication, it doesn't matter- they will want certified proof of your sickness for obvious reasons!

BTW, re. your last point about being owed a day- yes! If you had phoned sick on the Tuesday, because you can be either sick or on A/L not both, you would be marked down as sick and the leave cancelled. So, yes, you would have got that day back. But because you effectively 'used' your leave before entering a sick period, you won't. Ultimately, your- and their- contractual stipulations are the key here, as has been said.

Get well soon...

Also, you normally don't get paid sick leave (at least statutory sick pay, company sick pay may differ) for the first 3 days of being sick. Some companies may pay those days as holiday if you ask but they don't have to.

Still on the lookout for buried treasure!

Any advice I give here is based on my own experiences throughout my life, career and training and should not be taken as accurate. If in doubt, speak to someone more qualified - a Solicitor, Citizens Advice to name but two possible avenues!