• Tweets

• the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
    • The music streaming service reports record profits of over €1bn (£860m) after laying off 1500 staff.View the full article
    • deed?  you mean consent order you and her signed? concluding the case as long as you nor she break it's conditions signed upto? dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

datxman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3643 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

How do you mean, two seperate accounts? If the claim is actually for charges levied on two seperate accounts then yes, you can submit them seperately, and should, if its say a Ccard and current a/c. If the charges have been levied to one account then no, you can't just split it. To be honest though I fail to see how this would save you money anyway.

No, magistrates courts only deal with criminal matters, its the County Court you need - http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/HMCSCourtFinder/

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Letter before action put in todays post.

Lloyds TSB - Business.

Prelim Ltr sent 3/11/06

Rcd 'Thank you for complaining' letter 8/11/06, dated 6/11/06.

LBA snt today - 17-11-06, nothing rcd back other than letter above.

Rcd ltr from 'Andover Service Rec Cntr' saying they will reply to my comp in the next 2 weeks. ltr rcd yesterday 18/11/06, dated 16/11/06.

Received letter from Andover Rec Cntr 25/11/06 dated the 22/11/06 - Saying they do not agree with my complaint.

Rcd ltr from 'Andover Service Recovery Centre' saying they will reply to complaint in next 2 weeks. (Same letter as the 22/11/06). letter rcd 02/12/06, dated 01/12/06.

Received reply (I assume) to my LBA letter which was acknowledged on the 2/12/06. Just a load of total babble that doesn't really say anything.

28/12/06 - Claim filed at County Court

N R

I have been chasing Lloyds ref charges on my business accounts, I have serveral accounts so I have delt with them one at a time. I also have an overdraft so I was concerned that they would close my account. I sent the personal letters and entered the defence as if it was a personal account unti I realised it should have been altered. I thought I was in for a court fight no court date issused yet. So to my surpaise I received a letter saying they were going to refund £4k plus into my account. So keeping going and hopefully Lloyds will refund yours . I am now waiting for my second action with them to settle

Mortgage Man

Received yesterday (18/11/06) basically the same letter as last time, but from a different department, 'Andover Service Recovery Centre'. Anyone any idea what this lot do, just the 'recovery' bit in there title makes me nervous?

I sent the LBA the previous Birmingham address, should I also send it to the Andover address as well, or assume that LTSB can communicate between themselves, after all, if they can't it's not my fault, I only sent it where they asked me to send it.

In two weeks it gets escalated to court action. Which is the best route to go down, the on-line service or file it at county court?

Lloyds TSB - Business.

Prelim Ltr sent 3/11/06

Rcd ltr from 'Andover Service Rec Cntr' saying they will reply to my comp in the next 2 weeks. ltr rcd yesterday 18/11/06, dated 16/11/06.

Received letter from Andover Rec Cntr 25/11/06 dated the 22/11/06 - Saying they do not agree with my complaint.

Rcd ltr from 'Andover Service Recovery Centre' saying they will reply to complaint in next 2 weeks. (Same letter as the 22/11/06). letter rcd 02/12/06, dated 01/12/06.

Received reply (I assume) to my LBA letter which was acknowledged on the 2/12/06. Just a load of total babble that doesn't really say anything.

No, don't send another LBA. Does'nt matter where the reply came from, you sent it, thats the important thing. The Birmingham address is also the 'Customer Service Recovery Centre' so it must be a different branch of the same department.

I always advise people to file direct at the court. Space is'nt an issue for adequate particularisation like it is online, and you can attach your schedule. If you do file online, be sure to send a schedule of charges by post as soon as you've issued the claim.

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Well... after checking the Royal Mail webiste and entering my track and trace number a few times this week, I rang them today. You think the wifey from Royal Mail was reading a script, blah blah blah....it may take upto fifteen days to be delivered first class as it's not guarenteed......blah blah blah, it may have been deliverd and not signed for blah blah blah.

Anyway.... the upshot is I sent my LBA on the 17th of November to the Birmingham address as reqested to do so by LTSB. I don't know one week later if it has been delivered. I haven't received a 'dear john' letter to say they have it.

Should I send another copy tomorrow, giving them a further 2 weeks from the 25th? I could ring them but really don't want to enter into any dialogue with them about it.

Lloyds TSB - Business.

Prelim Ltr sent 3/11/06

NR

Beware I received a letter today giving me notice that they intend to close all my accounts and I have good balances in them, So get other accounts ready

Mortgage Man

Thanks, I do intend to move my accounts anyway. Maybe it'll be the prod i need to do it. Trouble is, who does do a good business banking service.

Lloyds TSB - Business.

Prelim Ltr sent 3/11/06

Received a letter this morning saying they are not going to uphold my complaint. Looks prety much like a standard letter, saying they will not enter into anymore correspondance over it, and if I want to take it further will have to take it up with the ombudsman. Also says they do not agree with the OFT ruling, and they publish their charges and after legal advice they beleive that their charges are not default charges.

Lloyds TSB - Business.

Prelim Ltr sent 3/11/06

Yeah its all standard. Proceed as per your timescale. The 'service charge' arguement sounds good but when you scratch the surface its easy to see that it would'nt stand up in court. Heres why not - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloydstsb-successes/7744-garyh-lloyds-tsb-unconditionally-3.html#post339177.

Just started my own thread, as about to start my own action. Ant help or advice from you kind experienced people would be much appreciated.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloyds-bank/49379-photoman-lloyds-business.html

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Received in this morning’s post another ‘dear john’ letter worded exactly the one that was previously received in reply to my first letter. So I assume that the LBA letter sent to Birmingham has worked its way to Andover, and that’s what today’s letter is in response to.

Anyway… as of yesterday their 2 weeks from the LBA letter is up. I will do the N1 over the weekend for filing at one of the county courts locally.

Just need to know. What address do I use for the N1 for the bank?

As this is a business claim, are their any variations for the form that I should be aware of?

Lloyds TSB - Business.

Prelim Ltr sent 3/11/06

The registered office is best, 25 Gresham St.

I think you need to use particulars which are amended to remove reference to the UTCCR's and UCTA, as these are consumer regulations. In its place, you could elaberate on the common law basis of the claim if you wanted to.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm struggling to fill in my N1 for for a business account. Don't know what to remove or add!!

HELP!!

Lloyds TSB - Business.

Prelim Ltr sent 3/11/06

IN THE ANYWHERE COUNTY COURT

BETWEEN

JOE BLOGGS CLAIMANT

And

GRABBBIT BANK LTD DEFENDANT

PARTICULARS OF CLAIM

1. The Claimant [has] [had] an account 1 ("the Account") with the Defendant which was opened on or around 2 [and closed on or around 2 ]

2. During the period in which the Account [has been] [was] operating the Defendant debited numerous charges to the Account in respect of purported breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant and also charged interest on the charges once applied. The Claimant understands that the Defendant contends that the charges were debited in accordance with the terms of the contract between itself and the Claimant.

3. A list of the charges applied is attached to these particulars of claim.

4. The Claimant contends that:

a) The charges debited to the Account are punitive in nature; are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the Defendant; exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant; and are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss, but instead unduly enrich the Defendant which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit.

b) The contractual provision that permits the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of the common law. The precidant for the law relating to contractual penalties was set in the case of Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage Moter Co Ltd (1915) AC 79. Additionally, in the case of Murray v Leisureplay (2005) EWCA Civ 963 it was held that a contractual party may only recover damages in respect of its actual loss or liquidated losses.

5. Accordingly the Claimant claims:

a) the return of the amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of £ 3 and any interest charged thereon;

b) Court costs;

c) Interest pursuant to section 69 County Courts Act as set out on the attached list of charges or at such rate and for such periods as the court deems just.

I believe that the contents of these particulars of claim are true

Signed:

Thats what I'd put anyway.

Thanks, you should be on commission

One last dim question. What do I put in the brief details and claim, and value? I feel as though I know what it should be, but just want it to be right.

Lloyds TSB - Business.

Prelim Ltr sent 3/11/06

Not dim at all, we've all asked those questions at some point.

Brief details;

The Claimant claims the return of money taken by the Defendant bank in the form of penalty charges levied to the Claimants bank account, plus interest at the statutory rate.

Value;

Charges £***

Interest £***

Its also worth noting that your/your companies name should be followed by Ltd, or if not Firm, or sole trader, whichever applies. Simularly, Lloyds bank should be followed by Plc. Seems like piffling details I know, but they could send it back if they're not included!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just put in my N1 form at my local court, for one of my accounts with Lloyds TSB. They said that they may dispute it as I did not put on it Plc so they said that they could be funny and say that no such company belongs there. Do you think this will be the case?

Datxman v Lloyds TSB 2006 ** WON** 27/2/2006

With no conditions

Datxman v Capital One 2006

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter sent - July 2006

Non-compliance letter sent - 11/09/2006

enforcement letter sent - 11/09/2006

Statements finally received - 27/09/06

Prelim Letter - sent 28/09/06 - £540

Lowell has bought the debt and I have asked them to wipe it clean due to lack of funds

Datxman v Barclaycard 2006

Won no conditions

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Time is running out for the banks :)

Well I was late in doing it, but Christmas is a busy time for us, but I made the effort to go to the County Court on the 28th of December and filed my Claim. I asked the clerk if she had seen many of these claim she said loads. She also said that they initially did the first lot of these claims in a batch, and wasn’t sure what they were going to do with the next lot of claims.

Sent it to Gresham Street, not marked for anyone particular though.

But thanks again for your help Gary H.

Lloyds TSB - Business.

Prelim Ltr sent 3/11/06

I also put the customer recovery address on there, instead of the head office will this alter things.:confused:

With no conditions

Lowell has bought the debt and I have asked them to wipe it clean due to lack of funds

Won no conditions

Just put in my N1 form at my local court, for one of my accounts with Lloyds TSB. They said that they may dispute it as I did not put on it Plc so they said that they could be funny and say that no such company belongs there. Do you think this will be the case?

Should'nt be a problem, but the worst that could happen is that the court would return it for you to re-do.

The Birmingham address is fine.

Cheers for that, it has put my mind at rest a bit.:D

With no conditions

Won no conditions

Well they have acknowledged receipt of the claim on the 4th and have already submitted a defence (which I must say is the standard one)

With no conditions

Won no conditions