Charges being added after borrower's death

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2824 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am in the same predicament. My former husband died July 2012. I telephoned NatWest to find out whether I had to continue to pay the mortgage and they said I could not as the account was frozen and closed. At that stage I did not know if there was a life insurance policy which was up to date. Unfortunately he stopped paying it. So after many many letters asking for the redemption figure and a visit to the bank (I live in Canada so had to pay for a flight), they still would not speak with me. They are still adding charges, even though they said it was frozen. They have held up probate and I finally got the financial ombudsman involved. They have now written to my former mother-in-law via a solicitor to find out what is happening to the estate!!!! Very frustrating.

Who are the executors of the Will - they would be the ones to contact the bank in respect of this.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Who are the executors of the Will - they would be the ones to contact the bank in respect of this.

I am the executor of the will. I provided Nat West with everything they asked for (Bereavement and Estate Teams). They forwarded on everything to the Mortgage team in August 2012 and advised that that department would be in touch with me. They never did. By January 2012 the Bereavement Team had forwarded on several emergency emails requesting the redemption statement and contact with me. They never did. By March I telephoned the Bereavement Team (as you could never get hold of the Mortgage Team), and said I had had enough and was going to the Uk (I live in Canada) to sort it out. The Mortgage Team advised them that I needed to go the Branch and fill out forms and give them original wills, death certificates, my passport, etc etc. This I did. I then sent a letter of complaint to NatWest about this and again requested the redemption statement. I had a response back saying "as they could not prove that I was the person to talk to they would not deal with me" !!!!!!! So I contacted the Financial Ombudsmen. I finally got probate (difficult when you dont know how much you owe, if anything, on a mortgage) and sent them the forms. They since wrote to the deceased's home address and asked what was happening with the property!!!! I have since telephoned the solicitors but again they seem very slow on the uptake.

In August of 2012 I telephoned the Estates Team and offered to pay the mortgage. They said I could not as the account was frozen and closed. I have since obtained a statement (via the deceased mother) showing they they have added 13,000 pounds of interest. I just dont know what to do.

Firstly I am sorry to hear of your loss, dealing with both the loss and the resulting formalities is very stressful.

Secondly, it may be time for you to escalate your complaint further within the Royal Bank of Scotland Group. In your situation, I would write directly to the members of the board (via their head office address), the details of the members of the board and the head office address are both available via the rbs website.

Whilst given the circumstances this should not be necessary, it is clear that no progress has been made by the mortgage team.

Jerry