Defaults, DCA, and timelines

siriusb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3257 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure where to start with this...but am in the process of getting my affairs in order.

I am awaiting various SAR replies, CCA replies, some PPI claims and at some point some charges claims.

I am trying to do things in a sensible order now rather than going off half-cocked!

Had some very useful advice from DX that made me look at things in a different way

but moving on from that i'm trying to consider some of the next moves

I may need make, and i'm trying to get my head around what the law says.

Firstly I should point out currently my debts are being managed through the CCCs and I have one CCJ i will be paying for a VERY long time.

This CCJ also carries a Charging order on my property - but i'm staying put so no worries there!

Most of my defaults are three or so years old and I am paying nominal amounts on them.

I suspect of the three non-ccj debts that have been sold on two of them will not be able to provide a valid CCA.

One of these debts for some reason doesn't have a default against it but shows as an arrangement to pay on my credit file every month.

Is this allowed/legal/acceptable as they bought it with this arrangement in place?

I've seen estoppel mentioned but I don't know if it applies to me?

If i understand things correctly this DCA can register a default on my account if i were to stop paying

- and this will be the case until such time as i have paid this debt in full or come to a full and final figure?

With regards to the other debts if i just pay for the next three years and then stop

on the basis for example that the debt is unenforceable

i cannot be punished on a CRA by any means ie second defaults can't be registered,

i cannot be taken to court, etc as i will have already had the default registered on the account.

Hope this is making sense.

Would welcome any input - especially on the legal side of things.

Hx

estoppel will only apply if they make an attempt to issue a court claim or demand that you pay more than the arrangement that was in place at the time of assignment.

Defaults will drop off after the 6th anniversary whether they are being paid or not. The only time this would be a problem in extending the recording would be if a claim was issued and the opposition were to win as the CCJ would stay on the record for 6 years.

HTH.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi, I'll try and answer some points for you.

1. Yes arrangements to pay can be reported on CRA files. if in place when the account was sold then it should be continued by the debt purchaser/DCA.

2. DCAs /Debt Purchasers normally are dealing with accounts already defaulted, and the MUST continue the original default date placed by the creditor.

3. DCAs/Debt Purchasers become the Data Controller for the account when they buy the debt and are responsible for updating CRA files, if you do not pay the DCA they CANNOT PLACE A NEW DEFAULT.

4. All default entries on CRA files are removed on the 6th anniversary of the default date.

5. Having a default on file does NOT preclude court action if you fail to pay and is fairly common on larger debts.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thank you both for the replies.

I think i understand most of it. :-)

With the defaulted accounts, provided the DCA has an enforceable CCA, they could progress to applying for a CCJ if they refused to accept the payments currently going through the CCCS.

If the CCAs are not compliant then they cannot get a CCJ against me though they can still pursue me for the 'debt'.

What happens on my CRA files when the six years from the default are up? Will the accounts still show - just no default? Do the DCA then have the option to then take any further punitive action?

Hx

All references to a defaulted debt must be removed from your credit files

after 6 years has passed from date of default

- whether paid off or not.

This is so that someone who continues paying something even after 6 years from default

should not be at a disadvantage as to someone who pays nothing after default

and ends up with a clean file after 6 years.

once a debt has fallen of due to this reason, it can NEVER return.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

A debt MAY NOT be statute barred just because the default entry has been removed from CRA files.

Depending on when an agreement was signed a creditor/DCA could produce a 'reconstituted' agreement to satisfy sections 77/78 of CCA 1974, a judge may find that such a document considered with evidence of usage of an credit facility (payments to the account etc.),that liability subsists and the debt is payable.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

No! Statute Barred = 6 clear years (5 in Scotland) with NO payment and/or written acknowledgment of the debt.

• 1 month later...

I am hoping someone can clarify things for me.

I am going to make f&f to two of my creditors. I understand that I must specify in the offer about the debt not being further pursued/sold on.

BUT having nosied around cag i am not sure whether there is a legal absolute on whether the accounts can be marked settled if the full and final is only a part payment?

Any ideas?

part settled leaves the rest to be sold and chased no matter what letters you have from whomever

SETTLED & the removal of ANy neg data MUST be made a condition of any settlement.

you need to get that in writing FIRST.

don't ever offer F&F until you've reclaimed and checked CCA is Enforceable

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi,

One of them doesn't have a CCA (though bizarrely the OC has provided me with one).

Debts are managed through cccs so rather than stop paying until they track down cca am going to offer very low settlement first.

If the dca hasnt provided one then send the non compliance letter.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I'll try to keep it brief.

I have a credit card debt that has been sold to Cabot. I have reclaimed ppi (wasn't much but i reclaimed it anyway).

I have been paying this debt through the cccs for over 3 years - the same amount give or take a pound.

This debt has never had a default registered against it despite me falling behind when it was with original creditor.

I have checked my credit file and over the course of the last 8-9 months my credit files shows my payments are late, indicating I'm now 6 months late in payment.

Cccs are definately passing the money on. I have written to Cabot recorded delivery (nearly a month ago) asking them to correct this error but i have had no response.

Where can i go from here to address the issue?

Thread moved to Debt Collection Industry.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

as far as I am aware

theres no 'rule' that dictate that a creditor 'has' to mark your file when you enter a dmp.

likewise theres nothing that states they cant latterly then decide to start marking it.

ideally, it should be defaulted within 3mts of the 'cause of action' when you entered the DMP

paying a lower sum PCM than what is actually required under the agreement.

you could try and get them to backdate the markers to that date

then it would fall off quicker

as the ICO guidelines indicate this as being 'unfair' it was not done with in 3mts of the dmp or you first 3 missed/lower paymenst.

if its the only debt destroying your CRA file, then you might be able to get them removed but I doubt it.

if its not the only issue on your file

then getting it defaulted earlier will mean the whole account will vanish earlier.

dx

and they

• 1 year later...

Hoping someone can put me right about a few things as I've been trying to do my research and feel a bit confused.

My creditors are managed through StepChange.

I currently have one CCJ from 2010 that I pay as per court instructions,

I have 5 other creditors with all accounts defaulting in 2009 or 2010

except one that Cabot brought and chose not to default until 2012!

I have no issue that I owe these debts... all PPI claimed back and applied to accounts where appropriate.

I'm trying to get clear what happens after 6 years.

The CCJ falls of the register but the judgement still stands until Marlin/Cabot come up with F&F that I can afford... that makes sense.

But what about the defaults?

I thought they'd drop of my credit file and then I could make cheeky full and finals..

.. would they still be able to go for a ccj either before or after the 6 year mark?

Could any agency the debt might be sold to be able to re-register the default?

Hx

Hoping someone can put me right about a few things as I've been trying to do my research and feel a bit confused.

My creditors are managed through StepChange.

I currently have one CCJ from 2010 that I pay as per court instructions,

I have 5 other creditors with all accounts defaulting in 2009 or 2010

except one that Cabot brought and chose not to default until 2012!

I have no issue that I owe these debts... all PPI claimed back and applied to accounts where appropriate.

I'm trying to get clear what happens after 6 years.

The CCJ falls of the register but the judgement still stands until Marlin/Cabot come up with F&F that I can afford... that makes sense.

But what about the defaults?

I thought they'd drop of my credit file and then I could make cheeky full and finals.- see defaults post earlier in merged thread.

.. would they still be able to go for a ccj either before or after the 6 year mark?- if you've paid within that 6yrs yes

Could any agency the debt might be sold to be able to re-register the default?- nope see defaults post

Hx

several iike threads merged

dx

and they