• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Wonga passed loan to fraud team - help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3892 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Can anyone help please I had some loans with wonga through out 2010 but paid off loan and never used again, anyway after getting into a bit of difficulty I went to stepchange who checked my credit file and came up with a wonga debt of 1569.51 so of course I have contacted wonga who said the loan was from 9/12/2010 and as I had no knowledge of the loan except on my credit file they passed me to fraud department - who are now investigating.

What I want to know is if i did owe this money why haven't I heard from them in last nearly 3 yrs?

Are the investigators competent as in will they investigate and not just say no you owe money?

Worst case senerio if they say I am liable what do I do its a lot of money and they said original loan was for 500 now its tripled I am really worried.

What do they do in their investigation???i

Hello and Welcome,

If they say this debt is yours, get them to prove it.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

OK but how?

That's their problem.

You could always send them a Subject Access Request, they would then have to send everything they have on you regarding accounts and any payments made ect.

But I don't see why you should have to pay a £10 to do this, so I'd wait until they get back to you.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

I wouldnt worry. As already advised, it is up to THEM to prove you owe a debt. Dont reply to them, dont respond to them if they ask you for any info, such as date of birth, address etc.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

One way to see if it is legit.

Demand they provide the bank account number and sortcode for the account they deposited the money into. If it matches yours, go to your bank and get historical statements for that period. Check if it was deposited then go through more statements and see if payments were made to that debt.

Do this depending on what wonga say with their investigation.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Yes, there are things you can do whilst you are waiting for them to investigate - check any bank account you had around that time to establish if funds were deposited.

I must admit, I too am surprised they haven't contacted you if the loan was from 2010 ? Meanwhile you should make sure that StepChange neither admit any liability or make any payments to this account until you are absolutely sure.

If it is, then I think you need to challenge the interest and charges as they have made no contact.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Dear xxxx,

We’ve investigated your claim but couldn’t collect enough evidence to confirm your identity was used without your consent. This is primarily because our verification checks show that the loan was paid into a bank account in your name.

To help us investigate further, we need some additional evidence from you:

• A bank statement showing the money leaving your bank account.

• Confirmation from your bank that the transactions were fraudulent.

To further strengthen your claim, we suggest you report this to the police. Please send us the Police Crime Reference Number and the warrant number of the officer you reported it to.

The account created in your name has been temporarily suspended while we conduct our investigation. We look forward to receiving the information above and advancing this case for you.

Best wishes,

Customer Care

0800 316 6745

Wonga.com

The above is what I have been sent as I only queried it last night about 8pm this seems to have been a very fast investigation ...... Anyway I am not going through the rigmarole of trying to get statements from 2010 and police so would I be right in thinking I should now send them the prove it letter from here?

Any help would be much appreciated and promise to keep the forum updated right through including conclusion - I hate not seeing what happened in the end :(

Dear xxxx,

We’ve investigated your claim but couldn’t collect enough evidence to confirm your identity was used without your consent. This is primarily because our verification checks show that the loan was paid into a bank account in your name.

To help us investigate further, we need some additional evidence from you:

• A bank statement showing the money leaving your bank account.

• Confirmation from your bank that the transactions were fraudulent.

To further strengthen your claim, we suggest you report this to the police. Please send us the Police Crime Reference Number and the warrant number of the officer you reported it to.

The account created in your name has been temporarily suspended while we conduct our investigation. We look forward to receiving the information above and advancing this case for you.

Best wishes,

Customer Care

0800 316 6745

Wonga.com

The above is what I have been sent as I only queried it last night about 8pm this seems to have been a very fast investigation ...... Anyway I am not going through the rigmarole of trying to get statements from 2010 and police so would I be right in thinking I should now send them the prove it letter from here?

Any help would be much appreciated and promise to keep the forum updated right through including conclusion - I hate not seeing what happened in the end :(

Dont bite to that letter. They are trying to get YOu to give them details to validate the debt.

You should be more worried about identity fraud than just wanting it to all go away.......

Just to update WONGA called he was asking a lot of questions about the prove it email I sent so I just said I have made my position clear it is now down to them to respond. They said they have called the bank to confirm it was my account the money was paid into - can they do this? Also he sounded like he was trying to get me to say it was mine which I refused and reiterated that he would have to send all details via email as the only knowledge I have of this is from my credit file. Will have to see what he comes back with now as I am not chasing around looking for things .......

Stop talking to them on the phone. See my response in post #11. Theyre doing the same thing to you again but now over the phone.

Yes I have told them I won't speak to them on phone just need to find the no phone call template and will send them that. I let them do most of talking except saying I have no knowledge of debt and send me details to email. Thank you renegadeimp for you help on both my posts you probably think I'm a right idiot but I assure you I'm not just let everything get too much. Thank you for your help.

You should simply tell them in writing only, then hang up. Dont let them start a convo. Just hang up on them, even if theyre talking.

Then all they need do is provide you with the Bank - sort code and account number. That way you can confirm or NOT if it is your account .. simples :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I have received Wongas final reply refusing me any information at all ???????/ Help

Dear xxxx,

We’ve investigated your case but unfortunately we can’t uphold your complaint because our investigation finds that there is insufficient evidence of fraud due to the bank check confirming a full match. We are awaiting the requested police report and/or bank statement and letter comfirming fraud on your bank account. On receipt we will be able to continue with our investigation. For a speedily outcome, this requested information is paramount.

We cannot provide you with a statement of this loan, because due to the fraudulant nature of your report, we can only provide such evidence to the police. Again if you can provide the police crime reference number to us, we can then liaise with the police to resolve.

This is our final response but if you’re not satisfied with it, you can refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. If want to do this, you can within 6 months of the date of this letter.

For more information on the Financial Ombudsman Service, please see the consumer information leaflet found at:

http://financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/consumer-leaflet.htm

If you want a hard copy of the Financial Ombudsman Service consumer leaflet, please call us on 0207 138 8330.

The address of the Financial Ombudsman Service is:

The Financial Ombudsman Service

South Quay Plaza

183 Marsh Wall

London

E14 9SR

Telephone: 0300 123 9123.

Best wishes,

Miriam Bridgeman

Escalations Team

Wonga.com

Did you actually report this to the police ?

I think you are going to have to take this to the Financial Ombudsman.

Wonga say you have had a loan back in 2010 - they have never made any attempts to collect on it.

This has only recently come to light when stepchange were dealing with your DMP.

Wonga say they paid the money into a bank account that is connected to me - but refuse to give details of this so that I can check. Meanwhile I have checked my bank account for that period of time and NO money was paid into in the sum that Wonga say was borrowed.

BCOBS

I have been on to FOS they are now taking it over just waiting for their pack which I have to sign and return so we shall see.

What I would really like to know though is can a company just put a Default on your account without actually telling you ? FOS read out complaint to me over phone and one was no notice of Default ??

No I have not been to police as earlier advice stated it was down to them to prove that I had or hadn't had the loan.