Cash Convertors sold me stolen phone. Do i have any rights?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3727 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I brought my daughter a Blackberry phone for £79 from Cash Convertors in April using a debit card. Fast forward 31/2 months and i get a dawn raid from the old bill telling me the phone is reported stolen. Luckily i had the receipt so they didn't cart me off but they took the phone.

I rang Cash Convertors who put a droid on the phone telling me that the 60 day warranty was up but if i brought all paperwork in they would investigate the matter? When i asked there policy on refunding for goods that are found to be stolen she said she cannot discuss this with me??

The shop is quite a distance and i don't want to waste any more time if they are just going to flannel me and not refund my cash. They seem to be hiding behind a warranty that's over and to say they will investigate leads me to believe i will get the old letter saying sorry but tough luck.

So i want to pursue this further because it cannot be right that CC can sell stolen goods then wriggle out of any responsibility. When the police turned up i thought someone had died and then i was treated like a crook until i hunted down the receipt.

Any help appreciated

A warranty has nothing to do with a criminal offence like receiving stolen goods. As a business they have committed an offence as they a responsibility and should have checked the phone. I suggest you put it in writing to their head office requesting a full refund plus interest. Send a nice polite letter and then if no response within 14 days, come back on here.

If cash converters did check at the time, it may be that the phone wasn't reported stolen when they took it in.

It is even possible that it was taken in to Cash Converters by the owner, who subsequently reported it stolen.

Either way :

1) Cash converters should have records of who they bought it off, and should supply these to the police if the police haven't already asked for them

2) Warranty has nothing to do with it. Cash Converters should refund the OP and then CC can peruse it with whoever they bought the phone off.

It is illegal to sell something you do not have the right to. It is up to the seller to check.

You should write to them by recorded delivery telling them it is with the police and with a copy of your invoice and ask for a full refund.

How come the police came to you about this phone ?

Edited by Conniff

Unfortunately selling a contract phone and then reporting it stolen is a very common con but the phone companies, ebay and others pretend it doesnt happen and feign shock when they are told otherwise.

Yes, you do have a claim against cash converters and I would give them a short time to refund you and then do a recharge via the card you paid with. The banks are supposed to refund you immediately and then investigate the claim but many will pretend they dont know the procedures so this is one case where the telephone customer services will be better than your local branch for knowledge and speed.

• 5 months later...