Worried About UK Debt Following Me Home

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3875 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am so glad to have found this site, and really hope someone here can help me.

I've been living in the UK for over 10 years, but long story short, my latest visa renewal application was rejected. As I had already overstayed my existing visa, I had to leave the country in a hurry.

Now I am back in Asia with a newborn baby and no job. I am losing sleep over what will become of the debts I left behind in the UK, especially the £10,000+ I owe my bank in the form of credit card debt, personal loan and overdraft facility.

This bank is an international name (hint: it's "the world's local bank"), with branches in the country I am now in. In fact, I might even still have an inactive account with them here.

I am worried to death that the bank will expect me to repay the debts. With resettling in a new place, caring for a baby, and finding a job to worry about, I don't need this extra stress. And if or when I do get a job, with the exchange rate I would not even earn as much as my monthly repayment.

I really don't want debt collectors knocking on my door. Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

if you are never returning i'd not worry ..hint hint

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You may never be chased or if you are it may be many years in the future. You should get on with your life and stop worrying about this. The Bank will continue to write to your UK address for many months and they will soon realise you are not there. I don't think it will be that easy to trace you in Asia, unless you are using any UK Bank cards where you are now living. If you have a fairly common name, I think it might be difficult for them to find your new address.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the reassurance. However, my name isn't common, so can't they find me by going through their local branch here in Asia?

They are not that clever. How do they know where you have gone ? You could be somewhere else in the UK or residing in one of the other 180+ countries in the world. Because of laws such as Data Protection, it is not easy to go beyond UK databases to trace people.

What happens with debts, is that after a period of non payment, is that they are noted as non performing and they are used to mitigate against tax liabilities. The debt will probably be sold on to a UK Debt Collection Agency (DCA), who will try contacting you at your last known UK address, give up and the pass the debt on. DCA's play a game of pass the parcel with debts. At some stage it may be passed to an international DCA, who may find you in Asia and write to you. But this could be years into the future.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

They are not that clever. How do they know where you have gone ? You could be somewhere else in the UK or residing in one of the other 180+ countries in the world. Because of laws such as Data Protection, it is not easy to go beyond UK databases to trace people.

What happens with debts, is that after a period of non payment, is that they are noted as non performing and they are used to mitigate against tax liabilities. The debt will probably be sold on to a UK Debt Collection Agency (DCA), who will try contacting you at your last known UK address, give up and the pass the debt on. DCA's play a game of pass the parcel with debts. At some stage it may be passed to an international DCA, who may find you in Asia and write to you. But this could be years into the future.

Thank you unclebulgaria67. I have read a little about what you said regarding non-payments and DCAs. The international nature of this banking corporation was what worried me the most. Also after all that's happened it would be Sod's Law that I be the one person who gets caught.

I don't want debt collectors hassling my family either, but guess I really have no other option but to lay low and see what happens. Will keep you guys posted.

Nothing will happen. Move on with your life.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D