BankFodder BankFodder

Bee22

Unicom / Elite Calls unsuccessful ombudsman ruling

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2346 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I have just had a second unsuccessful attempt to resolve three issues relating to Elite Calls / Unicom via the Ombudsman. I’m a small business of less than 10 employees and desperate to avoid the huge fees I’m being threatened with.

Issue one with a rolling contract termination fee requested by Unicom of £218.41. The contract started in June 2008. I was not aware it was a rolling contract (initially with Elite Calls) though Unicom did, after I had signed up and paid upfront with another telephone supplier, make me aware. Unable and unwilling to cancel a new supplier, I still moved away from Unicom. My repeated requests for evidence of a contract and T&C's went unheeded.

Issue two with broadband:

I agreed in September 2012, to two broadband services under the misapprehension that I was paying a single fee. The Ombudsman has ruled that this was my mistake as I only raised the issue upon receipt of my first bill, not within a cooling off period.

Also, due to a technical fault, I had over four weeks with no broadband service on one of these lines. Unicom offered to terminate my contracts to settle, I agreed but just in settlement of the double fees issue and took my broadband supply elsewhere. I continued to request compensation for lack of supply. In doing so and pursuing matters as far as the Ombudsman, I forfeited the broadband termination and have now been given a termination fee of £1220.

By trying to find justice, I’ve dug myself into an even deeper hole. Has anyone any actual experience – successful or not – of claiming these fees are unreasonable or unlawful?

The ombudsman seems to think they are acceptable as per Unicom’s T&Cs.

I have 14 days to agree to the Ombudsman's final ruling, if I choose to accept.