alcohol dependance and ESA form filling

kahlo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi there, i am helping someone with an ESA application who has an autoimmune disease ( lupus) and alcohol dependance- who is also homeless.

having recently been successful with my own ESA application i offered to help as CAB isnt an option for him.

so a couple of questions initially :

1. From an ESA perspective , does alcohol dependance come under physical or mental disability?wanted to know which descriptors to focus on , when i work through it with him.
  2. also can anyone help direct me to the current schedule 2 and 3 descriptors ?
  3. is regulation 29 still in place, for new ESA , or has that changed ?

many thanks
    Kahlo

:kahlo:

Limited function due to alcoholism is considered under mental health descriptors.

Current descriptors can be found on pages 10 - 12 and 17 - 27 of;

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@disabled/documents/digitalasset/dg_177366.pdf

Presume you are talking about an ESA50 (not an ESA1 claim form). For now I'd concentrate on the risks of a fit for work decision without quoting the reg. Come October the reg number will change, but I've yet to fathom how Jobcentreplus intend to deal with claimants who are mid assessment. :???:

Margaret.

thank you Margaret,

Presume you are talking about an ESA50 (not an ESA1 claim form). For now I'd concentrate on the risks of a fit for work decision without quoting the reg. Come October the reg number will change, but I've yet to fathom how Jobcentreplus intend to deal with claimants who are mid assessment. confused.gif

It appears he is in receipt of the claim form.

I was thinking of the ESA50 as i thought he had received it already! ( I will help him with that later)

had a quick look online at the ESA1, most if which i cannot help him as he has the personal info , however is there anything that we should pay particular attention to in regards of his homelessness and alcohol dependence when filling in the claim form?

for example part 21, how much information should we give here?

Kahlo Is yours friends S.L.E (lupus) active, if so what medications is he on and how do they effect his daily activities of living, how they effect him could be an important aspect when helping him fill in the form.

if you visit http://www.lupusuk.org.uk/what-is-lupus‎ they do provide links to the more common problems that your friend may be facing now or in the near future. It can be made to go into remission but it takes active treatment. The alcohol dependence is of course a problem but his lupus which can effect all the major organs is the one that without treatment can have very severe consequences very quickly.

Edited by mr_mastiff
  • Confused 1

Kahlo Is yours friends S.L.E (lupus) active, if so what medications is he on and how do they effect his daily activities of living,
hi Mr mastiff , I'm only really getting to know this guy i believe he been diagnosed with Discoid lupus, but he has lots of pain/swelling in his hands and is complaining of back and kidney pain and is wondering if it has develop into systemic lupus. He has been off the radar for a number of years.

I will find out when he saw the consultant last and encourage him to request a referral from his GP. Thank you, I am only just learning about Lupus.. that link is very useful

Kahlo, My pleasure to help, He needs to go to his G.P asap for a full range of blood tests including Full Blood Count (fbc) Kidney function Test and C-reactive protein. But going back to his assessment his hands /joints being swollen will greatly effect his ability to carry out day to day tasks. this point should be clearly stated. Due to him being off the radar it is going to be very difficult to provide any medical history. I can only give advice on how I gave information on my appeal. Listing his ailments will not achieve a great deal. Make things simple, for example if at times he cannot do up buttons or open a jar due to his swollen hands then put that down, if he as problems gripping his knife and fork put that down. If he cannot put his socks due to hands then put that down. you have to Break each part of his life down and tell them how it effects him. I am an R.G.N with a chronic condition when i filled out the original form I relied on lots of medical terminology and I believe that the person reading form was not aware of the limitation my condition placed on me. So keep it simple if he needs hand rails to get up stairs then say that. If his pain medication causes him to become absent/fall sleep then tell them. If I can help then please contact me again (you can P.M me if that would help). One last thing Lupus is named after the wolf (Lupus Lupus) because of the claw like marks it left on the skin before a treatment was developed.

:kahlo:

Your friend doesn't need to complete part 21 of the ESA1 just cos he's alcohol dependent and homeless. He may choose to give extra info about his situation to ensure Jobcentreplus have up to date details of a secure 'care of' address. And possibly the phone number of someone they can leave a message with.

Margaret.

Edited by **Margaret**