Xperia Z - broken after 4 months

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3873 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

]Hi guys. I'm hoping someone can offer me some advice.

In April, I bought the brand new Xperia Z. Sony's flagship model of mobile phone. Waterproof, dust proof etc. After just 4 months, the phone developed what I can only describe as a hairline crack across the digitiser (not the actual glass itself), thus rending the phone absolutely useless.

After not much searching on Google, I've found a multitude of other users reporting very similar issues with their Xperia Z - all of whom are being quoted upwards of £150 for repairs. There is currently a 16 page thread on the Xperia forums, which Sony have yet to respond in. I'm currently engaged in two battles to try and get this phone replaced; one with the retailer and the other with Sony themselves.

So far I have sent the phone back to Sony's authorized workshop and the retailers. Both are informing me that it is user damage and that is not covered by warranty nor SOGA (on the retailers part). I can well understand that they must have people trying it on all the time attempting to get phones replaced but there are absolutely no other indications that this phone has been damaged. There won't be, because it simply hasn't been misused and I'm convinced it's a manufacturing defect. If I could find no further supporting evidence of this, I would be in the mindset of accepting the outcome - but given the numbers of people I've read complaining about similar issues, I'm simply not prepared to accept a repair cost of £150.

To muddy the waters further, Sony have agreed to replace the phones, free of charge, of at least 2 people with the same issues and when I queried why Sony had agreed to do that in my most recent email to them, they simply stated they weren't prepared to discuss individual cases.

I have a copy of a letter Sony have sent to one customer agreeing to replace their phone, free of charge. I attempted to upload but it just presents a small thumbnail but if anyone need's it, please let me know.

To be quite honest, I feel awful trying to the force the issue with the retailer as it simply isn't their fault but I feel I would have more success than attempting to take on Sony.

Any help much appreciated.

Then your dealings should only be with buymobiles.net as they are who you purchased the goods from (SOGA). Any fault under 6 months then the onus is on the retailer to prove the goods did not have this fault at the point of purchase. If they cannot provide proof (which to be fair, they wouldn't be able to) then they are responsible for repair or replace.

You don't need to have any dealings with Sony.

Although, there is a larger issue regarding the argument that this crack is due to a fault with the phone rather than being damaged by yourself (i'll be honest - i don't know how you're going to conclusively prove this one way or the other) you need to be having this debate with buymobiles.net and not Sony.

In that case, I'll not reply to Sony's most recent email and concentrate my efforts to come to a resolution with buymobiles. In their last email to me, they stated that if I wasn't happy with their decision not to replace the phone, that I should seek a second opinion from Sony themselves.

I've responded by saying that the onus is on them to prove that the goods were of satisfactory condition and didn't have a manufacturing defect when purchased so it isn't my responsibility to seek second opinions. Is this right whilst it's still under 6 months?