Hire Van Damage. Hirer keeps taking money from my account

TheV5
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3908 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I hired a van from a local company a few weeks ago. We both inspected the vehicle, but just a 30second walk around. The guy didn’t evenhave a pen and marked out the form (with the cc) with a key! When the van was returned (out of hours), Ipopped the keys through the letterbox as per their instructions. The next day I went away to visit mygirlfriends grandparents who live in very rural Romania. There is no phone reception or internetconnection. The nearest town is a good30 – 45 minute drive away. Anyhow, mostpeople know I am away and just leave messages on my phone knowing I will pickthem up upon my return.

I have just returned home to find a number of messages fromthe hire company telling me there was damage to the drivers side sill and it will cost £500to repair. I have no knowledge ofdamaging the van or hitting anything to cause this damage. And to be honest, neither I nor the chap whoI walked around the van with really checked the sills. There were the usual dents, scratches andscuff marks which is typical for most of the vans from this company (I haveused them many times before).

I have no written correspondence from the hire company, justtelephone messages. They state they havealerted the police to the circumstances as I have not retuned any messages forthe past 3 weeks (reasons stated above).

Now, do I have a leg to stand on with regards to disputingthe damage? When I paid for the van, Ipaid cash and they didn’t take any card details. However, they have been through their recordsand have taken two lots of £50 from my account over the last 2 weeks using card details I have used with thempreviously. Do they have the right to dothis? And if so, do they have the rightto keep taking money after they have taken one payment. It turns out they took £100 from a client ofmine last week who I hired a van for some time ago where he paid directly viahis card, but they have refunded this to him.

Any suggestions for my next move?

Many thanks

Get that monet refunded to your account by your bank as it was aanunauthorised transaction.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D