BankFodder BankFodder

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2432 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help with a few questions!

A few days ago I had a letter posted through the door from Ross and Roberts bailiffs.

I phoned the bailiff and he told me it was for unpaid council tax from my previous address

(I must have missed payments without realising),

some of which dated from after I had already left the house and moved to my new address.

I told the bailiff that I would not pay without speaking to the council first,

so the next day I called the council and they told me I can appeal in writing.

They said they didn't have a record of my new address until about 6 months after I had actually moved

they had kept billing me and sent all the bills and a litigation order to my old address and I had never received them,

the first I knew of the debt was the bailiff’s letter.

They told me I could appeal by explaining the situation in writing and sending copies of my old and new housing contracts

to show the date I moved, and then they would consider reducing the bill and recalling the bailiffs.

I was planning to write to the bailiffs to say I am dealing directly with the council in the hope they stop chasing me,

as well as sending the appeal letter to the council.

Is there any specific information or wording I need to include in either letter for them to be effective?

And If I do this, and pay the council directly for the part of the bill I actually owe after appealing,

will I still have to pay the bailiff fees,

or will they leave me alone then??

Dont let the bailiffs in to your house, or levy on any vehicles. That limits the bailiffs to 2x visit fee's maximum.

Instead of writing and posting the info to the council, get it together in a package and personally take it in to their council tax department. They can deal with it there and then.

Pay the council something immeditaley by their online payment portals, and then pay what you can, when you can. Make sure to use the reference number for the year they are collecting.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

they cant charge fees for posting letters.

were you in or out? when the letter was posted

did he knock

what does the letter say.

stay off the phone to the Bailiff.

you owe them nowt.

as found out, pay the council direct, and appeal

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, the whole DCA industry would collapse overnight.

I've had two letters in the past few days,

the first time I was out and the second time I was in but didn't hear any knock.

The second letter said I owe £750

but from speaking to the council

the council tax debt is only about £500 (which I am appealing as I moved out and they continued to bill me)

that is already £250 bailiff's fees

- which seems crazy since the first I even knew of the debt was the first letter!!

Letter says: "ENFORCEMENT NOTICE - Your files are now with our removal bailiffs.

The sum of £............. is now required.

Unless contact is made with the bailiff TODAY your goods will be at risk of being removed

and the balance will become due in full..."etc.

Am I okay just to ignore them and continue dealing with the council directly??

A lot of bailiffs inflate the amounts you owe by levying unlawful charges. The simple fact for council debts is, if you have never let them in to your home, and they havent levied any of your goods, they are limited by law to 2 visit fee's. Thats it. A lot of bailiffs ( all of them) know this, so try and charge more to see if they can get away with it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I've had two letters in the past few days,

the first time I was out and the second time I was in but didn't hear any knock.

The second letter said I owe £750

but from speaking to the council

the council tax debt is only about £500 (which I am appealing as I moved out and they continued to bill me)

that is already £250 bailiff's fees

- which seems crazy since the first I even knew of the debt was the first letter!!

Letter says: "ENFORCEMENT NOTICE - Your files are now with our removal bailiffs.

The sum of £............. is now required.

Unless contact is made with the bailiff TODAY your goods will be at risk of being removed

and the balance will become due in full..."etc.

Am I okay just to ignore them and continue dealing with the council directly??

at very most £42.50

but the sneaky buggers just post the letters through the door.

they should knock

not sure if that invalidates any charges

as there no fee for letter delivery on CTAX debts.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, the whole DCA industry would collapse overnight.

When you moved did you advise your previous Council? Did you move directly from home A to home B or was there somewhere else between times? If the first scenario - A to B - did you pay CT from the date you moved in 7 more importantly can you prove it?

You can only be billed for CT for your main home so cannot be charged for 2 properties at the same time - there are exceptions to this but this does not concern you at this time. If the "old" Council accept your dates then they should be the ones who pull the Bailiff - meaning no charges - but in reality I suspect they will kick & scream a bit first.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There was about a month in between. Both were with Birmingham City Council, so I didn't think to tell them I had moved. I did pay council tax since we moved in, although for some reason all the bills come in my boyfriend's name only, although all the payments are online in my name and both of us signed the housing contract.

Does any one know that if a bailiff tries it on with unlawful charges, is there not a possible charge laid at there door of attempting to obtain money by false pretence's..