Caught using younger sisters Oyster Card today at approximately 17:00. I need advise on what to do next........

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3880 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just been caught using my little sisters Oyster card today at 17:00.

Her Oyster card was taken by the inspector and is currently being used as evidence.

I've been told I will be contacted in 10 working for my side of the story on why I was using my sisters Oyster card.

The inspector said that if I write back to them and give a clear reason of why I used the oyster

I.e "picked it up by accident" before leaving home it may be a sufficient enough excuse and a settlement may be issued.

Please give me advise on what i should do.

Should I do anything at all ?

I'm seriously considering to say exactly what happened. Then again will my sister receive her Oyster card back in time for the end of the Summer holiday. I'm more concerned about her receiving her oyster on time...

If you have no 'mitigating' circs (and from your tone, you seem resigned to the fact that it was perhaps less accidental than you presented?), then your best bet is taking it on the chin and (sorry, this is a horrible word) grovelling a bit...

Dear Grotesque,

Thanks. I feel so silly for doing it now! Just seems like its going to be a really long process. Thanks for the advise..

Do you think I will end with a criminal record because of this incident ?

That depends really on TfL prosecutors.

They are within their rights to take offences such as this very seriously, and generally DO.

However

- there is absolutely nothing you can do

- or profitably worry about!

- until they contact you; NOT vice versa.

As to what they will do,

that rather depends on what you tell them and have told them;

and whether they subsequently prosecute

(re: you getting a criminal record) depends upon what charge is proffered.

Keep calm,

Mr. Mannering.

is this the ONLY time you have done this?

if so

then await the letter

plead and grovel

offer to pay all reasonable admin costs and Eq fines.

you should be ok

and avoid a record

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I've just been caught using my little sisters Oyster card today at 17:00.

Her Oyster card was taken by the inspector and is currently being used as evidence.

I've been told I will be contacted in 10 working for my side of the story on why I was using my sisters Oyster card.

The inspector said that if I write back to them and give a clear reason of why I used the oyster

I.e "picked it up by accident" before leaving home it may be a sufficient enough excuse and a settlement may be issued.

Please give me advise on what i should do.

Should I do anything at all ?

I agree with other respondents : wait for the letter.

To help plan for your reply to the letter :

a) are you yet 18 years old?

b) did you obtain a discount you otherwise aren't entitled to by using your sister's card?

c) did they ask you how you had come to be using your sister's card, and if so: what reply did you give?

urm

they will be able to see that you've used it

then ask who at that time it was.

this might not be that simple.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

A part of me thinks I'm going to have to face the music on this one. I've just decided to say to say the truth. I hope I don't get a criminal record but if I was to honest with you their in their rights to issue one. Along with a hefty fine. It's a mess tbh. I've leant my lesson after this tabacle. I'll update everyone on what I write back to them and how things go from then onwards.

Hello there.

I think telling the truth is right, good for you. That way you can't be caught out. On the other hand, it's not normally recommended here to admit to anything they don't already know.

The best thing is to await the letter and then come back and tell us what they've said and what the alleged offence is. You can post up your proposed letter and we can comment on it for you, that's what we often do. :)

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

In response to BazzaS,

A) yes I am 20

B) yes

C) I replied I picked it up by accident on my way out of the house

Likely you'll get summonsed, likely guilty (by plea or by judgement if you plead not guilty).

If you continue with "picked up by accident" in an attemp to claim you never intended to avoid your fare, you'll be put in the witness box : you need to consider that the prosecutor will have heard "used by accident" many times, and they'll try to catch you in a lie : they have experience of this : do you really want to take that chance? (A guilty plea will earn you a lower fine, although if you really are innocent you shouldn't plead guilty for convenience)

Your posts (including admission this isn't the first time) suggest you knew what you were doing, though.

You won't face prison for first offence (well, first detected offence anyhow), but expect a criminal record.