Severn Bridge "Invoice" for paying wrong toll charge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3900 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Today I received an invoice from the company that operates the Severn Bridge. My vehicle, which I was not driving at the time, used the wrong lane paying £6.20 instead of £12.40. The "invoice" is for £119.20, less £80 "debt recovery fee" if paid within 7 days. The "invoice" is made up of:

Outstanding toll £6.20

DVLA Search fee £3.00

Admin Fee £30.00

Debt Recovery Fee £80.00

The company backs this up with reference to Section 14 of the Severn Bridges Act 1992.

Again, I was not the driver, but I know who was. Any advice/help gratefully received.

Section 14:

14 Payment regulations and offences.

(1)The Secretary of State may by regulations—

(a)designate places within the toll plaza areas at which tolls (other than tolls with respect to which a pre-payment has been made) are to be paid,

(b)make provision as to the persons by whom, and the manner in which, such tolls are to be paid,

©make provision for securing that vehicles in respect of which tolls are leviable do not use either of the bridges without payment of the tolls, and

(d)make provision for preventing a vehicle which, having used one of the bridges, has arrived at the place at which a toll is payable in respect of it from proceeding beyond that place without the toll having been paid.

(2)Regulations made under this section shall provide for a notice, specifying—

(a)the categories of vehicles in respect of which tolls are leviable,

(b)the amount of the tolls in respect of each category, and

©other provisions in accordance with which tolls are leviable,to be displayed at each place designated in accordance with subsection (1)(a) above.

(3)Regulations under this section may include provisions modifying the general provisions of the regulations in the case of vehicles in relation to which a pre-payment of tolls has been made.

(4)A person who without reasonable excuse—

(a)refuses or fails to pay a toll for which he is liable, or

(b)attempts to evade payment of such a toll,shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

(5)A person who contravenes or fails to comply with a provision of regulations under this section shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

Tell them who the driver was. Or you will be liable for any costs.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I suspect the Severn Bridge Tolls are much more well founded in law than the PPC car park joke invoices. At a cost of £39 currently (which appears to be made up of not unreasonable itemised costs) I think I would pay it at the "within 7 days" price and look to get it back from the driver.

I have written telling them who the driver was.

Interesting - I'm not sure that you had / have any legal obligation to tell them who the driver was. It's also not clear (to me) that they have any legal basis on which to pursue the Registered Keeper or vehicle owner for any unpaid charges. The T&Cs that were quoted above appear to relate only to the driver of the vehicle for which the charge was not paid. IMHO this is NOT PPC or PoFA2012 territory, or Road Traffic Act / police enforcement terrirory therefore would appreciate some comments from lawyers on the legal aspects of this situation.