Garage ruined my engine after oil change.

danjones
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey Guys,

Major advice needed, I have had my fingers really burnt at a National garage after an oil and filter service. We took the car in after having no problems at this garage previously, car had the oil and filter changed and was given back to me. I hadn't even driven off the forecourt and the oil pressure warning came on. Took it straight back and was told not to worry as it was full of oil, again back out and light was still on. Took it back and was then told don't worry they'll speak to Audi in the morning as it must be a sensor that needs resetting.

Took the car off the forecourt again and got 1/2 mile down the road and the engine died and would not restart. Had the RAC come out to recover the car home. Called the garage in the morning and they came out and changed the filter, The mechanic admitted that the oil filter was "loose in the housing" and the new one was fitted in the car. The oil pressure light immediately extinguished but now i'm left with an engine that's knocking itself into tomorrow and a whining turbo.

I called the garage and they denied everything stating the fault must have been there when the car arrived and if we wanted anything done we would need an independent garage to look at it and state that it was the fault of National. I then called into head office and they sent the senior mechanic up to look at the car. Computer was plugged in showing that everything was operating as it should but we found on the invoice that the wrong oil filter had been booked out. The senior mechanic called the guy who fitted the filter and he admitted the car was not knocking when it came in and there was no lights on the dashboard. He thought that the filter that was originally fitted did not engage the pressure valve at the bottom of the engine and stopped oil circulating around. That filter has now obviously vanished.

They've now asked for an independent report but have authorized work of up to £500?? My garage said he can only really comment on the cars condition now but believes it needs a new top end rebuild and a turbo. They have been good with us but also very grey when its coming to the nitty gritty of sending to the dealers under insurance. What the hell do I do????

Thanks

Dan

Edited by danjones

Oops.

Do you have still have that invoice? Guard it with you life.

What mileage is on your car Dan?

Can you name the garage or if you don't want to on here, can you pm their name to me pse.

Hi Conniff,

I still have the invoice and I have copied it numerous times, when calling head office they have stated that "he probably just booked out the wrong one". I just can't understand how they can say that, when that filter was changed the day after the oil pressure issues vanished. I also have a report from the RAC stating that the oil pressure light was on when they recovered the car and a photograph of the dashboard showing it as being on. Madly enough I also have a photo of the dashboard on the morning before as I was uploading my MPG on the car to my excel spreadsheet!!

The car is on 107000 but its a 4 year old ex lease car with full Audi history. Never had a blip of a problem with it.

The garage was National Tyres and Autocare.

Dan

Edited by danjones

Sounds like a diesel so only just run in.

It won't just be the top of the engine that has suffered, You will have lost a few miles off the bottom end bearings as well.

You must write to them (preferably by recorded) and tell them you hold them liable for all the damage caused and ask what their intentions are to rectify. You should also say you expect them to act in a professional manner.

Your next course of action will depend on how they reply.

It will be inconvenient and slow to do this and you won't be able to use your car again until it's fixed, so ask for a courtesy car.

Well National has admitted liability on this and is trying to sort the car through insurance.

As mentioned in my original post the oil filter was not fitted correctly and all pressure to the top end was lost. Turbo is oil lubricated and so is the top end so that's why it's knocking as it was oil starved.