Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Done! Thanks again. Will update the thread accordingly.
    • Thank you for your message.  I'm concerned that by complaining to the IPC, and escalating the situation, PCM would be even more inclined to cause problems for me and take action to the fullest extent just to make an example of me.  I can still take the above action as a backup plan if PCM decides to go ahead.
    • Mr BankFodder you are a top man.   I just received email below and finally they accepted fully refund   Good Afternoon,   Thank you for your recent email.   We are sorry to hear of your recent troubles, we would be happy to accept rejection of the vehicle.   The amount of the refund to yourself will be £7,099, this alongside settlement of the finance agreement will be paid in full and final settlement.    By accepting this refund you are confirming that no further claims shall be brought against Big Motoring World or any of its associates in respect of this matter.   In order to proceed with the refund we require the following from yourself:   - Your bank details (Account holders name – this must match the invoice name, sort code and account number)   The bank details can be provided via email.   The refund will be processed within 14 days.  
    • How do I transfer my number plate V750? Transfer by post Check the expiry date on your V750 or V778 to make sure it is still valid. Ensure that the registered keeper for the receiving vehicle matches the Grantee or Nominee name on the certificate. Complete relevant sections of your V750 or V778 document and sign it where instructed. https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/renew-private-number-certificate  
    • i know...the anpr camera mustve triggered the computer to send out a parking charge as it probably detected no parking ticket paid. disgusting way of trying to extort money
  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.


      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like

RBS say Non Advised Basis

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3343 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

In 2007 I cancelled all PPI from any credit I held as it was only then that I realised they were in fact optional

and more importantly, due to my generous employment package in a job I still hold today 20 years later,

they would not have paid out anyway.


I have tried to claim back the PPI attached to my RBS credit card taken I had 2002 to 2005.


Yesterday I received the rejection letter stating largely that it was sold on a Non Advised Basis.


I took it out via a postal application sent to me.


The PPI box had to be ticked - the wording by the box said

strongly recommended that payment protection insurance (PPI) is taken out.


I have been reading FOS online PPI resource

"our approach to payment protection insurance (PPI) mis-sale complaints" and it states, when talking about internet or postal applications:-


Although these are usually non-advised sales, as the application stated “we strongly recommend you take out this PPI”. We were satisfied from the consumer’s account of the sale that he had placed some weight on this – and so we concluded that the sale was advised.


Knowing how little I knew about the "why's and wherefores" back then and as it was during the application stage this would have made me think that my application was dependant on this.

Any ideas what I do next? Thanks in anticipation.

Link to post
Share on other sites



What do you mean by this bit please


The PPI box had to be ticked


If it were me I would be challenging the bank and quoting what fos have said on the particular case they mention.


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely. I struggle to see how RBS can say the PPI was sold on a non-advised basis if the box "strongly recommended" it to you.


As you have actually found a case on the FOS website covering exactly your situation, that should put you in a strong position. Perhaps it is worth writing back to RBS and confronting them with that - perhaps a print-out or copy-paste from the FOS website.




Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG exactly same as me too!!!! I put a claim in and have had a rejection exactly the same. Just pondering over my response etc as will not let it go and will go to the FOS if I have too but will give them another chance first, Could you post up the link to case on the FOS as I couldn't find it. Bet we had the same person assessing our claims!

Link to post
Share on other sites



I have written a long letter, quoting the information that I have found and also reiterating my reason why I should have never taken out PPI. I've addressed it to the CEO and have told them that I expect a reply within 14 days. I have said should they further reject the claim I am already getting things in order not to delay my appeal via FOS.


My letter goes like this:-


I am not happy about the rejection of my genuine complaint and I feel the complaints section are not taking it seriously, and I would like this matter to be looked into further before making the FOS route official. Please let me know the outcome within 14 days of the date of this letter, otherwise I will be taking further action to get the matter resolved.


I have already made steps towards further action and I have been advised that as the application form states “strongly recommended that payment protection insurance (PPI) is taken out” FOS will take the view that it is “advised”. The actual wording FOS has used is:-

“Although these are usually non-advised sales, as the application stated “we strongly recommend you take out this PPI”. We were satisfied from the consumer’s account of the sale that he had placed some weight on this – and so we concluded that the sale was advised”.

You’re the one selling it; therefore you’re the experts, not me.

As stated on the telephone with your department earlier this week, I always believed, up until 2007 when I cancelled all PPI’s, that I held at that time, that they were not really an option and were in place to protect you the lender and not there for me. I would have believed that my application for credit would have been denied, so ticked the box, upon your recommendation and therefore to help my application. Nothing on the application states”optional” either. I would not have understood that this was very expensive; the cost associated with the Card Protection Plan is not indicated on the application. Even more importantly I would not have understood that as I had suitable cover I would have never been able to claim on it anyway; as I have stated in previous correspondence, my employer, who I remain with till this day provides a very generous benefits package. I have also given you permission to contact my employer for verification.


I will be posting the letter on Monday, should you think I should add anything further please let me know. Thanks for your response so far.

Edited by Charlies Angel
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...




It's been a while but after RBS refused to back down when FOS upheld my claim back last year, FOS said it would be passed onto someone higher up in FOS (normal practice apparently).



I have been waiting and waiting, not really expecting a favourable outcome, then today had a letter off FOS saying that RBS will be in touch with an offer! So excited - please anyone who thinks its not worth the hassle it really is. Will let you know how much as soon as I know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
Just had a cheque (much lower than expected) they have refunded the premiums plus 8% and have not factored in the Credit Card APR at the time. Is tis right?



Thanks in advance!


This is their normal tac-tic as I had a similar experience with the same bank. FOS up-held my complaint after their rejection and it took nearly 16 months for it to be settled. When offer recieved there was no breakdown of how they arrived at the figure or what interest was included.


I have now had to submit a further complaint for due to lack of explanation and further redress, it's been a nightmare to say the least.


I would go back to RBS and request a full breakdown of individual premiums and interest applied. Don't give up !

Link to post
Share on other sites

The FOS will say somethign along the lines of "Redress should put you back in the position you would of been in if you had not taken out the policy"


Check their guidence. ANY interest CHARGED on those premiums needs to be returned too!




A credit card?


Any over limit or late payment charges?

Maybe a separate complaint (and thread) for those if applicable :) You can claim those back plue interest in restitution if you want to try and sue them in the small claims court



The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...