Sovereign Credit Management

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6582 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is a debt collection agency used by Thomson Directories. Having fallen ill last year and unable to work for a couple of months I could not pay Thomson's who then employed Sovereign. The amount owing is £777.27.

Sovereign, via a Mr. Hardy, phoned me incessantly day after day after day. The guy was a real motormouth, continuously repeating himself telling me how I needed to resolve the matter NOW to avoid court action etc. I consistently repeated to him that (a) I did not deal with third parties and would deal only directly with Thomson, and (b) under no circumstances would I discuss the matter by phone. Nothing I said shut thisd guy up, and my only way to get rid of him was often to hang up on him, after warning him that I was about to do so. He responded by phoning me back immediately - again and again and again, about seven times on average. I countered this by simply rejecting the call (he was costing me a small fortune, as my calls were diverted to my mobile). Even after leaving an answerphone message he would stiull try to call again and again.

This led to over 100 phone calls in just a few weeks and several letters. One such letter steted that they would be charging me (plus VAT) £10 per letter, £25 per default letter, £2.50 per phone call, and £75 for an agent calling at my house (this never happened.

I eventually wrote back stating that I would be charging £20 per letter (reply), £5 per phone call (answered or not) and so on. Because of his manner and the incessant harrassment I asked for £2000 compensation.

This stopped the calls and letters, although the debt still remains and some months on it has now been passed on to another agency, JB Debt Recovery of Glasgow.

Their technique has been to phone roughly twice a day although when I answer the phone goes dead. I tried phoning them back anonymously and they introduced themselves as "JBDC Banking Services", although when I asked them what type of services they offered the operator refused to say and kept on asking me for my name and reference number. I declined.

My point is this: I have found over the years that when one debt collection agency fails, the technique of the companies owed money is to just switch from one debt collection agency to another. This usualy happens when I write to them and state that (for whatever reason) I will be fighting any potential court action with a substantial counterclaim. Presumably at this stage the agency then decided to wash their hands of the matter. Are companies allowed to continualy harrass you in this way by simply switching agencies when one fails or concedes?

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

I believe I read in a seperate thread that debts can only be sold on twice.

I'm sure this doesn't stop some from trying, so if you have evidence of them exceeding this figure, then we should get some clarification of the law.

Although I have never experienced those levels of harassment, one of my debts has been moved on twice. I suspect it is because they have never quite found a way making me increase my monthly payments beyond £1.30 a month, which would take 36 more years to repay!

Since it probably costs them 10 times that figure per month just to deal with me, I guess they are not very happy bunnies!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Harrassment as such as you describe isn't allowed anyway by anyone anyway as per Section 40 of The Administration of Justice Act 1970, for Harassment.

You should contact your Local Trading Standards for advice on this one.

Ex CAG helper ^_^

I believe I read in a seperate thread that debts can only be sold on twice.

I'm sure this doesn't stop some from trying, so if you have evidence of them exceeding this figure, then we should get some clarification of the law.

Although I have never experienced those levels of harassment, one of my debts has been moved on twice. I suspect it is because they have never quite found a way making me increase my monthly payments beyond £1.30 a month, which would take 36 more years to repay!

Since it probably costs them 10 times that figure per month just to deal with me, I guess they are not very happy bunnies!

I don't think there's any legal restriction on the number of times a debt can be sold. However, as it gets older, its value decreases so it's unlikely to get sold too often.

I am pretty certain that you will continue to get harassed for this debt as once you get into this cycle, it's almost impossible to get out of. As soon as one company gives up another will probably start again.. Sometimes debts get passed around the same organisation but using different company names. As Cheddar suggested Trading Standards and references to the Admin of Justice Act may be your best bet.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/08/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6582 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks