Advice please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am 26weeks pregnant and I work in a pub within a station. One of the jobs I used to do was the busy kitchen shift on a sunday morning. I had a risk assessment on wednesday and me and the assessor decided that me being in a tiny unaired, hot sweltering room bending over a grill and fryer is probably not best in my situation (made worse by a leaky fridge). this went on my file and the manager was informed. Yesterday the member of staff that was meant to be covering the kitchen did not show up and that left me and a new member of staff not trained in the kitchen so I (as supervisor) decided not to open the kitchen as there no one to do food despite my effort via phone calls. It was my day off today and I get a phone call from the manager asking why I didn't do food yesterday. I stated that because of member of staff not showing etc there was no one able to do food.

Apparently I told the member of staff not to come in yesterday (not true why would i do that knowing that sunday is busiest for food and without her there would be no one able to do food safely) and that the manager now wants a chart because I should have done the food as the business has now lost out on money. Hes making out that before I refuse to do anything that goes against the risk assessment that he would have had to speak to em about it.

I have to talk to him on wednesday when I am next in I'm just worried about whether its me being in the wrong or if in fact I did the right thing?

just been told by a union rep friend from work that if i quit now i will still be entitled to smp. is this true? i don't want to quit i actually love my job i'm just not enjoying the un necessary stress i've had to put up with the past few weeks

i am 26weeks pregnant btw

Edited by bumpersuze

Hi bumpersuze,

I shouldn't worry, I spent years working part-time in pubs - this looks like a storm in a teacup really.

From what you say your manager knew about the results of the risk assessment and that you shouldn't be in the kitchen, hence the other employee being allocated those duties.

When that employee didn't show up on the Sunday, the kitchen couldn't operate. That responsibility lies with that employee. Indeed, why would you instruct the employee not to turn up for a busy shift? Your manager should see through such a poor excuse for not turning up.

So the food takings were down - if you had worked in the kitchen that day instead, then maybe the bar takings would be down instead. Either way - that fault lies with the employee who didn't turn up for work.

So have your chat on Wednesday and see how things go - the no-show employee is the one who caused the problem.

As for your union rep. - I'm surprised at the advice - quitting your job is a disproportionate response to a quite minor problem. You may miss out on maternity leave/pay due to you from your present employer?

Let us know how you get on.

thanks for the advice :) I'm not a member of the union at work but the rep is just a mate of mine and he said that IF i were to quit i would still be entitled to smp from 11 weeks before due date (which is when I wanted to take my mat leave anyway) as I have worked my "qualifying week" (last week)

Hi bumpersuze,

your manager probably just wants to establish what went on.

I'm sure he'd tell you that his job comes with it's own pressures as well. :violin:

Remember it was the no-show that caused the issue; your manager probably just wants to agree a course of action with you if a similar situation occurs again.

All the best.

good advice from sweetlorraine there.

"Qutting" is not the same as "starting maternity leave early" - be very careful what language you use!

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!