Employee Notice Period?

dave
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4541 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is it true that if a person is paid monthly then the maximum amount of notice to leave that employ is one calendar month?

For e.g. I was bound by my contract at a place of work to give 8 weeks notice - was I legally bound to do so?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

I am pretty certain that notice period is equal on both sides of the equation...I think the logic is that you have to give them as long to find a new employee as they have to give you to find a new job...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Both the employer and employee are normally entitled to a minimum period of notice of termination of employment. After one month's employment, an employee must give at least one week's notice; this minimum is unaffected by longer service. An employer must give an employee:

• at least one week's notice after one month's employment
  • two weeks after two years
  • three weeks after three years and so on up to 12 weeks after 12 years or more.

However, the employer or the employee will be entitled to a longer period of notice than the statutory minimum if this is provided for in the contract of employment.

Most employees, subject to certain conditions, are entitled to certain payments during the statutory notice period. Employees can waive their right to notice or to payment in lieu of notice. Employers can also waive their own right to notice.

Hi.

Technically, minimum notice period is not a standard. In your contract, it specifies your notice period. For example, I am on a fixed term contract, paid monthly, yet I only need to give one weeks notice. My manager on the other had has to give 3 months notice.

Do not assume just because your paid monthly you have to give four weeks notice. Read your terms of employment contract.

Abbas.

Sorry, I posted in haste, you didnt write the about in absence of an employment contract.... Well those words anyway.... Its too much stuff to do and not enough time; I skim read far too much!

Abbas.

• 2 weeks later...

it doesn;t matter what the contract states that you signed statatuary notice period is 2 weeks weather you;ve been there 1 year are twenty years

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

it doesn;t matter what the contract states that you signed statatuary notice period is 2 weeks weather you;ve been there 1 year are twenty years

Incorrect - see above post, and have a look at the ACAS website.

if you ve been working somewhere for 10 years whats the minimum redundancy you should receive if the law has catered for this consideration

does the law say you should get any at all?

1290 back from the Halifax have it you scumbags

• 3 weeks later...

Bugger !! i just made a post http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7865 and read this post afterwards ~!!

Lloyds TSB

Data Protection Act Sent 11/05/06

DPA Received 27/05/06

Charges and Interest calculations = £2932.47 (including costs)

Prelim Letter sent 30/05/06

First Refusal letter received 02/06/06

LBA Letter sent 05/06/06

Acknowledgment Received 07/06/06

Final Response Received 08/06/06

Claim Filed (6QZ42741) - 30/06/06

------------------------------------------------------------

Close Brothers (Warrior Group)

DPA Sent 30-05-06

DPA received 14/06/06

------------------------------------------------------------

Capital One - DPA requested 05/06/06

• 1 year later...

I suppose it may depend on the nature of the work. If someone is a key employee, or working in some sort of sensitive employment, where it takes time and possibly considerable vetting before a worker can be replaced, then

they may be reasons for longer than normal notice periods.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know about the employer emposing different notice periods for themselves and for employee.

Eg . I am in probation period and company notice period is 1 week, I had assumed mine was also 1 week during this period but they are now saying it is 3 months for me.. upon re-reading my contract it may suggest that but is that totally legal ??.. contract says

"

The notice required to be given by either party to the other in writing is not less than 3 months' notice. Notice periods for employees over the Company’s retirement age are 1 week by either party. If the Company terminates your employment during the probationary period you will be entitled to 1 week's notice in writing."

Anyone know if ther are implications of leaving early anyhow as well ??

• 1 month later...

Notice periods can be different, throughout a company, it can even change as you progress up generally getting longer, there can even be a difference between your notice and the employers notice to you.

Notice periods are varied and you have to take many things into account, for instance, if you have a notice period on both sides of 3 months, yes its a pain if you want to leave, but you also have the security of knowing that they would have to pay you 3 months salary if they want you to go (excluding dismissal obviously).

If you have no intentions to return to the company, and you do not need or require thier reference (because they can say you broke your contract), then there is nothing preventing you from not returning to work.

I worked for 25 years in general management and moved about quite a bit (mostly headhunted) I found the best way to be released from a contract with pay was to let your employer assume you were going to a rival, therefore, notice period generally served on holiday.

Sharkie

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone,

Need your help please. I'm hoping to give my current employer a month's notice (as soon as I receive an offer from my new employer). The dilemma I have is as follows:

1) My contract is an entry level accountancy training contract, and in that contract it says that the notice period I have to give is one month, but 3 months for "exam qualified" seniors. It doesn't explicitly give a definition of "exam qualified", but throughout/in the other sections of the contract it refers to, and lists such "exam qualified"s qualifications - BUT the qualification I'm pursuing and for which this contract is for, is not there in the list (and, I think, not because it's already of similar nature (ejusdem generis principle), but quite justifiably, it's of a lower/step down qualification). So, is my notice period in fact 1 month?

The problem is, as a separate clause, it also says " after the successful completion of your exams, the period of notice to begiven by either party to terminate your employment is three months.", and I have already completed my exams and obtained this qualification.

2) The second and more compelling reason I was thinking my notice period is 1 month (rather than 3mths) is, half a year ago one of my colleagues resigned with less than even a month's notice. Now, considering we both started/joined an identical training contract, on the same date, will there be a possible case for discriminatory treatment/ terms & conditions on the part of my employer if they were to try to hold me to 3-month notice?

Thank you all in advance for your advice

Edited by Jay999

From my understanding of what your saying you are pursuing a qualification and as such have yet to meet your qualification, as such are still on the months notice part of your contract. Chuck in a months notice with a specific end date and you should be fine.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

From my understanding of what your saying you are pursuing a qualification and as such have yet to meet your qualification, as such are still on the months notice part of your contract. Chuck in a months notice with a specific end date and you should be fine.

Thanks for your time blitz. Sorry, I should've clarified I have actually already completed my exams and obtained this qualification...

• 7 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/08/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4541 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks