BT Default

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3887 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

I found this site after searching to see if I could get any advice on a problem I have with BT. I would be eternally grateful if anyone could give me any guidance on what options I have, My knowledge of financial regulations and laws is practically zero unfortunately.

I was recently turned down for credit so upon joining equifax I discovered that BT had put a default notice on my account in november 2012. The default was from June 2009. I did have an account with them for about two years and I did have some difficulty with paying the bill about 12 months into the contract ( I spoke to BT about this ) I cleared the arrears and the credit file reflects this with the last payments before the default showing green. Because I was moving I cancelled my agreement over the phone and paid the remaing balance by card

I have contacted BT by phone and was told initially they have no record of me, my account, or the address I was at. Subsequent phone calls revealed that they had passed a debt onto a debt collection agency with whom I have had no contact. But they gave me no indication of what the debt was for and told me to contact the debt collection agency Robinson Way ( I haven't)

I have raised a dispute with Equifax and they have said that BT state that I owe them money and can do nothing further

I'm sure I don't owe money but because the debt is from that long ago I have no records myself anymore.

I have searched this site but cannot find an answer specific to my problem. Any advice would be brilliant as I am lacking knowledge of my rights ( If I have any)

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Jamie.

• 4 weeks later...

Your best option will be to make a SAR request to BT clearly stating that you require the following:

True Signed copy of the default notice

Any deed of assignment if the debt was sold on

A breakdown of all charges added to the account

A account summary covering the alleged debt

Just provide the following details to them so they can locate your details:

Name, Address and Date of Birth.

Nothing else.

Once in possession of the above then you can move forward.

Hope that helps

There is no DN notice required on a service agreement... makes these hard to challenge.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Hi,

The default was placed by BT in 2009. Today I received an email from BT (after I made a complaint) stating that they sent me reminders for this debt in February 2010 after which the debt was passed onto a DCA.

Default placed in 2009 and debt passed to DCA in 2010?

I dont understand, please someone explain, is that possible?

Simple

4+ months missed payments mark a default on your credit file.

After this time if you've not paid BT they eventually sell the debt on.

please do not confuse this default with one issued by a financial company, they are not regulated in the same way.

p.s. I thought this was spizz80's thread... :p

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Another thing, they say that the debt was for over £400 but on my credit file it says £303.

This is the email I received from BT:

I've checked your details with the address you've kindly provided. I see you had account with us for the address quoted, we sent a final bill dated 28 January 2010 which came to £428.66. We asked for payment to be made by the 4 February 2010, after reminders were sent no payment was made and this account was passed to a collection agency.

Your advice above to spizz80 was to SAR

Did you send one? That would have all the info you need to see when bills were due.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

In my opinion you're shooting in the dark without this.

I would ask yourself 1st how likely it is that their information is incorrect. Were you about £300 behind in payments in 2009, and did this escalate to around £428 in 2010? If that is the case I don't see what grounds you have to get this removed, and you may be just chasing your tail and gain nothing.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar