Barclaycard secured loan (First Plus)

greenhill
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3728 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

First time posting and hoping for a little advice.

Just had a letter land on my door mat from Credit Solutions Ltd with regard an £80,000 secured debt with Barclaycard Secured Loans.

No other details apart from the usual "give us a call, we are really nice and helpful".

the property that this loan was secured against was repossessed over 5 years ago ( I won't go into details as it was the same story for a lot of us back then).

I have sent off the prove it letter and am awaiting a reply.

I cannot actually remember the amount that was outstanding and think that the sum quoted is really high?

I have no paperwork relating to the loan and even though I had contacted them years ago about being made redundant

and unable to afford payments on both the main mortgage and their loan, I heard nothing back until last week through this DCA?

I am not sure what I can actually do about this but

one thing they cannot do is kick me out of that house!

I have no fear of the DCA's and cannot be intimidated with silly threats.

What I would like to know is what my next step should be?

As I say the loan is no longer secured, I have no possessions as such, not much money left at the end of the month etc and was wandering what they can actually do to me?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Cheers

have a look at your cra file

see below

is this debt showing?

when was YOUR last payment?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

ok good

have you tried noddle?

usually same day info if the card you use for verification is registered at your current address.

their daya can be old

but in this case, that's of no real importance.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Greenhill and welcome to CAG

Even though you may well know the following, I'll mention it anyway, as a warning to others.

Repossession of a property does not mean debts are settled and no longer payable.

Some folk are tempted to hand over keys and hope that's an end to a loan secured on a ppty.

But the reality can often be that, with admin and legal fees, a sizeable debt can be left owing and a DCA may well come looking for this long after a ppty was repo'd.

Let's see what your CRA shows about the alleged debt. Then we can advise better.

As you very rightly say, if you have nothing to give them and no assets they can threaten, what can they do.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick,

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes I was one if the those who thought the debt just went when they had everything but clearly not the case.

With regard the credit file entry it states the amount owed, last payment date and that's it really?

Not sure what their next move will be after my prove it letter but I'm guessing a load of threats.

Would it be worth telling the DCA to stick it and deal directly with the original creditor?

Cheers

so may next year before SB date.

is it still listed with the original creditor?

dx

and they

When your property was repossessed, was there a shortfall on the mortgage ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi CitizenB,

To be honest so much was going on at the time I completely imploded and took very little interest. I know there is nothing outstanding with the original lender and I can only assume that there was nothing left for First Plus? After 5 years I am finding it hard to remember much.

Regards

If the loan was secured, then would the SB date not be 12 years as opposed to the normal 6 that applies to unsecured debts.

Maybe first Plus should approach the primary lender that repo'd the ppty, to see if they should have received any surplus in equity after the primary mgge was cleared.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

That's a good point Slick!

There must have been enough in the sale as the primary lender is not showing on my credit file?

Is there a letter template available for me requesting that they seek some form of payment from the primary lender?

Also the debt of £80,000 consists of around £16,000 for PPI upfront!

Again, how would I go about getting that removed from the outstanding balance?

At this point I feel there is no other alternative than to petition for bankruptcy.

I don't want this debt hanging over me for the next 20+ years.

Thanks for your help.

You could send them a letter stating that as you understand it there is a significant amount of clearly missold PPI which you are chasing and you will advise them of your next steps on receipt of the results of your Subject Access Request. Bear in mind that you will be acknowledging the debt after 5 years though. And it would restart the 12 year clock again.

blimey that much ppi wow!

i'd get that sar off to the original creditor and get all the statements

though if you've paid nothing for a good few years you might already have them in the stuff you are finding.?

something doesn't sit right here with this debt.

why would first plus sit on a debt that large for sooo long

without doing anything about it?

dx

and they

I have thought the same thing? It is a lot of money and they must have known where I was as it clearly shows on my credit file? I've been dealing with other DCA's for CC's etc for the last three years (all unenforceable as it turns out). I just wish I knew what the problem was so I could fight back.

Cheers

Hi GH,

Wow, with that much PPI in the picture, that could change things significantly with interest.

If you can find old paperwork about the loan and the PPI element, it could be literally worth many £000's to you. Is there any chance you have relevant papers stored away somewhere.

Of course, it would also depend on whether the PPI was mis-sold, inappropriate, etc.