JC tried to make appointment on my religious festival!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2872 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

JC decided i should sign weekly. I was meant to sign and see advisor but there was a mistake (surprise surprise) and i signed on with a lady who was clearly narked she had to fit me in between appointments.

She told me i would have to go twice to the JC next week, i immediately informed her it was Eid (muslim version of xmas) and she said - 'i know but you still have to attend'. Wonderful as they screwed it up.

Thankfully my new advisor turned out to be muslim and be booked off so she had to make an appointment the following week.

But really - can they legally do this to people? is it not against human rights or something???

The DWP/JCP are required (as are any other body) required to respect an individuals religious and moral beliefs. This mean that they have to make allowances for religious festivals and can not force you in to taking up certain lines of employment.

For example, a vegetarian working in a butchers shop, or a muslim employed on a pig farm - This should also extend to respecting Eid, Ramadan, Easter, and Christmas (the last two are public holidays, but the concept remains).

To a certain extent, making an appointment for you on the 7/8th Aug would have been driven by ignorance of important dates in the Muslim calender. However, once being made aware of the issue, the appointment date should have been changed (my opinion) or risk falling foul of the law. A formal complaint should be made to the Job Centre manager concerned pointing out that such actions are discriminatory and would not have been imposed on a Christian.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I'd treat this the same as a Jobseekers Direction; you're a jobseeker and the advisor has directed you to attend so it's the same thing in principle. The guidance says this (I've underlined the important bit);

When A Jobseekers Direction should not be used;

For example, Jobseeker’s Directions which relate specifically to a claimant’s:

gender;

religion; or

nationality.

Similarly, if a Jobseeker’s Direction would conflict with a conscientious belief

that the claimant can show is sincerely held, it should not be given.

Show them this when you make your complaint - it's taken from the DWP Jobseekers Guidance document, which they should have. Hopefully they'll see reason - they certainly won't want to have racism complaints against them.

thank you for your replies. I was lucky that my advisor was booked off. But the woman was very firm in that eid or no eid i was to attend. I get the feeling they don't think we are human beings!

It's probably ignorance rather than malice, but I agree that you should complain. It might help other folks in the same situation if the JCP staff are gently reminded about this.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

It's probably ignorance rather than malice, but I agree that you should complain. It might help other folks in the same situation if the JCP staff are gently reminded about this.

how would i go about making a complaint?

how would i go about making a complaint?

In writing, always in writing so that there is a paper trail. Address it to the manager of your local JCP office and mark it as personal correspondence. If the response is unsatisfactory, contact your MP and get them to make representations through the appropriate channels - At this point, you could even consider contacting the Equalities & Human Rights Commission. The course of action you take is very much dependent on the outcome you seek.

An apology from the adviser concerned, equality awareness training for staff, acknowledgement of your religious beliefs ?

Or did you want someone to prepare a draft letter for you ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.