Orange/EE holding number to Ransom

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3100 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I got into financial difficulty a while ago after being a customer of orange now EE for several years.

Up until that point I had been a loyal customer of Orange for over half a decade.

When I was unable to continue making payments due to losing my job,

they eventually sent me a bill for the remaining amount of the contract which was a figure far beyond what I could certainly afford.

After attempts to work this out they sent this debt to a DCA and the bill was reduced to an amount of around 10% which at a struggle I could afford to pay.

But my main problem is I have unique number which I purchased when things were better for me, it cost me close to a £1000 from a third party.

I have the invoice and it’s not even an EE number it’s from another mobile provider.

EE’s uncompromising response is the debt is no longer with them and not their problem

and more importantly we are not giving you the number back (or PUK code).

I rang it last week it’s still not been allocated to anyone.

I’m not against paying the debt nor am I against paying the debt and staying with EE if they will have me

but this is my number and they are basically holding it to ransom.

My belief is it not there’s to hold.

If the sale of goods comes into play I made a legitimate purchase to third party not EE.

Does anyone know what my options are?

Is it legal for them to refuse to supply me with a PUK code for a number I bought and paid for and by rights is mine regardless of any debt.

When started my contract they supplied me with an orange number and I changed it to my purchased number.

Please help;

on top of my other financial problems I cannot readily accept writing off a further £1000 purchase.

Do I have options to pursue this in a small claims court?

Any information would be useful

Thanks

We live in an unmoderated country why should the net be any different?

Bring back free speech we miss it!

I will try and find someone who can help.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

PUK = Personal Unblocking Key (If you try to unlock your phone with the wrong pin, it locks your phone and this is the code to unlock the handset)

PAC = Port Authorization Code (Used to port to a different provider)

If your account has been cancelled the number will be lost.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Hi all

I got into financial difficulty a while ago after being a customer of orange now EE for several years.

Up until that point I had been a loyal customer of Orange for over half a decade.

When I was unable to continue making payments due to losing my job,

they eventually sent me a bill for the remaining amount of the contract which was a figure far beyond what I could certainly afford.

After attempts to work this out they sent this debt to a DCA and the bill was reduced to an amount of around 10% which at a struggle I could afford to pay.

But my main problem is I have unique number which I purchased when things were better for me, it cost me close to a £1000 from a third party.

I have the invoice and it’s not even an EE number it’s from another mobile provider.

EE’s uncompromising response is the debt is no longer with them and not their problem

and more importantly we are not giving you the number back (or PUK code).

I rang it last week it’s still not been allocated to anyone.

I’m not against paying the debt nor am I against paying the debt and staying with EE if they will have me

but this is my number and they are basically holding it to ransom.

My belief is it not there’s to hold.

If the sale of goods comes into play I made a legitimate purchase to third party not EE.

Does anyone know what my options are?

Is it legal for them to refuse to supply me with a PUK code for a number I bought and paid for and by rights is mine regardless of any debt.

When started my contract they supplied me with an orange number and I changed it to my purchased number.

Please help;

on top of my other financial problems I cannot readily accept writing off a further £1000 purchase.

Do I have options to pursue this in a small claims court?

Any information would be useful

Thanks

I think you mean PAC (Porting Authorisation code) rather than PUK.

A PAC allows you to move a mobile number between providers. A PUK unlocks a SIM that has been locked by entering the wrong PIN too many times.

http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/refuse_PAC

The only reasons why a provider can refuse to give a PAC are:

the account for that number has been terminated

Your provider cannot refuse to issue a PAC if you have any outstanding bills or charges to pay.

These charges should be included in your final bill after the port has taken place. You should then settle them as agreed in your contract.

So, if the account hasn't been terminated then you can insist on the PAC.

If the account has been terminated, the number can be re-allocated.

BTW, even if you paid to have use of a 'cherished' number, it was only ever the network's who allowed it to be allocated to you : it was never "your number".

So, hopefully the account hasn't been terminated, but from "EE’s uncompromising response is the debt is no longer with them and not their problem " : the account may have been terminated in which case I fear you have no redress.