• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Varooma Logbook Loan Have Took My Car!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3908 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I'm new to this so apologies if I do things wrong...

I need some advice and fast.

Last September I fell into financial difficulties and needed to raise a large amount of money fast to stop my house being repossessed,

I was £1,500 short so I contacted a company called Varooma online to enquire about taking out a logbook loan secured against my car

(Stupid I know but I felt desperate at the time)

an hour later a female agent was at my house telling me that I could have the money in my bank account in 20 minutes and all my worries would be over.

I signed on the dotted line agreed to make monthly payments of £193 over 18 months meaning I pay back £3,474

( yes what an idiot but like I said I felt desperate)

for the first few months I managed to make the payments ontime but

in January I was 5 days late when I rang up to pay - they asked me for £400 !

They said this was late payment fees, I told them I only had £225 in my account so they said Ok that will do,

this happened on four more occassions and they have accepted £200, £230, £210 & £218.

At the start of June I knew I couldn't make my payment until the 19th (payment day should be 1st of the month)

I rang and told them and they said that was fine,

however the very next day the agent that came to sign me up for the original loan came to take my car..

. I went mad, got on the phone to them and they said unless I paid £700 she was taking it!

my sister came to help

asked her to leave and told me to drive my car off which I did and kept it hidden until I made my payment on the 19th,

when I did they accepted £195 and said they would cancel the repossession order.

I told them my July payment would be paid on the 31st they said this was fine.

On the 31st July I rang to tell them I would be making payment on the 1st as money hadn't cleared into my account

( I have pre-payment card sometimes takes a day for money to load on) they said this was fine.

I rang yesterday to make payment they said my card had been declined I asked them to try again,

he refused and said contact your bank and find out what the problem is and call us back.

decided to wait until I got home and check online, when I got home I found that they had been and towed my car away!!!:-x

They want £1,300 to release it back to me £495 for the recovery people,

£193 for my months payment and the rest is late payment charges!!!

They are refusing to show me the Bill Of Sale.

Please can someone help me?

oh dear I bet the bill of sale is not stamped.

unlawful repo

you'll get all your money back too if that's the case.

you should by law be issued with a copy of the stamped and registered BoS.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No logbook loan repossessions are not always legal,

if linked to a CCA agreement or if the BOS has not been registered with the high court.

If BOS registered then yes they can reposses, but have to show registration and debt details.

If linked to a CCA then can not reposses if on private property without a court order ( but can if on public road and under a third has only been paid ).

Over a third, they need a court order wherever it is.

020 7947 7772

[email protected] ov.uk.

QB Enforcement Section, Room E15-E17, Royal Courts of Justice, Strand, London, WC2A 2LL.

is the number to ring and check if your BoS has been registered.

many many are not!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you , sorry for the late reply I'm new on here so still getting to grips with it.

After being very firm last night

one of them emailed me the BOS and a breakdown of what they say I owe

( the charges are unbelievable, I would be paying money to them forever!)

there is no registration number or date on the BOS just some writing which has been crossed out say that this is a true copy of the Affidavit

& it has the Agent who originally signed me up for the loan name on.

It also has the name and address of a solicitors here in Manchester , the company are based in Surrey?

Hopefully the BOS is void.

doesn't sound right to me too.

this could get interesting

p'haps you need to [sadly] pay and findout if that BOS is legit...me thinks not.

dx

and they

Well it's nothing compared to what they've had off me. Once again thank you for your help

Let you know how I get on.

Just found out the agent they use is a well known loan shark, apparently she used to be on her own but have some muscle guys collect if people couldn't make payments!!!

Now she's a legal loan shark!

Edited by Pnoodles

Do I need the registration number that should be on the Bill of Sale before I write to the High Court? The guy at Varooma is refusing to give it to me, he also said he hid the stamp!

no it should be searchable under the reg number

dx

and they

Just as a precautionary measure, hide the car away from your house unless you have a locked garage. Just incase they decide to turn up and basically steal it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

if they do then its all the money back and the car.

if the BoS is not registered

dx

and they

Just as a precautionary measure, hide the car away from your house unless you have a locked garage. Just incase they decide to turn up and basically steal it.

They've already taken it while I was out on Thursday, I asked them today if I could get my personal belongings out of it but they said unfortunately no. They also told me it's not in a compound it's with a private seller but have assured me they've not sold it, won't tell me who the private seller is. I read somewhere that if it was at a compound I could contact them and tell them there's a dispute over ownership?

oh dear oh dear.

have you been to the police about this

you need to report its been taken

and get a crime number

if the desk clerk will not do it

go higher.

you need to findout if that BoS is registered with the court.

dx

and they

where was the car parked please too

dx

and they

where was the car parked please too

dx

I rang the police they said nothing they can do because it's a civil matter. It was parked outside my sisters which is round the corner from my house, it's not a private road. I have also paid them well over a third back. I've drawn up the letter will send it off tomorrow morning, I'm also going to ring them on the off chance they'll tell me over the phone.

Speak to an actual officer. Not a civilian front desk rep

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Tell the officer exactly what has happened. Dont ramble or lie. Provide evidence of what you say, especially if the BoS was not registered. The police MUST treat this seriously otherwise they would be seen to be complicit.

I haven't got the proof yet that the Bill of Sale wasn't registered because they're saying they've just covered up the registration number & stamp because they don't have to show it to me

They DO have to show you it. It is an integral part of the BoS. Imho, they havent registered it and are hoping you simply give up.

However, as already advised, you should be able to check simply by calling the court or writing and give them the registration number of the vehicle. The system will then show pretty much immediately whether the BoS is registered or not.

Also remember that even if the BoS is legitimate, if your personal belongings were still in the vehicle and they refuse to give you them back, then they you could get them for theft of personal property.

I've just rang the police, spoke to an officer, they are adamant they can't get involved & I have to go to a solicitor but she did give me a crime reference number & no they refused to let me get my personal belongings because I have the key & they don't want me to know where they are keeping my car! I'm livid!

I would go down to the local station in person and speak to a sergeant. Something doesnt sit right here.

that's good.

now you've upped the anti.

you now need to write to whom has you car.

pref by RD

telling them you have a crime reference number

and that you expect a copy of the stamped BoS by return post

and details of where your pers belongings are

or you will escalate the matter with the police

and come get your belongings.

also invite them to drop the whole matter

by returning the car forthwith.

and never more darkening your life.

remind them of the consequences if it does transpire that the BoS is invalid.

dx

and they