Judge Ordered Claimant To Supply Info - They Haven't

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3880 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Just a quick one asking for your help so I can see the wood for the trees.

Am fighting a long standing case where the claimant has not responded to numerous responses for a a full SAR and statement of account as I need it for my defence.

A court date was set for last month and I asked the court to push it back becuase I was still waiting for missing information.

He denied my request saying he couldn't make the decision without knowing if I had a valid defence.

I subsequently wrote back to him detailing my defence and the CCA law that backed me up and listed why the missing information was crucial to my defence.

He wrote back making an order for them to supply the missing infrmation by yesterday and for me to submit my statement of truth 7 days after that.

I gave it until today to see what turns up and nothing has. Instead I received an email from their solicitors asking me to settle 'Without Prejudice save as to costs' with a lesser payment of what they say I owe.

They have sent another email today asking if I was willing to accept their offer or not.

The settle amount is still twice the amount I would be happy at paying and want to get a better understanding of what the implications are if I take the advice of the clerk at the court and write to the judge telling him I still can't complete my defence as the claimant has not complied with his order.

What is the judge likely to do as they have not complied with his order?

Knowing that their case may not be as cut and dried as they first thought, how much/long do I try and get their settlement offer down to what I am happy paying?

Cheers,

Bel

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Inform the court, of their failure to comply with the judges order and make the court aware of their 'offer' which personally I would reject.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

As I understand it, the courts are becoming stricter regarding non compliance of their orders.

So, yes write to the court, and let the Judge know that the claimant is still either unable or unwilling to release information they were ordered to provide in the Judge's order dated XYZ.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Inform the court, of their failure to comply with the judges order and make the court aware of their 'offer' which personally I would reject.

Can you advise the court of the offer, given it is an offer "without prejudice save as to costs"?

Would it be better to advise the court only of their non-compliance with the DJ's order, request the court rule on a dismissal, and only after judgement bring the issue of costs?

Yes certainly, this 'offer' is being made to subvert the judges order and an attempt to secure a higher settlement.

Either way one would look for dismissal as the offer is unacceptable.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

how do u start a new thread?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/index.php

Go the forum you want - the link above is the index. Once you have the correct forum, there is a "Post new thread" button which you then click on.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Wow guys, I thought as much but thought the sun was going to my head and I wasn't thinking right!

I think I've got the offer because they have realised that

1. I'm willing to stand up in court to fight my court

2. Legally, I have the law on my side

3. It would appear that the judge agrees with me

I called the court today and said that I would give it one more day and then write to the judge and she said that was probably best.

In that letter, do I state as the the claimant has not supplied the information ordered by him on date X, Y, Z I am unable to adequately fulfill and complete my statement of truth and I therefore request that the case be dismissed?

I'm thinking that even with an offer to settle, they should still supply the information the court has ordered?

Thanks again guys,

Bel

Wow guys, I thought as much but thought the sun was going to my head and I wasn't thinking right!

I think I've got the offer because they have realised that

1. I'm willing to stand up in court to fight my court

2. Legally, I have the law on my side

3. It would appear that the judge agrees with me

I called the court today and said that I would give it one more day and then write to the judge and she said that was probably best.

In that letter, do I state as the the claimant has not supplied the information ordered by him on date X, Y, Z I am unable to adequately fulfill and complete my statement of truth and I therefore request that the case be dismissed?

I'm thinking that even with an offer to settle, they should still supply the information the court has ordered?

Thanks again guys,

Bel

Yes pretty much..

As requested by Judge XYZ's order dated DATE.

You are advising the court that Claimant has not complied with the Judges order to provide DOCUMENTS. You are therefore unable to comply with (whatever the judge ordered you to do )

BCOBS

If the letter has not already gone Belstar it may be prudent to add the relevant CPR PDs which you are making the request....IE CPR 3 PD 3/PD 4.I personally would have put it on an application notice N244 and requested costs within the applicatiopn.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Ok, just Googled it.

There is a lot to read and take in, is there one bit that you can direct me to Andy that would be relevant in this situation as well as wording for the letter?

Thanks Andy,

Michelle

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part03

Then look at CPR 3.3 and CPR 3.4

PDs are practice directions .3 and .4 ........letters to the court as advised by the staff are pointless....courts only action request by way of their own forms.(and there relevant fees).

You are making a legal request now to impose sanction on failure to comply with a directive so therefore you should use the CPR as your legal reference.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Thanks Andy,

I've also just looked at an N244 form which I can download so in the information box in support of my application, I basically state that the claimant has not carried out the judges order, refer back to the necessary section in .3 and .4 and that's it?

Cheers,

bel

Yes that's it Bel but phrase it pursuant to CPR 3 PD.s (3.3/3.4)

Thanks Andy,

And what costs am I asking for? The £80 I have to pay to lodge the N244??

The information still didn't turn up yesterday but assuming they turn up tomorrow, am I still within my rights to ask for it to be dismissed?

Best wishes,

Bel

You really should attach a draft order to the application also Bel this is were you request costs in this application.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

Sorry for being so incredibly thick!

A draft order should say what exactly as I though that information should be on the N244??

On the other hand, have just opened a letter which arrived yesterday to find that John Lewis have gone back over an old PPI claim that they rejected in 2010 and have offered me £2700 as they have now upheld my original complaint after assessing it against their new measures.

Result!

Thanks for your patience with me Andy :oops:

Bel

The N244 should state briefly what you request and the reason why.

It will state further down have you made/included a Draft Order..this is how applications are made. Tick yes and attach.

Here is an example :-

Edit to suit

#### START OF ORDER ####

In the .........countycourt

Claim No. ...

Before

District Judge ………

Dated ……… 20…

Claimant A

and

Defendant B

Draft/ORDER

The Claimant has failed xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And Further to the DJ xxxxxxxxx General Order and Directions dated xx xxxxx 2013

IT IS ORDERED THAT:

1. The Defendant be granted summary judgment on the whole of the claim and the claim by the struck out.

2. The Claimant do pay to the Defendant forthwith the sum of £[ ] in respect ofthe claim.

3. The Claimant do pay the Defendant costs of the claim, in the sum of £[ ]within 14 days.

#### END OF ORDER ####

Fill in the gaps where ..... or [ ] is present.

The following are assumed:

1.) That in the hearing you will represent yourself;

2.) That the other side will be represented by counsel;

amend the order to suit.

Some courts are reluctant to strike out for breach of only one order. It might be an idea that you apply for an unless order (an order that unless a party does something their case is struck out).

So I'd suggest the draft order says something like

"The Claimant comply with the Order of [date of original order] in that the claimant shall within 7 days of the date of this order provide the Defendant with

in default of which the claim shall be struck out and in any event the claimant shall pay within 14 days the claimants costs of and occasioned by this application [application fee plus your time at LIP rates)"

I'm not clear whether you've got a counterclaim or not. I think it might help if you gave us a bit more info - what stage in the proceedings is this? I presume that you've had a claim and that you haven't filed a defence yet because you don't have enough info - but I could be wrong?

Can you post a copy of the original order - suitably redacted.

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

It does not require an "unless " ......since the recent changes to the CPR of April 2013 the court has now clamped down on either party not complying with directions and sanctions are now imposed without further warning.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok,

Have come back from holiday to find the statement from the claimant as well saying that unless I provide more information that they failed the order, he won't list my claim for a hearing.

On closer inspection, the solicitors had dated the letter the day before the court had ordered them to supply me with the information, but the statement was not sent from the finance company until 4.55pm of the day I should have received it. It has their date and time stamp on the fax.

The solicitors had stated that they had served the documents on 29th and that date of service is 31st. They obviously couldn't have served on 29th as the fax from their client clearly states that it wasn't sent until the end of the following day - to them and not me!

I will be writing to the court pointing this out but should I add anything else in there as it's obvious that the solicitor has lied??

Bel