Currys - Cooker problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3915 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In December we purchased a cooker from Currys, it was installed in early January 2013.

The installers pointed out some problems with the flooring and changed the orientation of the cooker owing to the boiler's position on the wall, we accepted this reluctantly as they said that now that the cooker is out of its wrapper they can't take it back to the yard.

After a council inspection, they declared it an illegal installation.

We contacted Currys in late March via their website after coming to the conclusion that the new position was unsuitable and leaves part of the cooker relatively unusable, they responded on the 2nd April stating that the fact that they repositioned it was to make it legal, so they would do nothing.

After several other emails, and long gaps between responses, they agreed to at least come and inspect the installation, that have made one appointment and missed it and forwarded on the emails to the 'right person' to re-arrange an appointment twice, but we have actually had no meaningful response.

We even asked who we should contact to further our complaint, just again to be told the message will be forwarded.

During the back and forth messaging, we also raised concerns about the quality of the build of the cooker, as the knobs crack over the heat of the ovens and become unusable (2 replacements from Belling for free) and the paint on the 'not-iron' pan rests over the gas hob is coming away to reveal a silver base metal, so we raised a point about it not lasting a reasonable amount of time.

Is there anything we can do regarding any points made above.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Who from the Council declared the cooker installation as illegal and do you have a written report from them?

I assume you paid currys to have the install the cooker and as its Gas I would be insisting that currys forward you the individuals that installed the cooker their Gas Safety Register Number.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Send a complaint to Curry's in writing, and recorded delivery.

This would come under the Trades Descriptions Act as the cooker is faulty and not fit for the purpose it was sold for.

Google the terms of the Trades Descriptions Act and quote them in your letter.

Under these terms you are actually covered for around 5 years, not 1 year after sale.

I had the same problem with Argos who sold me a faulty cooker, and when I quoted the act I got a free replacement!!

If you cannot get anywhere doing it this way, then you need to contact your local Trading Standards.

Good luck xx

You don't want the trade descriptions act, that has largely been repealed, so don't quote this.

You imply that the cooker was fitted by curry's and if this was the case you need the supply of goods and services act; goods must be of a reasonably satisfactory standard and installed with reasonable skill and care.

As to time limits, whilst you have six years to bring a claim the remedy you are entitled to decreases over time, after the first few months you may not be able to swing a refund (if this is what you want). That said, you lose the right to a full refund after a reasonable time and what this will be will be different in each case. There is no statutory 'warranty' only the right to sue the supplier for a certain period of time.

If you bought the cooker from currys, but someone else installed it then things become a tad more complex.