BankFodder BankFodder

ssmith31

Child tax credits & education

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2432 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Good afternoon,

We're having some problems finding education for my partner's son. He was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago and thankfully is ok now and has overcome it but has anxiety and agoraphobia. He went from a normal child to an anxious terrified child in a few years. He doesn't leave the house without his mother and won't go anywhere with lots of people. He waited 2 years just for an assessment for this but is now on a waiting list for counselling and support.

He has had 'hospital schooling' from home for the past few years but this has now ended. He only had 5 hours a week so did 2 GCSEs. The school said they can't offer him anything. We can't seem to find any education for him. The problem is we also can't afford to lose out on the tax credits because we're struggling at the moment. I also don't want him becoming just a statistic sitting at home doing nothing.

Does anybody have any ideas on what we can do with him but also receive the tax credits? It sounds terrible but we really can't afford to live without that.

I think he has to be in 'further education' and it must be full time? Is this correct? Is there anything home based that would fit this criteria?

Thank you :)

Edited by ssmith31

Full time is 12 hours per week.

Another option could be ESA for him. But you'll lose the benefits you get for him. Depending on how much you both earn, he may get more or less in ESA than you currently do for him.

As above, full time is 12 hours of tuition a week. I know that home educated children continue to receive the child benefit so I would assume they also receive tax credits. However I would think it most important that you explore the child's future. What do they want to do with their lives? How will they achieve that? If there are barriers such as social anxiety, what is the child doing to overcome that? And then explore those options.

I had no idea he could claim ESA. But the problem with that is I think he will become too comfortable doing nothing at home and we don't want that.

He shows such a lack of interest in almost everything, it's such a shame. He loves his playstation and shows some interest in wildlife so we've been looking into that but unsuccessfully so far.

He is still on the waiting list for counselling as he suffers with very bad anxiety to the point where he won't leave the house without a lot of encouragement.

I think he should be able to do GCSEs from home but the school is refusing so far. Very frustrating!

Thanks for the replies