Jump to content

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2843 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



Please help and explain if a landlord can legally increase monthly rent by £150.


A bit of background. At the end of August we will have been in this property 4.5 years. When we moved in back in 2009 our rent was £850. almost 2 years later I mentioned to our landlord that we were expecting our second baby due around the 2 year anniversary of living here. We then received a letter stating that the rent will be increased to £900 which is what we paid consistently. Earlier this year my husband who works on a commission basis received salary of £960. His lowest ever. All our other direct debit went off and the biggest amount (the rent) didn't go off as we didn't have enough. Initially she wanted to evict us if we didn't come up with it in a weeks time. And then finally agreed we could split the £900 over 3 months and therefore pay £1200 for 3 months which the last one would have been paid end of June. Luckily for us after paying the first £1200 we managed to get help of £600 to pay her the rest and we were therefore upto date with her rent and been paying £900 since April now.


Earlier this month we received a letter stating that the rent would be increased from September to £1050. My immediate thought was that she wants us out now as she is fully aware that we just about covering our monthly bills. Her later stated that we need to increase our standing order if not to take it as our official 2 months notice and vacate.


Now the problem is in our area we cannot find anything cheaper. They all similar priced. We were looking into putting money slowly away to move by next year before our 5 year anniversary in the property as we really cannot afford the deposit, rent and credit checks upfront at this time of the year. We also think that increasing it by £150 is really really high and it is her way of getting us out because of having problems before.


Can she do that. The first 2 years we signed 1 year contracts but have never signed anything since. She also stated that she has never increased the rent before which is not the case. And rental properties with the value of £1050 in our area are all semi detached with dining room or conservatory or something additional which hers isnt but a small mid-terraced property.



Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get an evaluation done by referring it to the Rent Assessment Committee after you have received notification in the correct way by a section 13 notice which will have these rights on it.

the minimum notice is one month and should start on a rent period day

you need to apply to the panel before the rent increase is due to start.

Where are you? there are different panels in each part of the UK.

You can obtain an application form from the panel address.

Now the panel will decide what the maximum rent that can be charged based on what comparable properties are renting for.

The decision is final and applicable, no appeal.

If you decline the proposed rent increase, the LL will most probably issue a section 21 notice for possession, with two months notice before the LL can take any action ( court for an eviction order etc.) which could take a few extra months.

Did you pay a deposit and is protected?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stressed, did you see the post made by raydetinu ?


Most of the caggers who advise are Volunteers and have day jobs so tend to be around mostly in the evenings.


If you are in a hurry you could speak to Shelter - they don't just deal with homeless people, but have a dedicated department for situations such as yours.




Ring 0808 800 4444


8am-8pm Monday-Friday

8am-5pm Saturday-Sunday


Calls are free from UK landlines and main

mobile networks (Vodafone, O2, EE and

Virgin Mobile).

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **


Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first


1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read





2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS


Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldnt the local council have a department or officer that investigates high rents? I know the area where i live, the council has one, and normally clamp down on rogue LL's that try to inflate rents above the average price. Especially to migrant workers.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..



If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks


Link to post
Share on other sites

The local Rent Assessment Committee IS the correct body to determine disputed, proposed rent increases.


LL cannot evict, only seek repossession via valid s21 and the Court. That letter is not a valid s21.


When did you last sign an AST with a new fixed term included?


I assume LL wants the proposed increase is paid on Sept rent due date (late Sept?) so could obtain repo by Dec/Jan so I would either

1 contact RAC imm for a binding decision or

2 start saving for new place (1 month rent + deposit) with a view to move by Oct/Nov after giving required Notice

3 negotiate with LL

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...