• Tweets

• No Andy, I'll scan, redact and upload later today. So the court sent me 2 letters, same envelope and stapled together but with different dates!. 1. N24 General Form of Judgement or Order, stating: UPON considering the papers herein IT IS ORDERED THAT The claim is listed for an attended hearing 25 May....... at which court will consider allocation..  etc   2. N24 Notice of PTR/Adjnd/Restored/Hrg/Management conference TAKE NOTICE that the hearing will take place on 24 May at....... When you should attend 30 minutes has been allowed for the Hearing   No other instructions anywhere in the envelope or on the letters. Do I attend both?
    • Then leave it just proceed with the claim( strike out/SJ application are risky).....the defendant will not be permitted to rely on written evidence (documented) only verbally as they failed to comply with the N157 (unless they have filed with the court and failed to serve you a copy) ?  
    • Ive asked court to strike out for non compliance but they came back and said needs £275 application fee and formal n244  
    • Did the N24 invite either party to submit a statement ?
    • Thanks for responding Andy, that was my understanding when receiving the N24, mild panic when I got Link's WS for the date though! not sure why they would send me theirs..
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3899 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well why didn't you say so in the first place?

If the debtor is not present,the debtor has not entered into a controlled goods agreement has he?

Even today,in a debtors absence,impounding has not taken place as the bailiff will not have been able to make his intentions known.

OK-I see where you're coming from-You want to nit-pik the validity of a WP where the debtor is present but refuses to sign.If it was that simple to just levy on goods there would have been no need to have required "close possession for the past few centuries would there?With the costs involved in modern day enforcement,close possession is not a valid option therefore it is rarely,if ever undertaken.An unsigned WP (constructive WP) is implied as opposed to agreed.The bailiff must then take regular steps to ensure that the goods remain in the custody of the law or they will soon become abandoned.Again due to costs involved,this is rarely if ever maintained & people like HCEOs merely rely on the general publics ignorance.

I would refer you to a quote from Philip Evans who worked for many years at the MOJ & is highly respected in the enforcement sector:

"taking" walking possession is always risky and should never be done

Did Phil work at the MOJ ?( Does he know)

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can I be in error?

You seemed to be under the impression that some kind of agreement had to be made between the bailiff and debtor before a legal levy could be made,this was an error :)

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

You seemed to be under the impression that some kind of agreement had to be made between the bailiff and debtor before a legal levy could be made,this was an error :)

No_I am under the impression that some kind of impounding must take place.

That said,without an agreement,a levy soon becomes abandoned anyway so I guess an agreement is pretty crucial in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe that's why its called a "Walking Possession Agreement" as opposed to just a "Walking Possession"? Just a stab in the dark like.

No_I am under the impression that some kind of impounding must take place.

That said,without an agreement,a levy soon becomes abandoned anyway so I guess an agreement is pretty crucial in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe that's why its called a "Walking Possession Agreement" as opposed to just a "Walking Possession"? Just a stab in the dark like.

Oh I see :)

As I said earlier, an agreement does not need to be made for the goods to be formally seized. If goods are seized then a walking possession agreement is left at the property which should be signed and returned by the debtor.

If you are taking your advice from the forum I suspect then there is little hope for you as the owner/moderator knows little about enforcement and appears, like you, to misinterpret almost every regulation and case law there is.

As a rule I wound get involved on a thread like this don't know enough about legislation but I do have an opinion

the notice of distress and the Walking possession agreement used to be 2 different forms

now they are one form the walking possession agreement usually at the bottom of the notice of distress

Its about time they were put back to 2 forms maybe then it wouldn't come across to the debtor as this agreement needs to be signed by the debtor to make the levy legal

When the landlord impounds the goods upon the premises1, leaving them there without anyone in possession, that is sufficient custody, for they are in the custody of the law. If he abandons them, then the possession reverts to the tenant. Whether or not his acts amount to an abandonment is always one of fact when the point arises. If he puts a bailiff in possession it is not necessary that the bailiff should retain continuous physical possession.

The modern practice is for the distrainor and the tenant to enter into a walking possession agreement. This permits the tenant to continue to have the use of the goods and to avoid the expense and inconvenience of having a person in possession. The tenant agrees that in consideration of the distrainor not leaving a person in close possession and leaving the goods in their existing positions he will not remove or allow any of the goods to be removed from the premises. Such an agreement may be made by the tenant or a responsible person in the house.

Such an agreement prevents the tenant from saying that there has not been an impounding actual or constructive7. It does not, however, bind any stranger who is not aware of the impounding.

A form of walking possession agreement is prescribed9 and a charge for walking possession is provided for.

For the prescribed form of walking possession agreement see the Distress for Rent Rules 1988, SI 1988/2050, App 2 Form 8 (amended by SI 2003/1858). The forms in the Distress for Rent Rules 1988, SI 1988/2050, App 2 (as amended) may be used with such variations as the circumstances may require: r 2(2).

Its about time they were put back to 2 forms maybe then it wouldn't come across to the debtor as this agreement needs to be signed by the debtor to make the levy legal

The problem with this is that it implies that the debtor has a choice(ie if he didn't sign there is no agreement, no levy) in fact he has no choice an "agreement" is irrelevant.

It is a good idea to get a common record of the details of the goods impounded though.

The problem with this is that it implies that the debtor has a choice(ie if he didn't sign there is no agreement, no levy) in fact he has no choice an "agreement" is irrelevant.

It is a good idea to get a common record of the details of the goods impounded though.

Not much use after April 2014 though when Part 3 kicks in.

"To take control of goods an enforcement officer must enter into a controlled goods agreement with the debtor"

Again you are out of context

The measures below are there to ascertain the way the levy is made, not the legality of it.

If option (d)the one you mention, is not agreed, he can just go with option ©

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2007/15/schedule/12

Ways of taking control

13(1)To take control of goods an enforcement agent must do one of the following—

(a)secure the goods on the premises on which he finds them;

(b)if he finds them on a highway, secure them on a highway, where he finds them or within a reasonable distance;

©remove them and secure them elsewhere;

(d)enter into a controlled goods agreement with the debtor

Again you are out of context

The measures below are there to ascertain the way the levy is made, not the legality of it.

If option (d)the one you mention, is not agreed, he can just go with option ©

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2007/15/schedule/12

Ways of taking control

13(1)To take control of goods an enforcement agent must do one of the following—

(a)secure the goods on the premises on which he finds them;

(b)if he finds them on a highway, secure them on a highway, where he finds them or within a reasonable distance;

©remove them and secure them elsewhere;

(d)enter into a controlled goods agreement with the debtor

How am I out of context? We have for the past 2 pages been discussing the essence of the word "agreement".You are now moving the goalposts.

The likeyhood is that anyone strong enough to stand up to a bailiff regarding the "agreement" will also refuse him entry.As a consequence,the only option he'll have is to gamble on levying & removing a car there & then.Whereas visit fees will be higher,removal fees will be controlled and the bailiff will risk court proceedings for wrongful levy/theft etc.It will just not be practical for bailiffs to remove goods on the spot & if bailiffs were to risk this on a daily basis,they would run the risk of being sued collectively for more than they're worth.

In addition,it would not be looked upon favourably in a court of law if goods were removed on the first visit,thus not enabling the debtor a reasonable opportunity to address the issue.We are after all still the UK,despite the best efforts of bodies like the DWP and local authorities to conduct themselves otherwise.

Seems quite clear to me.

13(1) says he can, wrt a car:

a) clamp it on your driveway.

b)clamp it on the highway

c)tow it

d)enter into an AGREEMENT.

Don't see an option to levy and walk away without clamping?

The routine clamping or towing of vehicles that may not belong to the debtor could get rather expensive for Bailff Corp !

it would not be looked upon favourably in a court of law if goods were removed on the first visit,thus not enabling the debtor a reasonable opportunity to address the issue.

Hi,

What experience do you base the first part of your statement on? Surely the time to address the issue is at the CCJ stage, not at enforcement.

The law of Distress perhaps. The making of a distress in itself constitutes (only) a demand. When chattels have been seized, it is necessary to imprison and secure the chattels for safe custody until the cause of distress is satisfied or the statutory period has elapsed at the expiration of which the chattels can be lawfully sold by reason of the tenant failing to replevy them. The sale may not be held until five days have elapsed from the taking of the distress and notice thereof. See the Distress for Rent Act 1689 s 1 (as amended)

Hi,

What experience do you base the first part of your statement on? Surely the time to address the issue is at the CCJ stage, not at enforcement.

Yes bailiffs are of course entitled to remove goods on their first visit, the reaason that they don't(often) is purely a commercial one.

Hi,

Hi,

We were speaking about scenario's next year when part 3 comes into force.Of course not all enforcement comes after CCJ's & debts like Council Tax & parking fines rarely see the debtor afforded the opportunity to speak in court.

Bailiffs are driven by the incentive of commission so they will clearly like the debtor to have a feeling of helplessness-The truth is that debtors are far from helpless.Bailiffs working for LA's for instance have a duty to ascertain if a debtor is vulnerable,what their financial circumstances are,if a debtor is in receipt of income support,housing benefit,etc,etc-To simply charge in & remove goods because a debtor refuses to enter into an agreement is not really a valid option.In these circumstances,9 times out of 10,the removed goods will be a car-Even if bailiff companies had enough tow trucks at their disposal,they would never risk the backlash incurred by multiple mistaken removals.

Hi,

We were speaking about scenario's next year when part 3 comes into force.Of course not all enforcement comes after CCJ's & debts like Council Tax & parking fines rarely see the debtor afforded the opportunity to speak in court.

Bailiffs are driven by the incentive of commission so they will clearly like the debtor to have a feeling of helplessness-The truth is that debtors are far from helpless.Bailiffs working for LA's for instance have a duty to ascertain if a debtor is vulnerable,what their financial circumstances are,if a debtor is in receipt of income support,housing benefit,etc,etc-To simply charge in & remove goods because a debtor refuses to enter into an agreement is not really a valid option.In these circumstances,9 times out of 10,the removed goods will be a car-Even if bailiff companies had enough tow trucks at their disposal,they would never risk the backlash incurred by multiple mistaken removals.

Your forgetting not all Bailiff/Enforcement Officers work on a commision basis and the job of a Bailiff/Enforcement Officer is to seize the goods of a respondent and raise the sums to pay the balance and in most cases are ordered or commanded by the warrant/writ to do so. Payments plans/Walking possession agreements are simply at the discretion of the Bailiff/Enforcement Officer.

Bailiffs are not debt collectors nor telephone collection agents, however councils are treating them as such and are using Bailiffs far too often which results in the problems we see on this forum and many others alike.

Bailiffs should not be used as a first port of call, sending in the Bailiffs when someone doesn't pay council tax one month should not result in the bailiffs being sent in, especially in these hard times, more discretion should be used by councils.

Your forgetting not all Bailiff/Enforcement Officers work on a commision basis and the job of a Bailiff/Enforcement Officer is to seize the goods of a respondent and raise the sums to pay the balance and in most cases are ordered or commanded by the warrant/writ to do so. Payments plans/Walking possession agreements are simply at the discretion of the Bailiff/Enforcement Officer.

Bailiffs are not debt collectors nor telephone collection agents, however councils are treating them as such and are using Bailiffs far too often which results in the problems we see on this forum and many others alike.

Bailiffs should not be used as a first port of call, sending in the Bailiffs when someone doesn't pay council tax one month should not result in the bailiffs being sent in, especially in these hard times, more discretion should be used by councils.

Very true, unless the council is infested by Capita, in which case bailiffs are the first option, as Equita need an income, and they will see this change as a win win for them.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Very true, unless the council is infested by Capita, in which case bailiffs are the first option, as Equita need an income, and they will see this change as a win win for them.

That's a whole different issue and the Council should not allow a company to have such control over it's services.

Hi,

You haven't really answered my question though...

You haven't really answered my question though...

Really????

Well as we were on about April 2014 onwards,it should be pretty obvious that no-one has had any experience but my original answer should have helped the penny drop for you as to why it would not be looked upon favourably by a judge-Not that experience is needed to have made the statement in the first place.

Really????

Well as we were on about April 2014 onwards,it should be pretty obvious that no-one has had any experience but my original answer should have helped the penny drop for you as to why it would not be looked upon favourably by a judge-Not that experience is needed to have made the statement in the first place.

I personally find it difficult to see why you would think that a judge would be concerned, the authority to remove the goods has already been given ??

I personally find it difficult to see why you would think that a judge would be concerned, the authority to remove the goods has already been given ??

If you care to re-read my post,it should be clear,even to you that the hyperthetical scenario I had created involved removing a vehicle on a first visit.Like most of the hot air that comes from the bailiff side of the argument on here,you may talk about/threaten to remove vehicles on a first visit when a debtor refuses to enter into a controlled agreement but in practice,it rarely,if ever happens due in no small part to the consequenses of civil action.

If you care to re-read my post,it should be clear,even to you that the hyperthetical scenario I had created involved removing a vehicle on a first visit.Like most of the hot air that comes from the bailiff side of the argument on here,you may talk about/threaten to remove vehicles on a first visit when a debtor refuses to enter into a controlled agreement but in practice,it rarely,if ever happens due in no small part to the consequenses of civil action.

Oh I see, I have always had a problem with hypothetical, i made the mistake of not living in the world you have created.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3899 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks