Suspended on full pay during notice period

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3922 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Need a bit of advice with my situation...

I am currently working my notice period, and am starting a new job on 9th August.

I was off on annual leave last week and returned to work today and was promptly suspended on full pay pending investigation. The reason for this is that I work for a company sub-contracted by the prison service and have been seeing an ex-client of ours who was transferred to another prison in April.

I have held my hands up to this as I know that the situation is wrong, however I'm not sure why they've decided to suspend me when a) it does not state in our employee handbook that suspension is a consequence of misconduct in any form (they class this as gross misconduct), and b) I'm leaving in two weeks anyway.

The employee handbook states that any form of misconduct will go through the following channels: verbal warning, written warning, final written warning, dismissal. No suspension mentioned.

I'm not particularly fussed about the fact I've been suspended as I knew it would only be a matter of time, and my personal life was one of the main reasons I handed my notice in, so that I could continue seeing him without there being any issues. I know I should have waited until leaving my current position but as they say, you can't help who you fall for.

I am worried that when my new job asks for references, my current employer will obviously tell them I was suspended for the last two weeks of employment, and I don't know whether this will affect my offer. I have a fall-back job offer as well but again, I don't know how much a bad reference will affect it.

Also, I have been told I need to go to an investigation meeting on Wednesday with my area manager. Do I really need to attend this? At the end of the day, they will be dismissing me for this so what is the point in me even going to fight my corner? It's not like they will agree to a good reference if I go and that would really be my only advantage...

Has anyone been in a similar situation or can give me any advice on what to do with regards to the new job? I don't know whether to ride it out and see what happens, or be honest with them now and potentially risk losing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

D x

Hello there.

The employment guys should be along later, but in your position, I think I'd attend the meeting and try to show any mitigation for what you did.

As you say, any reference will show that you were under investigation, even if the investigation wasn't completed.

I hope the guys will have some suggestions for you.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi HB

Many thanks for your reply. I think I will attend this meeting purely to find out what they have to say about it. The only thing I really care about coming out of it is my reference, so at least it will show willing and I will have the chance to justify my actions.

D x

Also, I don't suppose anyone would know whether or not they can effectively 'dismiss' me if I have already resigned? How would my employment be terminated if this is the case?

Even if not they can still make comment on any reference. Hoping your new job is in a different line of work?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Even if not they can still make comment on any reference. Hoping your new job is in a different line of work?

Hi Emmzzi, no my new job is in a completely different line of work which is my only saving grace, although requiring a CRB check my criminal record is squeaky clean.

They may just see it as "fell for the wrong person, fixed it as quick as she could" then. Fingers crossed!

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

It's a shame you admitted it. Had you denied it, I believe that had you gone to your Union rep, they may have been able to stall for time for them to look into it and build up your defence. That way you may have

been able to avoid any decision being made within the two weeks you have left. So it is possible you could have left without that being added to any references or indeed your work record.

As you have admitted it, you could be dismissed under Gross Misconduct. If you do have a Union , I think it best that you speak to them urgently to see if you can avoid dismissal. I imagine that your new

company would already have taken up references if they have given you the job.

It's a shame you admitted it. Had you denied it, I believe that had you gone to your Union rep, they may have been able to stall for time for them to look into it and build up your defence. That way you may have

been able to avoid any decision being made within the two weeks you have left. So it is possible you could have left without that being added to any references or indeed your work record.

As you have admitted it, you could be dismissed under Gross Misconduct. If you do have a Union , I think it best that you speak to them urgently to see if you can avoid dismissal. I imagine that your new

company would already have taken up references if they have given you the job.

Luckily my company have agreed to terminate my employment with no further action, based on the fact I have already worked my notice period. Phew!

phew indeed!

if there is a next time - relationship on hold until you have the new job - not worth the stress!!! I hope this one works out for you though

xxx

I'd give them a 2 minute phone call in a couple of weeks just to thank them (make sure you speak to someone who will be involved in a reference in the future) it will leave them with a positive thought of you instead of negative

ring, just say thank you, don't get into anything else, end call