man cuts his neck in job centre due to bedroom tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3885 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People like that have underlying issues and use something else as an excuse.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

A lot of people will use any excuse to try and get help. Seriously. There has to be something wrong for someone to try and kill themselves in public like that over the tax.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

this is the second publicised incident due to the bedroom tax and how its effecting people.

it is effecting people in a serious way and also having a detrimental effect on peoples lives as per the very sad news about the lads who took her own life a few months back weather its in a private place or a public place the effect its having on people is very serious

i dont think its an excuse for people tying to get help i just think poeple have had enough due to the government not listening and its a sad thing to hear about

Because the best way to voice your discontent is to kill yourself right? That wont achieve anything at all. Especially not your goal of getting the government to listen. The tax was brought in to make the governments friends ( landlords/property developers) richer. They couldn't care less about some random bottom of the ladder member of society trying to kill themselves.

I hate the current government and it's policies with a passion, but i stand by my initial post. It is a very sad case that someone has done this, but as the article says, there is more to this than is being told.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Only that guy and probably the police know exactly what was going on.

'He was upset about the bedroom tax and wasn't getting through and he started to cut his throat on both sides and threw the knife on the floor and he had blood coming from his neck.

'There was a lot of blood but it hadn't come out of his artery, he wasn't gushing out blood.

'He went through the side of his neck from his ear to the front.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2379984/Bedroom-tax-Man-slits-throat-benefits-advice-office-protest.html#ixzz2aLOEfqoW

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

He cut, but not deeply.

this is a non story

If you say so...

Edited by sadone

i never said i agreed with what the man did i simply stated that its having a serious effect on peoples lives and i dont think that its an excuse to try and get help either

I agree.

I think it's worrying that people always seem to imply that it's not an issue what is going on at the moment to others because they 'obviously have other issues'

Is it not possible that having no money to pay to live under a roof & buy food is enough of an issue to stop someone thinking rationally & do something like this? There's no psychological rule that says more than one thing needs to be going on to tip someone over the edge. And I speak from experience (long time ago I hasten to add)

Don't know about anyone else but I get really cranky if I am hungry. Long term along with the dread of losing your roof over your head as well...I wonder what effect that has on someone & I can quite imagine it being the only issue to tip someone over the edge. But it's easier to put it down to other issues as well that must be more important, so that's what will always happen. Which is why no matter how many times it does happen now, it will make absolutely no difference.

I think it's worrying that people always seem to imply that it's not an issue what is going on at the moment to others because they 'obviously have other issues'

Is it not possible that having no money to pay to live under a roof & buy food is enough of an issue to stop someone thinking rationally & do something like this? There's no psychological rule that says more than one thing needs to be going on to tip someone over the edge.

Well said.

I find it quite bizarre that when a Tibetan monk decides to immolate himself it's regarded as a serious protest. But when someone self harms under the circumstances described above, the collective opinion of the press and government is that there must be underlying mental issues unrelated to welfare reform that triggered the action.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

There seems to be a distinct lack of understanding of mental health problems from a few.

I was working full time at a point when my mental health was deteriorating. I even had a suicide plan and the tools to carry it out. At this point just getting a call from my husband that our drains were blocked caused me to lose the plot and nearly put my plan into action.

The reality is that the government cuts are affecting some very vulnerable people. some of these people, before the cuts, only had £20-£30 available to pay for food, fares, clothes, etc after they paid essential bills, and then they are told that they have to pay £5 a week council tax and £14 - £25 a week bedroom tax. What are they supposed to buy food with? They may have been trying really hard to get a job, but with so many applicants, someone with health problems, be they physical, mental or both, are not going to be making it onto the shortlist.

So yeah, I can believe that when told that there is nothing they can do, no help they can get, they've exhausted their number of allowable visits to the local food bank that some may want to take their life, and may want to do it in a way to ensure people know why they're dying. You don't cut your neck just to make a point - the risk of hitting a major blood vessel is just too high - and he did it twice.

Having been in a situation of feeling ' I can't deal with life anymore', I can well understand that the pressures of the benefit cuts would get a vulnerable person to that point.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

A lot of people will use any excuse to try and get help. Seriously. There has to be something wrong for someone to try and kill themselves in public like that over the tax.[/quote

Some people rather than a lot of people may have been more thoughtful in my opinion..

I've just spent three weeks on a mental health unit after a psychotic episode, which I cant remember and was not too dissimilar to this.

Seems Im getting worse and now another esa 50 lands on my door mat. Oh happy days!

A lot of people will use any excuse to try and get help. Seriously. There has to be something wrong for someone to try and kill themselves in public like that over the tax.[/quote

Some people rather than a lot of people may have been more thoughtful in my opinion..

I was generalising.

I've just spent three weeks on a mental health unit after a psychotic episode, which I cant remember and was not too dissimilar to this.

Seems Im getting worse and now another esa 50 lands on my door mat. Oh happy days!

I've also done the walk. Society is such now that these sort of incidents could be on the increase..

Not helpful!

Isn't it enough that this was a guy pushed to self harm due to government cuts - and the only reason we know about this one is that it was in a public place - how many do not make the papers?

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop