style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3920 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

As i moved here back in 2000 from the Netherlands, I have a clear and well distinguished record of serving the 'landmacht' (which is the army in NL), I've tried to join the Air Force here in UK but was turned down due to my Dutch nationality.

I initially joined the LM (army) to get a gateway to the airforce but I can't use it here. Are there any pointers you guys can give me?

My police and criminal record is squeaky clean, the Netherlands remains a neutral country so doesn't interfere with UK's affairs and I'm as fit as a fiddle as I still wake up at 5 AM and gym daily. On some occasions, tke days off of work to go down the gym for a second bout :)

Can someone advise me as to how I can approach this?

Cheers,

Adriaan :)

*edit* just to add, I've got 1500 hours on a pilot license which I've scrounged and paid for as much as i could...

You need to be a British citizen, and resident for 5 years in order to join (there are exceptions for Commonwealth applicants, but they have to have been resident in UK for 5 years). You would have to give up your Dutch nationality and apply for British citizenship, but whether the time you've already spent living in UK would count, or whether you'd have to have 5 years from the date of British citizenship you would have to confirm with the Armed Forces Careers Office.

How old are you? There are upper age limits for all RAF jobs.

the Netherlands remains a neutral country

Isn't the NL part of the NATO? In which case it's not neutral.

Edited by san_d

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Not sure OP would have to give up Dutch nationality? No restriction on the UK side, but Dutch may not allow it!

Citizenship takes about 4 months, as they check everything.

He wouldn't be able to join unless he is a British citizen; I suppose dual nationality is a possibility.

I just found out I can :) the RAF just called me and confirmed that because I've been here for over 10 years, as a citizen I can joint, but because of my nationality I can only apply for a few jobs. I'm disappointed as NL is part of a peace keeping treaty and remains neutral. Ah well, application went in! Wish me luck! :)