Distance to work / time to travel

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3927 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of help.

My employer has asked me to work one day a week from a different site that I usually work at. The site is 200 miles from my home and takes approx 5 hours to reach (based on traffic for the time I need to get there) and 5 hours back home obviously. Once on site I need to work about 5 hours.

This is scheduled to occur for 16 weeks. My contract states that I am required to travel to other sites from time to time. I am compensated for travelling there in my own vehicle (fuel costs, about 30p per mile).

I say this is too much on one day. My employer has suggested I could travel to site the evening before to save too much driving, I say this affects my non-work commitments every week.

I personally believe:

- 10 hours travelling for 5 hours work is excessive

- it could be a contravention of my contractual terms (it isn't time to time, it's 4 months)

- My personal time would be affected and I have obligations to meet outside work that this would affect

Does anyone have any thoughts on this from a legal point of view?

Thanks

Edited by honeybee13

My contract states that I am required to travel to other sites from time to time. I am compensated for travelling there in my own vehicle (fuel costs, about 30p per mile).

Well, there's your legal point of view.

From a h&s point of view I'd say you need to stay over as you risk being too tired for the drive home.

It's 16 weeks, and it's in your contract, and you won't be out of pocket. Ther's not really any legal point you can use to wriggle out of it.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Well, there's your legal point of view.

From a h&s point of view I'd say you need to stay over as you risk being too tired for the drive home.

It's 16 weeks, and it's in your contract, and you won't be out of pocket. Ther's not really any legal point you can use to wriggle out of it.

Thanks.

I'm unable to stay over due to (confidential) personal obligations. These can be met without issue at my normal site but not 200 miles away.

Edited by honeybee13
Restored.

I would assume due to the referral to another forum where the query is quoted verbatim.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

16 days is not 4 months however. I think you have a choice of doing it, or explaining your confidential reasons. You can do this discretely. Eg you can say counselling without going into the detail of what for.

Can you catch a train, a 15 hour day is a long day but if its in your contract to work on other sites then its part of the package.

It also depends on the type of work you do as well, is it very physical work, mentally demanding? your employer has a duty of care, if there is a possibility of stopping over after the work then they are to a degree covering their duty towards you.

If they expect you to drive back and you are tired or fatigued then there is cause for complaint, you can request a risk assessment, do this in writing email is fine and bcc yourself, they may need to shorten your working day or put in other controls to reduce your risk of accident.

Whatever your personal commitments your life is more important.