Resignation over grievance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3056 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I have been working for a company for 6 months and it has been nearly impossible to get time off for hospital appointments for my sons epilepsy.

The first occasion i ended up using my anual leave and took a day off. I felt under pressure and was new at the time.

Now they will not allow me the time off for a second appointment. Its implied that its too busy to allow me time off.

I also have diabetes and have missed a couple of appointments due to the pressure of not taking time off.

This came to a head with me walking out as despite giving 6 weeks notice, and my sons hospital appointment a week away - i was still not advised it would be ok to go.

I returned to work and they now want to discipline me for walking out and will not budge on the parental leave incinuating I use my anual leave for such appointments.

Now I dont wish to go back there. There are other issues such as jokes about somalians getting housing in affluent areas and the MD frequently advising of his dislike of "pikees" which i find diistasteful to say the least.

I am going to send in my letter of resignatiin with the grievances as the reason.

Can they refuse to accept my resignation and do i have to goto any grievanc meeting? i just want them to pay my notice period as I can not go back there to work. It brings out anxiety in me which is uncontrollable sometimes - palpitations and tremors.

Thanks in advance for any advice

They cannot refuse to take your resignation

They can refuse to pay your notice period if you don't work it

Parental leave is for emergencies only. A pre planned appointment is not an emergency. So technically, they are correct in their application of policy.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I thought parental was for pre known events and dependants leave was for emergencies?

The irony is I could have just called in sick on day of appointment, but glad I didn't as its not a long term answer.

Its first time I have worked for such a small company though and its quite a shock in comparison.

Sorry, yes I am thinkin of dependants, however note:-

https://www.gov.uk/parental-leave/entitlement

Parental leave is unpaid. The child must be under 5 (or 18 in special circumstances).

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

They have accepted the resignation but advised I will be an employee until notice period runs out. They are fully aware I will not be returning. So I just want to be sure they wont give any adverse references about me.

Its crazy to think if there were no disabled dependants then there would have been no issue.

Thanks for the adviice