Multiple fines, warrant to be issued, I am not the owner :(

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3930 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys.

Here's my story in a nutshell.

6 months ago I sold my car. I filled in the necessary documents and thought all was ok.

A few months later I started receiving fines (9 of them in total so far totalling £1000+) for parking and bus lane contraventions in Leeds & Bradford. I live 70 miles away.

I contacted the buyer, he said it has been sold on twice since then.

I contacted the DVLA, they said I was the current owner on the system and the only way to change this was to send them a letter stating who I sold it to. I did this and received a letter back saying that it was not enough evidence and the buyer would have to write them a letter saying he had bought it from me. Now, even the most honest of people would not drop what they're doing to go and write a letter to say they are the owner of a vehicle so that they themselves can start to receive the fines.

A few days later I again contacted the DVLA and they said that the details had been changed on the system but would not confirm who was the registered owner. I presume that they had manually edited the name and address to the details of the buyer that I supplied but this was obviously not confirmed by the buyer so the information was not 'official'. The lady said that everything would be fine and Leeds & Bradford city councils would automatically be notified and the fines would be re-sent to the new registered owner.

I have just returned from a 3 week holiday to 9 letters saying that I have to pay the fines or "you're possessions may be removed and sold to pay the charges". I called the number on the letters and they said I should have kept a receipt of sale and it was my fault. As I sold it to a friend for £250 just to get it off my hands I, at the time, did not think anything like this would happen and if I did get a receipt then I don't know where it is now.

I am living with my parents so this is obviously causing distress for them too. I have recently set up my own business but most of my time seems to be spent trying to sort this mess out. I have done nothing wrong, it seems as though the DVLA have a backlog of V5's to update and not enough data inputters. I can't believe that 6 months down the line I have 9 letters threatening me with bailiff action and nobody can seem to help :(

any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Sam

When you sold it, you should have given the buyer the new keeper supplement from the log book, completed the rest and posted it off.

That means the buyer would never have had a log book for the car - so how is the car able to be sold on twice more without any registration documents? If the person you sold it to was a friend, have you asked him about this, because it doesn't add up.

When I say 'friend' I mean I know him and used to use him for any repairs and MOT's and the like. I'm not sure how he sold it on and it's not my place to ask really. If this is the only way of sorting it, what do I need to ask him?

Thank you

I'm not sure what the process is for bus lanes, but as far as parking is concerned, you can't really do anything about it. I presume you received a Notice to Owner for each one? That offers the recipient two choices: pay or make representations. You need to deal with them within 28 days, or you get lumbered with them.

Do you know who actually ran up these penalties? If so, I would try talking to them first. If they don't want to know, I am not sure there's anything you can do, if you did receive the NTOs. I presume you did, since your name and address was registered at DVLA.

Possibly get a stat dec saying you sold the car and give the buyers info.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Trouble is, you can only make stat decs on specific grounds and not being the owner isn't one of them. To deny receiving the NTOs would be perjury if he did receive them. I've never heard of anyone being charged with perjury over a false stat dec, but needless to say I wouldn't advise people to go down that route because it's against the law.

Maybe sjjs can tell us if he really did get them.

Why don't people ever read the notices they get sent?? The penalty charges would have told you to pay or appeal and should have had a list of grounds to appeal, one being 'I was not the owner at the time of the contravention'. At no point would you have been told to contact the DVLA or contact the person you sold it to??