Marstons bailiff and £200 fine for driving without insurance,

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3893 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I received a £200 fine for driving without insurance, I paid £100 off my fine before I went to Dubai to work. i honestly though that I had paid off the fine completely, however, my wife has had a bailiff from Marstons (he's an agent working on behalf of Marstons) at the door demanding £400 (£100 outstanding fine plus his charges).

He has told her that if she doesn't pay asap then I will be arrested at the airport either when I return or leave the UK. Is this correct?

My wife did try and make a payment of £100 but he refused to take any instalments as he wants the full £400.

The letter from Marstons states that a "Warrant/Order" has been issued against me and that it has been assigned to one of their enforcement agents for their information/action.

Can anyone advise me on this please as I cannot afford the full £400 now but obviousy I am now worried about being arrested at the airport!!!

With so many people being on holiday, unemployed or no longer at the warrant address it is understandable that bailiffs are struggling to make their targets.

What is not understandable is that debtors BELIEVE that they will be arrested at the airport!! Now we know why bailiffs come out with such rubbish .....

The warrant is against YOU and not your wife and if she has told the bailiff that you are working in Dubai he will NOT be willing to wait for payment !!

When you say that they are not willing to wait for payment, what do you mean?

I am back in the UK for a few weeks and have contacted Marstons to make a £100 payment but they won't accept it, both them and the bailiff have said they will not accept stage payments!!! I only owe £100 now they want £400!

The warrant issued against me I believe is to allow the bailiffs to chase me, BUT when my wife spoke to them they were adamant that I would be arrested at the airport either entering or exiting the UK. Are they just using bully boy tactics and will I be ok to travel?

There should be no problem in traveling at all.

Once the debt has been passed to a bailiff to make a personal visit it is very difficult indeed getting a payment arrangement agreed with the bailiff.

What I meant by my comment is that if your wife had advised the bailiff that you were working in Dubai the bailiff would likely be of the opinion that you could arrange to make immediate payment given that you are working in a country where salaries are high and are tax fee.

Rule 1. Bailiffs lie.

Rule 2. See rule 1

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

There should be no problem in traveling at all.

Once the debt has been passed to a bailiff to make a personal visit it is very difficult indeed getting a payment arrangement agreed with the bailiff.

What I meant by my comment is that if your wife had advised the bailiff that you were working in Dubai the bailiff would likely be of the opinion that you could arrange to make immediate payment given that you are working in a country where salaries are high and are tax fee.

Hi

I have only recently started my job in Dubai and to be honest the salary is quite low in fact it just about covers our living expenses, but I do have the potential to earn decent commissions in about 6 months time!

Can they stop me getting back to Dubai to go back to work? They said that they had put the wheels in motion so I get red flagged at the airport and arrested, is this just another massive lie?

Will they arrest you in Asdas as well ? If you have a hundred pounds to spare make a payment at

your nearest magistrates court. I assume that will be the fine paid off minus the bailiffs extortion

money . They have to go back to court first to get another warrant first before you can be arrested .

Hats off to the bailiffs this is a new one on me , scare tactics ,hoping your wife would run to a relative or

a pay day lender to get the money.

You are fine travelling. However, you should pay the fine ASAP. The extra £300 comprises £85 Admin Fee and £215 Attendance to Remove. Some sites advise you do not need to pay this, but I believe the advice here (with which I agree fully) is that the extra £300 should be paid. The £300 is a fee agreed between the bailiff company and HM Courts, however, the right to collect it comes, I think from the Magistrates' Court Act 1980.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Once the fine is paid then the distress warrant that the gives the bailiffs the power to jerk your chain is rescinded. Then they will be acting as normal debt collectors . So they could still try and collect their

fees . Get down to the court or pay the fine over the phone asap for your peace of mind. Their fees

I wouldn 't bother paying but thats down to you .

I would disagree about the fees. They are certainly an area of contention, especially on one particular site well known to members here. At the end of the day, it has to be your decision though.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Sorry folks, i didn't want to cause any issues, I just wondered what I was missing?

Are you allowed to send me a link via an email or private message? But please don't if it will cause any issues with CAG as this site is awesome.

Thanks

Believe you me, I wouldn't get more people into hassle by giving it free advertising. :-)

You are fine travelling. However, you should pay the fine ASAP. The extra £300 comprises £85 Admin Fee and £215 Attendance to Remove. Some sites advise you do not need to pay this, but I believe the advice here (with which I agree fully) is that the extra £300 should be paid. The £300 is a fee agreed between the bailiff company and HM Courts, however, the right to collect it comes, I think from the Magistrates' Court Act 1980.

Where did you get this information from?

Its £400.!

Where did you get this information from?

Its £400.!

Original fine = £200

OC paid £100 leaving balance of £100

Bailiff demanding £400

Bailiff fees therefore must be £300

That's how I got it. :-)

It is common knowledge. Ask Tomtubby.

I've seen literally hundreds of cases now where there is an £85 admin fee and a £215 Attendance fee. I would be surprised if these had not appeared on CAG.

Hi

I have managed to get through to the magistrates court that issued the fine and I was put through to the collections team (which I presume is the bailiff department?). A distress warrant has been issued against me and therefore the outstanding fine has been passed to Marstons to collect.

The court would not accept the final £100 of my fine and said that I will have to contact Marstons to make the payment. However, Marstons will not take anything less than the £400. (this includes their £300 charges)

My ex-wife has received a letter from Marstons telling her that they will visit her property (my last address) to remove goods. However, these are not my goods as I signed everything over to my wife when we seperated. Where does she stand and how do I go about making a payment to them?

Are they entitled to refuse part payments and just bully their way into my ex-wifes house using a locksmith etc.

See if you can pay the £100 online ( https://www.gov.uk/pay-court-fine-online#before-you-start )

Your ex-wife should get a statutory declaration done at her local magistrates court that you do not live at the address and there is no property at the address belonging to you. Then send a copy to bailiffs.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread