style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3925 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi need advice i started employment as a housekeeper in may..never having worked in the industry..was given a 4 hour shift as a trial..and offered the position..full time..loved the job and head housekeeper said my work was fine..over the last month,i was informed it was casual work..and only allowed a break when not busy...well i have been working 7 hours shifts flat out and was told a break was not allowed..during the heatwave..i got ill carried on working..and reprimanded for getting a drink..i asked for my contract what it said..and was told i dont need one.. well today was the last straw...in was instructed by head housekeeper that 2 rooms were needed at 12.15 at 11.30 was told i had to do both..i felt this unfair as we are given 45 min per room..i got told i was too slow..and had no time to drink... i was also informed by a collegue at the hotel my job was on the line..and have felt constantly picked on..i do my work and even stay late over my shift to help out....well today after being ill and not allowed to drink..i came home..this has been going on for weeks...i was given no training,health and safety lessons, had no idea where fire escapes were...i worked this out for myself...was told off about my clothes...UNIFORM not provided... can someone help me if i can do anything...

If you complain are they likely to sack you? Sounds like it.... might get another job first then report them? (I am assuming there is no union from the sounds of it)

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I have a similar problem where I work, the difference is I have been there long enough to not get sacked, trust me they are trying.

Make a note of every issue (I bought a page per day diary for mine) they have a duty of care towards you, you should be given manual handling training (assuming you make beds etc), you should have COSHH (training using cleaning chemicals), you must be briefed on evacuation procedures and routes, this can all be done on your induction training bust must be done and documented.

You are entitled to be allowed drinks (cold drinks i.e. water must be available and facilities for making hot drinks) under their duty of care and must have at least a 30 minute break in 6 hours and a further 15 in the following 3 hours for working time directive.

If you are given 2 rooms to do in the time it takes to do 1 spend 20 minutes in each, do the best you can but if that is the time you are given then that is the time you can spend. (make a note in your book.

You do not need a contract as a contract can be assumed as soon as you commence employment however you must receive document of particulars of employment within 30 days.

There are many laws they appear to be breaking, collect a dossier of all the issues, times, dates, places and conversations, this may give you some bargaining power as you can report them for many things.

Be aware that they can sack you for having uneven eyebrows if you haven't worked there for 2 years, my place hate me because I am qualified in health and safety and our company/depot despite being massive do not like health and safety, but I play by their rules and/or the law, I document everything and always cover my back.

Be careful from what you say its not a great place to work but it pays some of the bills, you do have laws to protect you but if determined they can get rid of you.

Actually the employer has more rights than the employee. If you have been employed less than 2 years ( the OP begin since may) then the employer can dismiss them for any reason they see fit as long as it isnt discriminatory.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Stand up to them don't let them push you around you have rights and you are not a slave

How's that going to work in practical terms then? You starting a revolution? Or paying OPs rent?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

People have to stand up there selves it works for me.

Once again - how is that going to work in practical terms? Saying "I'm great at it!" is less than helpful to the person with the problem. Suggestions and examples might be better!

You cant stand up for yourself when you have no rights. Blame the government.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

If they talk to me like I am s..t on their shoe, they get it back just thesame, they so learn to treat you with respect, and you are human.

And once you have done that you will find yourself at the nearest jobcentre. Its obvious you dont have much experience in employment as you would realise that they could dismiss/discipline you for what you say or do.

Well so be it find another job werethey treat you with respect

world full of job vacancies round your way then?

It isn't by me, so this would be, oh, the worst advice ever for people with bills to pay!

i appreciate all your help...i have never been trained at any of those you mentioned..not been given a contract...i did try to stand up for myself today...but just got told to walk if i dont like it..i carried on..but the heat was too much..and went to get a drink...the head housekeeper was angry i did this..and told me to just get my rooms done...she has been the main problem...bullying..and telling me my job is at risk..she was doing rooms that were not needed..when should have got the rooms ready with me for the guests...i did try to tell her..but wouldnt listen....i have sent a letter in to the manager of hotel stating reasons i walked out..and will be seeking constructive dismissal...

To effectively make a dismissal claim you need to have allowed the employer to try and rectify the position through internal channels. This would be a formal grievance, not a "reasons I left" letter. I think you may have shot yourself in the foot there, sorry.

ok..well the letter not been sent yet...i honestly couldnt take it anymore today..i was getting dehydrated after 6 hours without a break...and just getting a drink made her angry...so i just walked out...xxxx maybe this was stupid...but i think i just snapped..

call boss first thing and ask to have a discussion meeting.