style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3929 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi , new to this site but in need of advice please

I am in arrears with this years council tax ( paid nil to date so 4 months ) and stupidly ignoring court liability notice

( I genuinely forgot to contact my local council )

last week I was told by council they will not deal with me direct but have now passed me onto rossendales

and I have to talk to a bailiff who will contact me ,

I am literally pooing my pants at the thought of this happening :((

I have sent my council numerous emails offering to pay £ 300 at my local council office immediately

then a further £200 on the 24th of july ( this will more than bring my yearly tax upto date )

and the set up a plan to continue remainder of the yearly tax as normal but they wont accept this ,

they say payment in full is needed ???

I cannot possible pay over £1200 immediately as of most of working class people this is not even a consideration ,

I feel my offer of paying a total of £500 by the 24th of this month is more than reasonable but seems not ..............

........ what can I do ??

im dreading the knock at my door when a bailiff visits

please help me

pay the council direct by YOOUR internet banking portal

or

their automated payment line

DO NOT TALK TO OR PAY THE BAILIFF.

if/when he calls

simply explain you are/hae already paid the council ...end of problem.

bailiffs have no real powers of anything

certainly not forced entry etc in regard to CTAX

no matter what the little mite might say.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi , thanks for your reply

The other problem is my council don't accept visa electron cards :(

Can they refuse to take my cash payment in the local council offices ??

do it by your internet banking webportal

the info is on the reverse of your ctax bill

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Also , I can only afford to pay £500 maximum on the 24th of this month and not the full yearly balance of over £1200 as stated by the council in response to my offer of payments

if you have a debit card I thought this gave internet banking access?

as for you payment schedule

if you bring the account upto date

there nowt that says the council will not re-instate the 10 [minus what you have pad]

monthly amounts to complete the year

dx

and they

Sorry to be a pain !!

ive already asked in numerous emails to the council if I paid £500 now which more than brings my yearly tax to date

could I then set up direct debit or payment plan covering remainder of the year .

They wouldn't accept this saying because I failed to contact them my account is now with rossendales and I can only deal with them from now

utter crap.

whose the council

not got a ctax debt run by capita have they?

dx

and they

The council is Broxtowe Borough Council

ive saved all emails sent to them plus replies .....

.... definitely state in more than 1 reply that under no circumstances if I paid £500 now ( thus bringing account upto date )

would I be able to then continue making monthly payment of £108 which is the normal amount ,

they insist I lost this right and I can only negotitate with the " first call bailiff " .....

.... whatever that means ?

Ive said to them I feel my offer of £ 500 now then the usual monthly payment of £108 is a reasonable offer

and them refusing this is more than unfair given my current financial situation ....

.... Do they really believe a working class person can suddenly stump up a full years tax (1250 pounds) in one lump sum to a bailiff ???

what does anyone suggest I should do from this point ??

shall I pay £500 cash at my local offices ?

what if they refuse this payment over the counter ?

what do I do if im home when this first call bailiff does call ???

I just feel this is so unfair especially with my large payment offer ?

If you're having trouble paying them directly by automated means,

go with your cash and see what happens when you hand it to the cashier.

If they won't accept it,

ask them to give you it in writing that they're refusing payment which then gives you ammunition for a formal complaint (let them know this).

Alternatively send a cheque and see what happens.

You'll obviously know their response sooner by going in person.

If they refuse the payment get the muppet on the counter to sign to the effect he cannot accept the payment as the account is with bailiffs,

that will kill the council's pig for them in a Formal complaint, as

it is unlawful for them to refuse a tendered payment,

and flies in the face of the guidance from Eric pickles that reminds councils that they control the account at all times and can recall from bailiffs whenever they wish.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

@ outlawla

You just beat me to it...:wink:

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

So you suggest I turn up at my local council office with £500 cash and if they don't accept it ask for it in writing ? what if they also refuse this ?? it just seems to me like they want me to go through the bailiff and brushed me aside

also , are they allowed once my yearly account is to date to refuse me to make the usual monthly payment through the rest of the tax year ?? or can they still insist on full years payment only even though I will never be able to afford this amount

There is no law that says you have to speak to or deal with a Bailiff.

For Council Tax providing you deny him access to your home or prevent him levying on goods outside

- a car perhaps -

then the most you can incur in charges is £42.50.

Just remember Bailiffs lie.

If you make your payment direct to the Council it is better to do so on a weekly basis so a payment history can be established.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So you suggest I turn up at my local council office with £500 cash and if they don't accept it ask for it in writing ? what if they also refuse this ?? it just seems to me like they want me to go through the bailiff and brushed me aside Legally they are not allowed to refuse.

also , are they allowed once my yearly account is to date to refuse me to make the usual monthly payment through the rest of the tax year ?? or can they still insist on full years payment only even though I will never be able to afford this amount - That is what the law states

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ask for it in writing and complain to your local councillor if they refuse to take your cash..

Do not open the door to the bailiff and certainly DO NOT LET THEM IN TO YOUR PROPERTY under any circumstances.Lock anything in the garden out of sight so the bailiff cannot levy on it.

Move your car well away from the house so they cannot clamp it. You do not have to deal with or even talk to the bailiff-so don't. Deal with the Council and in writing only.

That way the bailiff is totally powerless and can do nothing to you. Yes they will threaten to call the Police or a locksmith to break in. They cannot do that without a Court Order and that will not be granted if you start paying the Council..

Hi all !!! so sorry to keep asking but .................

just tried making a payment online using that link but refusing payment of £500 , keeps saying input correct amount ???????????????????????????

This is so unfair

Suggestion.

Try paying with several transactions (exact instalment amount). The council tax computer software may be set-up to only take payment if the exact amount is entered.

Worth a try.

I agree with that unless of course their system is set only to receive the full amount, if it is then I think the Council could be leaving themselves open to a maladministration charge as they are then refusing payments.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have once again emailed the council stating when and how much I will be paying in cash at my local offices and if they refuse this then I will need reasons why in writing immediately , however , they are legally not allowed to refuse this payment ( £500 is a hell of a lot of cash to me )

I also said im under no obligation to deal with a bailiff and I shall not be doing so

Good Morning all

Any further advice for my situation most welcome , does anyone know that if I pay a lump sum i.e £500 in cash then I am able to spread the remaining balance of approx. £700 over duration of the tax year like a normal payment plan would OR can the council/balliff still insist on FULL payment ?? I don't know what I can do if the latter is going to happen , I just don't have the funds to pay over £1200 in a one off payment so soon ...........

Pay what you can get to the council no matter what they say. If bailiffs come calling, ignore them and dont let them in. Keep all cars a good 10 min walk away too. This stops them performing a levy. All they can do then is stamp their feet and hand the LO back to the council/court. You will then be summonsed and can show a full financial plan to get payments sorted.

The bailiffs will of course lie and threaten you but stay strong as its all empty threats unless they are able to perform a levy.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D