JD Williams SimplyBe Debt and Reliable Collections

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3722 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have dealing with Reliable collections re a JD Williams Debt,

which I am paying a sum of money every month ( the most I can afford.)

They have sent the usual threatagrams including the one that told me they would contact me at my home,

I have sent them the template letters which included a requirement that they only contact me by letter.

They have rang several times and as soon as I see the number and hear the automated voice I hang up

Today I have received a letter that said they have undertaken investigations to trace my whereabouts

and local sources have confirmed that you are still resident

well since I have replied to every letter they have sent to my address

and have included my address in the reply I am not actually hiding my whereabouts

so I don't really understand that part.

Also the local sources part,

are they trying to intimidate me by suggesting they have put a PI onto me or spoken to my neighbours,

or could the local sources mean that they have checked the electoral roll, and/or checked the land registry.

Is there a template letter I can use to answer this if not can someone give me any suggestions

Thank you

It's a phishing letter. They hope you fall for it and respond. Remember, they havent shown any proof that they know you are there, and you havent confirmed anything. Local sources means the crap they decide to regurgitate from their collective braincell.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

They would have used the Land Registry, telephone directory and electoral roll.

You can if you wish send a copy of that letter to the OFT. It is very intimidatory !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Reliable are liable to make claims that are laughable:madgrin::jaw:

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

go get all the statements by an SAR

bet you've heeps of £12 PENALTTY fees

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

You say you have been making payments. So presumably they had your address anyway ?

When you say usual threatogram what exactly does it say, does it acknowledge your payments ?

Edited by Dodgeball

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Hi

You say you have been making payments. So presumably they had your address anyway ?

When you say usual threatogram what exactly does it say, does it acknowledge your payments ?

No it doesn't

they wont acknowledge that I can only pay a token gesture

even though I know they have taken off the payments for the accounts.

Mods why did you take this thread from the debt collecters section,

as I have no trouble with the catalogues I need advice on how to deal with Reliable collections

please can you put it back in the debt collectors section

can we go back to basics here on the debt info please

and tick a few boxes.

is this debt on your cra file?

when did you start the JDW account?

what is the default date on the cra file?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Catalog credit account are generally unenforceable, which gives you a pretty good bargaining position, if that is what this is.

If you are happy to maintain the token payments have you tried e-mailing them and seeing if they will acknowledge your payment arrangement and suspend collection activities ?

Dodge

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Possibly - I do owe the money but lost my job,

my husband is only working 12 hours a week so we dont have money

I contacted step change and filled in a budget form which I sent to Reliable with the offer of £1.00 per month payment

( owe £450) which I have been paying every month since march and they have been taken this of my account.

I have had a few letter which I have answered including the one that told me they were going to contact me on a Wednesday

between 6pm and 8pm and

sent the template letter about me not giving permission for any one to call

and including the sentence that I will not deal with them over the phone and all contact is to be in writing.

They have rang me several times since they had the letter but as soon as I see the number and hear the automated voice I hang up.

The letter about them investigating my whereabouts

and local sources confirming I still live at my address was the first letter

i got after telling them to take a hike about any doorstep visits (which I know they cant do)

is this letter part of a known sequence of letters that I am going to get from RC

and is there a tried and tested letter that I can send to them as a response.

Or shall I just ignore it and continue to send my £1.00 per month

I dont dispute the money owed and will look at paying it back when I get a job

I dont want to email them as I know they will inundate me with emails

its a std chain of letters.

pers I wouldn't worry about them

its JDW themselves anyhow [in-house DCA]

have you looked at your CRA file?

dx

and they

Possibly - I do owe the money but lost my job, my husband is only working 12 hours a week so we dont have money

I contacted step change and filled in a budget form which I sent to Reliable with the offer of £1.00 per month payment ( owe £450) which I have been paying every month since march and they have been taken this of my account.

I have had a few letter which I have answered including the one that told me they were going to contact me on a Wednesday between 6pm and 8pm and sent the template letter about me not giving permission for any one to call and including the sentence that I will not deal with them over the phone and all contact is to be in writing.

They have rang me several times since they had the letter but as soon as I see the number and hear the automated voice I hang up.

The letter about them investigating my whereabouts and local sources confirming I still live at my address was the first letter i got after telling them to take a hike about any doorstep visits (which I know they cant do)

So I suppose I need to know, is this letter part of a known sequence of letters that I am going to get from RC and is there a tried and tested letter that I can send to them as a response.

Or shall I just ignore it and continue to send my £1.00 per month

I dont dispute the money owed and will look at paying it back when I get a job

I dont want to email them as I know they will inundate me with emails

Sounds to me like you have done everything that could be expected of you, they are being an arse to put it plainly.

You could ignore or you could e-mail them, there is a contact email address on their web page. say just what you have said here and ask them to cease any further collection activity, tell them that if they don''t you will complain to the regulator.

Dodge

The best step forward is to make a request CCA to the debt collection company to see if they have a copy of the agreement and to check if it is enforceable, it would be more than foolish to assume that most Catalogue debts are unenforceable this is simply not true.

Reliable Collections are part of the ''Catalogue Empire'' anyway.

The CCA request fortunately cost only £1 and the postage, get free proof of posting.

There is a template in the CAG library for you to use address the request to the Compliance Manager.

As to the ''doorstep'' visit threat these people have no legal authority to do anything, you DO NOT have to discuss anything AT ALL with them nor are you obliged to answer their security questions.

So in the same envelope as the CCA request (to save postage) include this.

To The Compliance Manager

Reliable Collections:

Date...........:

Ref:.............:

Sir/Madam,

I refer to recent letters threatening 'doorstep' visits from an agent of Reliable Collections regarding an alleged debt for £xxx. xx

which is currently the subject of a CCA Request made under sections 77/78 of CCA 1974 (as amended).

TAKE NOTE I WILL NOT DISCUSS ANY FINANCIAL MATTERS WITH ANY AGENT?REPRESENTATIVE OR EMPLOYEE OF RELIABLE COLLECTIONS.

Please be aware that should any such visit be made the ''visitor'' will be INVITED to leave the premises, failure to do so will result in that persons removal and or police intervention.

All permissions implied or explicit to attend my property are withdrawn.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

I think I said that catalog debts are GENERALLY unenforceableable, which they are because they do not fall into a group of credit defined by the act, and many courts do not enforce the agreement, that is if this is in fact a credit agreement at all.

Of course you do not have to do anything however you imply that you are unhappy with the repeated calls and harassment, this is unlikely to stop in the near future unless you do something.

As for the aggressive language an the threats ,this is up to you personally i would prefer to keep the communication business like, a simple statement that you remove the implied right of access in the template letter will surfice

Dodge

There by hangs a tail, sometimes they say they are when it suits them and sometimes they protest that they are not.

The problem is that the account is usually made up of a mixture of different bargains, some interest free some on conventional credit, so it is more accurate to say that the individual "credit sales" are fixed sum credit agreements, and as such should be individually negotiated with all the required pre contractual information and signatures, otherwise the whole account is running credit but with variable interest on individual sales, you see the problem.

Not that the supplying of goods without interest is not credit, but it is on a different basis than the other items under the same agreement.

I have lots of info on this which I can dig out including a very interesting court case if you are interested.

To say the catalogue accounts do not fall into any form or credit as defined in CCA 1974 (as amended) is clearly totally wrong.

All these revolving credit accounts have properly set out Ts &Cs, credit limits and terms of payment and are clearly stated to be Credit Agreements Regulated under CCA 1974, do not sign unless you want to be bound by these conditions.

This sounds like the of the FOTL rabble.

Again the obsession with case law, without consideration of its actual relevance to any particular case.

Sequenci is correct.

To say the catalogue accounts do not fall into any form or credit as defined in CCA 1974 (as amended) is clearly totally wrong.

All these revolving credit accounts have properly set out Ts &Cs, credit limits and terms of payment and are clearly stated to be Credit Agreements Regulated under CCA 1974, do not sign unless you want to be bound by these conditions.

This sounds like the of the FOTL rabble.

Again the obsession with case law, without consideration of its actual relevance to any particular case.

Sequenci is correct.

I thought I was having an intelligent conversation with Sequency you are welcome to join in , if you have something intelligent to say.

Sequency :)

The problem arises when a credit agreement or a person commences as an agent for the company is signed, they then start to purchase goods "credit free", then they will buy something on extended credit which may have an APR of 29%, does the original agreement cover the terms and conditions of this fixed term fixed sum loan, many catalogs make customers sign separate agreements either electronically or otherwise for these sales , in the earlier days they did not.

This opens a whole can of worms regarding the contractual requirements under the act as well as the section 61 issues. It is a minefield.

Absolutely nothing to do with freeman of the land , I have no idea where that came from LOL

I have lots of info on this which I can dig out including a very interesting court case if you are interested.

That would be interesting, and I see where you're coming from as some catalogue firms will put together different terms - or a separate agreement for bigger items such as electrical item.

I guess a catalogue would also fall under s11 - Restricted-use credit too.

A real minefield, no doubt.

• 2 months later...

I have a debt of £596 with Simply B and their in house debt collection agency are on my case.

I have been paying it off at £10.00 per month which is all I can afford,

I have been upfront with them and have given them a break down of my household budget

( as advised by step change) they have been refusing this and want me to pay £50 a month

which I cant afford.

I set up a standing order this month starting on 4th October to pay £10.00 on the 4th of every month,

I wrote and told them this

Today they sent me an email saying

NOTIFICATION OF AN AGREED PAYMENT PLAN

Thank you for discussing your financial situation with us. This e-mail sets out the Payment Plan we discussed.

It's very important that you stick to this plan as it will help you get your account back up to date.

We'll review your account again in 6 months and if we need to make any changes to your plan we will inform you.

And then goes on to say that my first payment of £50 is due on 21st October than a list of other due dates for £50

This is not what I discussed with them at all.

I emailed them back and told them but the email came back as it was sent from a NO REPLY email at their end,

therefore they are denying me the chance to challenge the so called agreed payment plan.

I am going to write to them enclosing a copy of their email and my letter stating that I have set up a payment of £10.00

by standing order.

However I would like to know if they are breaking any laws by sending me an email

I cant reply to and potentially denying me the chance to challenge or question their payment plan

by the same means that they sent it to me.

Also is it better to allow them to keep sending emails to me and file for future reference along

with any letters I send them in reply to those emails.

Or is it better to block any emails from them so they have to write to me

Easy. Tell them what you have said here. Catalogue companies are all the same. So long as you have proof of what you send and your Financial situation, there is NOTHING they can do.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

typical response

don't worry about the emails.

have you looked for £12 PENALTY fees all over the place.

late/letter/debt management etc etc.

TELL [dont ask] them they are only going to get £xxPCM for xx mts

as a goodwill gesture

and as a reciprocal GOGW they must freeze int & refrain from levying PENALTY charges.

if they wont

drop them to £1PCM for life.

as an example>

LETTER 1

I am currently in financial difficulties and not able to meet my normal monthly repayments.

to show my goodwill, i am going to pay £5 for 6 mts.

i will update you in 6mts time or before, should my situation change.

could you please as a reciprocal goodwill guesture,

refrain from levying any penalty charges & freeze the interest on my account.?

Should you fail to assist me during a period of financial difficulty, contrary to all the guidelines and codes

issued by the relevent bodies and authorities that govern you and the way you conduct yourselves.

i shall have no alternative but to reduce my offer to £1PCM for the rest of the life of the account,

as your actions would do nothing to help me.

i thank you for your time.

signed

then pay by your internet banking site

and get reclaiming

TAKE CONTROL

if you have sent the above and they refuse

then write back........

.LETTER 2

i'm sorry, but you have failed to assist me during a period of financial difficulty,

against all the guidelines and codes issued by the relevent bodies and authorities

that govern you and the way you conduct yourselves.

i repeat again, the contents of my letter dated dd/mm/yyyy, for want of clarification:

to show my goodwill, i am going to pay £XX for XX mts

could you please as a reciprocal goodwill guesture, refraining from levying any penalty charges

& freeze the interest on my account.

i will update you in 6mts time or before, should my situation chance.

should you fail to help by refraining from levying unlawful PENALTY charges & freeze my interest,

i shall have no alternative but to reduce my offer to £1PCM for the rest of the life of the account,

as your actions are doing nothing to help me.

This is contrary to the rules you should operate under.

disgruntled account holder

dx

and they