• Tweets

• Well if you have got crime reference number that's a good start. You should be recording your calls and you should not rely on calls which are apparently recorded by others – especially not the police who will always be very reluctant to disclose any information even under a statutory request. When you are on the phone to anybody you should make sure that if there is something you are not clear about you should ask them to repeat it so that you can make notes. Read our customer services guide. The police are correct – as I have already pointed out – the car belongs to you and so if it is sold to somebody else then it is stolen. If it is not given to you then it is stolen. You should always in all your dealings with anybody refer to the fact that your car has been stolen.
    • Incidentally, a brief word – for you, but also for anyone else who visits this thread. It's a word about insurance. By requiring you to take out insurance, they are effectively asking you to protect yourself against their own negligence, their own breach of contract or the criminality of their own employees if stuff get stolen. This is extraordinary and it is part of the culture of the removal business and I have no idea how this culture came about and it is now accepted so meekly as the natural way of things by people who use removal services. There is exactly the same culture in courier services so that companies such as DPD, DHL, UPS – and particularly Hermes require their customers to pay for additional protection in case the service that they have already contracted for and paid for is not carried out. Amazing! It doesn't stop there. Extended warranties. If you go into any Currys PC World, if you buy any computer or washing machine or fridge from them or anywhere else, some salesman will chase after you and ask you if you want to buy an extended warranty. So for extra money you can buy an insurance which will apparently cover you in case the item you have bought breaks down within a certain amount of time – normally three years or five years. Incredible! You already have perfectly good statutory rights which will cover you for most of those situations over the foreseeable reason the expected life of the item you buy. What they are all doing – whether they are removals, couriers, sellers of white goods and electronic goods, is effectively getting you to pay for rights which you already have under statute or under ordinary contract law.  
    • Thanks. How much did you pay for the insurance? AnyVan is declining responsibility because they say that the items did not go missing "in transit". They are wrong. Clearly the removal company took charge of the items and disassembled them. This must be the case because you have received part of the item and it is only part of the item which is missing and that means that they were already under the control of the removal company. In my view that puts the items squarely "in transit". I am quite certain that no judge would simply say that "in transit" refers only to the time that your items are in a removal van. This is far too limited. And in fact I notice that in the summary of terms which you have linked us to:     Clearly insurance cover applies from the moment that the collection begins right until the delivery is finished. However, even if they accepted this point, there are still other ways that they can say that the insurance does not apply to you Looking at the policy which you have linked us to, I see that first of all there is in excess of £50 and that means you have to pay the first £50 of any claim. According to you, you have only lost about £35. Are you saying that the entire book case is worth £20? It seems very little to me. The second thing is that they say that lost items are not insured unless they are listed with their value. Presumably that hasn't happened in your case. On that basis, it seems to me that the insurance doesn't cover you anyway. I do agree that I think you've been treated disgracefully and I don't think that the lack of insurance is any bar to making a claim. If you would like a bit of fun, then we can help you make a small claim in the County Court to recover all of your losses directly from them for their breach of contract/negligence. Of course they won't be used to that kind of treatment – but do you really care? The chances of succeeding if you are prepared to go to the Small Claims Court are better than 90%, in my view. You would have to play a claim fee that you would recover that when you won your case. Of course in the event that you lost, then you would lose that claim fee and also a hearing fee if it got that far. Frankly, for this kind of money I would imagine that they would put their hands up once you issue the papers and they realise that you are serious and it was going to cost them much more money to defend it then simply to pay you out. In addition to getting your money back and delivering a slap, you would acquire transferable skills so that you could confidently in the future sue anyone who got in your way. What's not to like?
    • You think I haven't emailed their CEO do you the first thing I did after putting my complaint in not for the first time either he totally ignorant he replied to my first email on the first case but had his assistant handle it not him   this company is the worst ever and they talked me into getting these very unsmart meters that are supposed to save me money yet because I m on PYG smart meters I pay more money than those who get monthly or quarterly bills yet I have already paid for my energy   yet there are hardly any other companies who will take on these meters and wont save me money at all for those who would give me an account but only online which is no good what so ever my problem with EON is their website they keep shutting down on weekends and their app only works when it wants to making it even harder to top up my meters   this has been going on since 2019 when I won my first case and still going on now and they wont help me with it yet they had the cheek to phone me yesterday but the idiot wouldn't listen to what I had to say so I hung up and wouldn't answer him calling back   besides he broke the law be phoning me as I have only allowed them to contact me through email and letter only and now they are saying I never replied to them with-in the 21 days which he is lying.  
    • I’ve been given a number that ends with a c..I didn’t get her name but she went and asked her Supervisor, the calls are recorded and she definitely said we had a case but to give him a last chance for today and see if is good to his word..then to call him and tell him that we can now report him to the police..   Because he has made so many promises to deliver and has not refunded on request then they will take action this time as he is out to deceive..   Funny today that our car has disappeared from his adverts so it’s gone somewhere..could he have sold it again?? but it wasn’t his to sell..and the police have stated that..   the plot thickens..a very expensive lesson we have learned from all this and how not to buy a car!   I will keep you all posted and so many thanks..    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Ebay Packlink and Hermes - destroyed item as it was "damaged". https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/430396-ebay-packlink-and-hermes-destroyed-item-as-it-was-damaged/&do=findComment&comment=5087347
      • 32 replies
    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
  • Recommended Topics

• Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2829 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last week there was a hoo-ha at work and management are saying that gifts from staff to staff should be:

For birthdays only

Up to £10 only.

And for xmas only gifts for £10 purchased via a secret santa should be allowed.

Now, at what point can the county council tell me what I can spend my money on and the amount I can spend?

I'm told it's covered in the behaviours policy.

After taking union advise they recommended not giving or receiving at all.

At what point is a member of staff a friend? I was told if I give a present outside of the work premises this still counts.

Any suggestions / points if view (in law)?

Thank you.

Have you actually read the behaviours policy? What does it say?

I can see why this rule is in place. I'd freak if a creepy guy at work gave me an inappropriately expensive gift and would worry about what they wanted in return. (Same with saucy gifts, and anyone who gives gifts to me and not other people. Stalkery!!)

I would think this is to protect everyone from harassment, and allegations of bribery/ coercion/ corruption.

Please tell me you haven't made a mix tape for someone you think is pretty...!

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

p.s. what reasons did the union give and are you going to listen to them?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

The union answer was "if you neither give nor receive nothing can be misconstrued".

Isn't it a sad world when you cannot give anything with the best of intentions. One of the people I work with brought some fruit in last week as they have an orchard. The manager had to seek permission to accept some free fruit. What's that all about?

But, as I said originally, at what point can the council tell me how to spend my money.

What's next, telling staff how much alcohol and cigarettes they should buy with their wages? Which shops they should spend it at? Where does this type of control stop?

If a member of staff did not want a gift for their birthday I would know that as I only buy for 3 or 4 of the people I work with.

I'm so fed up with PC lunacy.

As an aside a member of staff, who I repped, was suspended for joking about getting so drunk he didn't know where he was. This took nearly 3 weeks to sort out!

I have started replacing "PC" in my head with "common courtesy and consideration." It's amazing how similar they are...

If you are friends with someone outside work and want to give them a gift where you usually see them outside work, do it

Otherwise it's a little bit odd.

If a member of staff did not want a gift for their birthday I would know that as I only buy for 3 or 4 of the people I work with.

By the way, many harrassers say things like, "if they didn't like it they would have told me."

That is usually untrue, as the harassee feels too intimidated to talk.

Don't assume you can mind read. You can't.

I have started replacing "PC" in my head with "common courtesy and consideration." It's amazing how similar they are...

If you are friends with someone outside work and want to give them a gift where you usually see them outside work, do it

Otherwise it's a little bit odd.

I work in the care environment and staff are a lot more caring than office based types.

We have monthly social events and work well as a team.

I work in the care environment and staff are a lot more caring than office based types.

We have monthly social events and work well as a team.

And no one in an office does that, right?

So what does that behaviours policy say ??

The policy refers to accepting hospitality and service users.

I cannot find anything referring to staff.

I'm going to ask for a copy of what is being referred to.

I can see why they have the policy - though you should actually read the policy, not just rely on second hand information which very often turns out to be wrong. When you buy someone a gift, that person is under pressure to reciprocate. That is fine if you are both loaded but a problem if the person receiving the gift is broke. The same argument is used about Xmas presents here: http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2009/11/10/is-it-time-to-ban-christmas-presents/

I can't see any reason why the policy would be illegal.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I can see why they have the policy - though you should actually read the policy, not just rely on second hand information which very often turns out to be wrong. When you buy someone a gift, that person is under pressure to reciprocate. That is fine if you are both loaded but a problem if the person receiving the gift is broke. The same argument is used about Xmas presents here: http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2009/11/10/is-it-time-to-ban-christmas-presents/

I can't see any reason why the policy would be illegal.

At what point does an employer have the ability to stifle / control and person's decision to buy a gift?

If this turns out to be perfectly legitimate then we have strayed into very dodgy territory.

Freedom of expression?

At what point does an employer have the ability to stifle / control and person's decision to buy a gift?

If this turns out to be perfectly legitimate then we have strayed into very dodgy territory.

Freedom of expression?

I am really concerned that so far you have not seemed to find any situation in which gift giving to colleagues could be inappropriate. Seriously, you can't see it at all?

I'm not comfortable giving advice to someone who seems to have no boundaries around others. Can you genuinely not see how it could be really creepy and scary, and that is probably why the rule is in place?

I am really concerned that so far you have not seemed to find any situation in which gift giving to colleagues could be inappropriate. Seriously, you can't see it at all?

I'm not comfortable giving advice to someone who seems to have no boundaries around others. Can you genuinely not see how it could be really creepy and scary, and that is probably why the rule is in place?

If I gave a gift and said "here's my number, give me a call" etc that would be creepy and totally inapropriate.

Life is full of boundaries and we all live (mainly we all do) by these boundaries. These boundaries have some logic to them.

When I told the few people I buy for that buying gifts is being frowned upon they were horrified and basically said "i'll do what I want to do".

Assuming you're not joking with your messages you must think that a "nanny state" that controls people is a favourable situation?

I generally do what I want to do as I could afford to stop work for about 8 years. I'm lucky to have a second income.

I'm not used to being dictated to in a way that I feel in unnecessarily controlling.

Assuming you're not joking with your messages you must think that a "nanny state" that controls people is a favourable situation?

Actually I am more used to dealing with women who have been pestered by creepy guys who cannot understand social signals, and I find your need for freedom to be less important than their need to be comfortable in the workplace.

Which do you think is more important?

Actually I am more used to dealing with women who have been pestered by creepy guys who cannot understand social signals, and I find your need for freedom to be less important than their need to be comfortable in the workplace.

Which do you think is more important?

I do not know where you are coming from but you've totally misunderstood what's going on here.

The hoo-ha at work wasn't about this it was about other stuff (timekeeping, sickness etc) that's been going wrong for months.

Nobody has complained about gifts because I asked.

Management have decided to have some sort of clampdown and they are challenging practices that have been going on a long time.

My circle of friends are not happy about this (gifts) and are asking where the sudden interest has come from.

Nobody is being pestered here. Why do you think that?

This seems more a matter of being told what to do rather than a genuine desire to buy a gift. tbh why would you want to? most people are actually uncomfortable receiving gifts at work, if you feel that strongly buy everyone a cake or buy them a drink at lunchtime . I actually think gift buying has got out of hand and your employer is right to put a cap on it. and does every last little thing have to be written into a policy? what happened to common sense?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

I don't think anyone is neccessarily being pestered but I am struggling to understand how you believe gifts could never be used for that purpose. You are so set on defending your "freedoms" you seem unable to think of other points of view.

One person's freedom can often be another's misery. My freedom to keep noisy dogs, play music at 3am, let my kids draw on walls, etc etc. "Nanny state" is another inflamatory term people sometimes use instead of "civilised society."

"Other stuff" is not what you asked about in your thread title. I am curious about why you posted on a board which offers opinions; you seem to only want opinions which agree with you. I don't think your views have shufted at all, have they?

I don't think anyone is neccessarily being pestered but I am struggling to understand how you believe gifts could never be used for that purpose. You are so set on defending your "freedoms" you seem unable to think of other points of view.

One person's freedom can often be another's misery. My freedom to keep noisy dogs, play music at 3am, let my kids draw on walls, etc etc. "Nanny state" is another inflamatory term people sometimes use instead of "civilised society."

"Other stuff" is not what you asked about in your thread title. I am curious about why you posted on a board which offers opinions; you seem to only want opinions which agree with you. I don't think your views have shufted at all, have they?

I know that gifts COULD be used to harass others but this is not the case here.

I have no problem with being dictated to because mainly it's done for good reason.

I'm don't like being told what to do anyway but if you do tell me what do please make sure you have an explanation as to why.

I see your point about the nanny state but a lot of people who keep noisy dogs and plays music at 3.00am have no idea as to core values.

When it comes to others points of view I am listening to my circle of friends who think this is ridiculous.

We were told that if we give gifts outside of work it's the same as giving them inside work.

How does that stack up?

How does that stack up?

That they are protecting their staff from nutters. Good for them says I!

Emmzzi is right. Just realise that it is nothing against you personally. THe company needs to protect itself and its employees so has a blanket rule on this. Personally iw ould just follow the rules and if you really want to send presents to each other, do it outside work. IMHO you are making too much fuss about something that is not really worth worrying about.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Sad that people are stupid enough to stalk and harass others the thus forcing companies to add these policies.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D