My benefits are suspended while I am investigated for benefit fraud - what happens next?

Ladychubbs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3870 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Do you know what evidence they have on you that makes them think that you are living together.

Thay searched my property and on their search warrant it said to find paperwork and bank statements for evidence of us living together. All my bank statements clearly show I pay all my own bills. So they didn't take them. They are my evidence my BF doesn't make any kind of financial assistance to my house.

Thank you. seanamarts.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they have found no evidence then they will have to back pay all the money that they have stopped. Have they any photographic evidence of your boyfriend coming and going from your home.

Either some one has told them that you have someone living with you and sent them proof or they have found something that has made them very suspicious. Otherwise I cannot see why they need to suspend your benefits and request that you need to give back 5 years worth of benefits.

Can you think of anything that may have incriminated you.

Thay searched my property and on their search warrant it said to find paperwork and bank statements for evidence of us living together. All my bank statements clearly show I pay all my own bills. So they didn't take them. They are my evidence my BF doesn't make any kind of financial assistance to my house.

Thank you. seanamarts.

I'm shocked they got the police to search your home for these things cos they can go to any bank, credit ref agency and whatever else and obtain this information without you even knowing about it or asking your permission. I can't imagine how you must have felt being arrested especially when they have the power to get all this info with you being none the wiser, just doesn't make sense.

You mention your housing benefit has been stopped but your home has a repossession order on it...do you rent or own your property? A repossession order does not necessarily mean you will lose your home (if you do own it).

More info here https://www.gov.uk/repossession/repossession-orders

I have now been told I Owe £66.000. Overpayment and I'm still getting no money. I've had a repossession order on my home! Am appealing but that isn't paying my rent! This is so wrong.

I am a little confused - are you renting your home or do you own it ?

If you are renting, then this would be an eviction notice - but you would have to be in arrears for this to happen.

If you own your home, on which a repossession order could be made, then you would have to be seriously in arrears with the mortgage repayments.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If they have found no evidence then they will have to back pay all the money that they have stopped. Have they any photographic evidence of your boyfriend coming and going from your home.

Either some one has told them that you have someone living with you and sent them proof or they have found something that has made them very suspicious. Otherwise I cannot see why they need to suspend your benefits and request that you need to give back 5 years worth of benefits.

Can you think of anything that may have incriminated you.

My boyfriends ex wife hates me and I know for sure she has something to do with this, in my interview they mentioned things that could have only come from her. They have had my house under surveillance and watched my BF coming here. However they chose not to mention I stayed at his the week before for almost a week.

This is my house I pay my own bills I get nothing from my BF, he has his own bills too. My bank statements prove I pay all my bills.

Thank you.

My apologies, you had indeed answered the question :)

Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I am a little confused - are you renting your home or do you own it ?

If you are renting, then this would be an eviction notice - but you would have to be in arrears for this to happen.

If you own your home, on which a repossession order could be made, then you would have to be seriously in arrears with the mortgage repayments.

Hi, I rent my home and its ten weeks arrears.

Thanks.

Ah right. Rented property - ok, is it a Housing association / Local Authority or privately rented ?

Have the arrears stacked up since the cessation of your benefits ?

If HA or LA property, have you spoken to them about the situation ?

BCOBS

I'm shocked they got the police to search your home for these things cos they can go to any bank, credit ref agency and whatever else and obtain this information without you even knowing about it or asking your permission. I can't imagine how you must have felt being arrested especially when they have the power to get all this info with you being none the wiser, just doesn't make sense.

You mention your housing benefit has been stopped but your home has a repossession order on it...do you rent or own your property? A repossession order does not necessarily mean you will lose your home (if you do own it).

More info here https://www.gov.uk/repossession/repossession-orders

Thank you.

Yes it's really getting me down. I've got two sons aged 21 and 17. My oldest has a disability so we already had it tough. My youngest is at college and I'm having to rely on my parents to give him bus fare. I should be looking after them not them looking after us.

Thank you.

I read your story very shocking indeed, I hope everything gets sorted out, Can I ask something why are your youngest paying for his college fare, my son is 19 years old and have free bus fare to college, perhaps you should apply for that as your son is only 17 years old! My son been getting free bus fare since 16 and starting college! I just renew every year! My son have an oyster card, please go and check on their website and apply it's free for schools and colleges!

hope this helps

I read your story very shocking indeed, I hope everything gets sorted out, Can I ask something why are your youngest paying for his college fare, my son is 19 years old and have free bus fare to college, perhaps you should apply for that as your son is only 17 years old! My son been getting free bus fare since 16 and starting college! I just renew every year! My son have an oyster card, please go and check on their website and apply it's free for schools and colleges!

hope this helps

Hi

My son changed college half way through the year and there is no spare seats. I'm hoping he will gat one at the beging of term

Thank you for the info.

I last got income support and my rent paid on the 23rd May.

Thank you.

When you say

I have now been told I Owe £66.000. Overpayment and I'm still getting no money. I've had a repossession order on my home! Am appealing but that isn't paying my rent! This is so wrong.

I've had a repossession order on my home!

Ladychubbs

Have you been issued a section 8 or section 21 notice or both by your landlord or have you had a Possession order from your local county court ?

Rent Arrears,this is a serious question as if your more than 8 weeks in arrears, it is mandatory possession order for your landlord assuming you have a Assured short hold Tenancy "AST"

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Hi

My son changed college half way through the year and there is no spare seats. I'm hoping he will gat one at the beging of term

Thank you for the info.

Try to apply as soon as you can, I will be applying for my son's new course on the 22nd of august that's when the college is taking on new students, also apply for his oyster card as soon as he got his a new place for his courses, you'll need a letter from the college to show he has got a place for his course and send it with your new application for the new oyster card!

:)

Try to apply as soon as you can, I will be applying for my son's new course on the 22nd of august that's when the college is taking on new students, also apply for his oyster card as soon as he got his a new place for his courses, you'll need a letter from the college to show he has got a place for his course and send it with your new application for the new oyster card!

:)

Will do and thank you.

Will do and thank you.

new oyster card! is the least of your problems

Could you please answer as questions asked hear http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?397483-My-benefits-are-suspended-while-I-am-investigated-for-benefit-fraud-what-happens-next&p=4312545&viewfull=1#post4312545

I'm trying to help you

But if want to loose the roof over your head that's your choice !

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

When you say

I've had a repossession order on my home!

Ladychubbs

Have you been issued a section 8 or section 21 notice or both by your landlord or have you had a Possession order from your local county court ?

Rent Arrears,this is a serious question as if your more than 8 weeks in arrears, it is mandatory possession order for your landlord assuming you have a Assured short hold Tenancy "AST"

It says Housing Act 1985 Section 83. I've lived here for ten years. Thank you.

Edited by Ladychubbs

new oyster card! is the least of your problems

Could you please answer as questions asked hear http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?397483-My-benefits-are-suspended-while-I-am-investigated-for-benefit-fraud-what-happens-next&p=4312545&viewfull=1#post4312545

I'm trying to help you

But if want to loose the roof over your head that's your choice !

Of course I appreciate any help. I keep checking if I've misses questions. Thank you.

It says Housing Act 1985 Section 83. I've lived here for ten years. Thank you.

Can you just confirm are you a housing association or council Tenant !

I am popping a summary of the eviction only here - If I am to ask someone to help then they will want all the information in one block.

You have rented this property for 10 years.

You are 10 weeks in arrears with your rent and you have been served with

It says Housing Act 1985 Section 83.

Have sent S.O.S for some advice.

Edited by citizenB

BCOBS

s83 notice is just informing you that they intend to seek possession through the courts. You must contact them and explain the situation - as part of the pre-action protocol they are supposed to assist you in any benefit entitlements you may have (though given what you have written there isn't anything they can do at this stage). That said, if there is any prospect of the current benefit fraud investigation being dismissed, then you will be entitled to backpayment of your suspended benefits, which would presumably clear your rent arrears; judges are reluctant to grant possession of secure tenancies when there are benefit issues - I am deducing from the service of the s83 that you have a secure tenancy?

In any case, you MUST contact the housing department and explain your current situation. If you have someone who could pay the rent for you in the interim, then you should definitely be asking them for assistance. If not, then if your landlord proceeds to court, you will need to inform the judge about the issues with your benefits - it is very likely he/she would adjourn proceedings until the outcome of the benefit investigation.

Incidentally - something which appears to have been missed in the replies from the things you have posted above, is that you readily admit that you have stayed over at your boyfriend's place and that he 'pays for everything when you are there' - that in itself is sufficient for them to say you are financially linked as when he is 'paying for everything' you are still claiming benefits elsewhere - you may not want to acknowledge that, and it may irritate you to have someone point it out, but far better for it to be clear that there is an obvious issue, rather than pretend none exists at all. One hopes you have a solicitor who knows what he is doing in order to reduce any impact on you.

s83 notice is just informing you that they intend to seek possession through the courts. You must contact them and explain the situation - as part of the pre-action protocol they are supposed to assist you in any benefit entitlements you may have (though given what you have written there isn't anything they can do at this stage). That said, if there is any prospect of the current benefit fraud investigation being dismissed, then you will be entitled to backpayment of your suspended benefits, which would presumably clear your rent arrears; judges are reluctant to grant possession of secure tenancies when there are benefit issues - I am deducing from the service of the s83 that you have a secure tenancy?

In any case, you MUST contact the housing department and explain your current situation. If you have someone who could pay the rent for you in the interim, then you should definitely be asking them for assistance. If not, then if your landlord proceeds to court, you will need to inform the judge about the issues with your benefits - it is very likely he/she would adjourn proceedings until the outcome of the benefit investigation.

Incidentally - something which appears to have been missed in the replies from the things you have posted above, is that you readily admit that you have stayed over at your boyfriend's place and that he 'pays for everything when you are there' - that in itself is sufficient for them to say you are financially linked as when he is 'paying for everything' you are still claiming benefits elsewhere - you may not want to acknowledge that, and it may irritate you to have someone point it out, but far better for it to be clear that there is an obvious issue, rather than pretend none exists at all. One hopes you have a solicitor who knows what he is doing in order to reduce any impact on you.

Thank you so much. I was hoping they we're going to dismiss me as they have my BF. my solicitor is confused at them doing that yet still pursuing me. My solicitor says we both got arrested on conspiracy to commit benefit fraud. Yet he has got no further action. I researched for a solicitor who specialises in this field.

I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

I am popping a summary of the eviction only here - If I am to ask someone to help then they will want all the information in one block.

You have rented this property for 10 years.

You are 10 weeks in arrears with your rent and you have been served with

Have sent S.O.S for some advice.

Thank you I really appreciate your help.