BankFodder BankFodder

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2377 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I've recently been having a 2 and fro with the council about council tax I didn't owe, I eventually made an agreement with the council and they said they would put a attachment on my JSA, which I was quite happy with and didn't raise any objections.

The job centre then refused the attachment order, which unbeknown by me, the council rather than coming back to me, put the debt out to rossendales, from whom we got a letter.

I immediately contacted the council and asked them why they had done this rather than coming back to me so we could sort payment another way. They agreed to reclaim the order and agreed to me setting up a standing order.

A week or so later possibly a little longer a bailiff knocks at the door and we told him to get lost because they didn't have the order. He called his office, apologised and left.

Next thing we know we have a letter telling us if we don't pay £42.50 costs they would re-attend and enforce the court order.

I complained to them and the council (twice now) and the council are adamant that they have the court order and they are happy with the current agreement, but Rossendales keep sending us letters saying "we are investigating this matter" and sending more and more aggressive letters.

I have made it clear to the council and the bailiff company that I do not feel this is part of the original court order and that they should take me to small claims court, but I seem to be banging my head against the wall with them.

Anybody have any ideas

It sounds to me like your issue is with the Council and not the Bailiffs.The Council are telling you that they have agreed to an arrangement with you, but they haven't obviously told the Bailiffs to cease action and close the case.As far as the Bailiffs are concerned, unless they are informed by their client (Local Authority) that they are to return the case, they will continue to proceed.You need to get on to the Council and get them to sort the matter out - Raise it as a formal complaint.

I think you need to communicate with the council, and get the fact they have recalled this and should never have passed it to Rossendales. If Rossendales visited you just one time they have overcharged anyway, so IMO you owe them nothing.

Ensure you get it in writing (email is fine) from the council stating you owe bailiffs absolutely nothing and that the debt has been recalled by them. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks for your comments guys, I have been in constant contact with the council CC'ing my local MP who expressed an interest when I let her know about my 9 month long battle with them over council tax. But I have not raised a formal complaint, so have asked the Chief Executive (or what passes for one now) for the procedure

The procedure is quite simple. Write a letter with all your cvoncerns etc and mark envelope & letter as Formal Complaint & send to CEO.

• Confused 1

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Indeed Ploddertom - I totally agree.

in the mean time do not stop paying the council the payments that you have agreed to pay.

The bailiff cannot use the LO as an excuse to come and hassle you for his fee's any way.

If he turns up just dont get into a conversation with him, politely ask him to leave, or just ignore him, he cannot force his way in.