• Tweets

• LPA.  (I'm fighting insolvency due to all the stuff that he and lender have done).  He appointed estate agents - (changed several times). Disclosure shows he was originally appointed for a specific reason (3m after repo) : using his powers as acting for leaseholder to serve notice on freeholders (to grab fh).  There was interest from 3 potential buyers. He chose one whose offer depended on a positive result of the notice.  Disc also shows he'd taken counsel advice - which was 'he'd fail'.  Irrespective he'd asked to resign as his job (of serving notice) was done and he'd found a buyer.  Lender asked him to stay on to assign notice to the buyer.  Notice failed, buyer didn't buy.  So receiver stayed.  There was 1 buyer who wanted to proceed w/o fh but receiver/ lender wasted 1y trying to get rid of them!  Disc shows why. But I didn't know why at the time. Lender voiced getting rid of receiver. Various reasons - including cost.  But there's a contradiction/ irony: as I've seen an email (of 4y ago) which shows the receiver telling lender not to incur significant costs and to minimize receiver costs.  Yet lender then asked him to serve another notice - again counsel advice indicated 'he'd fail'.  And he did fail.  But wasted 3y trying and incurred huge legal costs - lender trying to pass on to me. Lender interfered - said wanted to do works.  Receiver should have said no.  But disc. shows he agreed to step aside to let them do the works - on proviso lender would discuss potential costs first (they didn't), works wouldn't take long (took 15m), and lender would hold interest (they didn't) (this last point is crucial for me now - as I need to know if I can argue that all interest beyond this point shouldnt be allowed?)   I need to check receiver witness statement in litigation with freeholders to see exactly what he said about 'his position'. But I remember it being along the lines of - 'if the works increased the value of the property he didn't have a problem'.  Lender/ receiver real problems started at this point. The cost of works and 4y passage of time has meant there is no real increase in value. Lender (or receiver) didn't get any permissions (statutory or fh) (and didn't tell me) and just bulldozed the property to an empty shell.  The freeholders served notice on me as leaseholder for breach of covenants (strict no alterations).  The Lender stepped in (acting for me) to issue notice for relief of forfeiture - not the receiver.  That wasted 2y of litigation (3y if inc the works) and incurred huge costs (both sides).  Lender's aim was to do the works that every potential buyer balked at due to the lease restrictions.  Lender and receiver knew couldn't do works w/o fh permission. Lender did them anyway; receiver allowed.  Receiver remained appointed.  I'm arguing lender interfered in receiver duties.  Receiver should have just sold property 4-5y ago w/o allowing any works.  Almost 3y since works finished the property remains unsold (>5y from repo). The property looks brand new - but it was great before.  The lender spent a ton of money - hoping that would facilitate a quick sale.  But the money they spent and the years they have wasted has meant they had to increase sale price.  It's now completely overpriced.  And - of course - the same issues that put buyers off (before works) still exist.   The receiver has tried for 2y to assert the works increased value. But he is relying on agents estimates - which have proved highly speculative. (Usual trick of an agent to give a high value to get the business - and then tell seller to reduce when no-one buys.). And of course lender continues to accrue interest (despite 4y ago receiver saying pause interest). Lender tried to persuade receiver to use specific agent. Disc shows this agent was best friends with the lender's main investor in the property.  Before works this agent had valued it low.  After works this agent suggested a value 70% higher!  The lender persuaded receiver to sack one agent and instead use this agent.  No offers. (Price way too high).   Research has uncovered that this main investor has since died.  I guess his investment is part of probate? And his family want it back?    Disc shows the sacked agent had actually received a high offer 1y ago.  Receiver rejected it.  He was relying on the high speculative valuation the agents had given him to pitch for the business. The agents were in a catch-22.  The receiver sacked them. Disc shows there has been 0 interest ever since. I don't think lender or receiver want all this to come out in public domain via a trial.  It will ruin their reputations. If I can't get an order for sale with lender - can I apply separately against receiver?
    • Ok many thanks. Just wanted to check that nothing else for us to do / send for the moment. Will update again once we receive a copy of their N181 and proposed directions for review. Our post is a bit hit and miss at the moment. Appreciate the help through this process.
    • Yes and will ask you if you are in agreement and or wish to add /remove any direction.
    • Torys seem to think its worth while - cheap muckspreading while they get away with ACTUALLY doing it? More the aspect of ensuring that when these tactics are used without justification - make sure your people aren't doing it more and worse or their crap spread on the waters ... - mind you, the Tories would have to maybe even ease off on their using taxpayer and donor money to fund their preferred lifestyles wouldn't they? Maybe even do the jobs they are paid for?  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Can I take legal action against DCA's - Marlins/Lowel/1st credit/aptiv kapital - debts not mine on CRA file

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3066 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I agree with Brigadier on this one. You CAN claim damages, but I would go about it in a slightly different way.

The reason for claiming damages is what matters and is directly relevant to this case.

Personally, I would claim for harassment, time taken to deal with correspondence at a set rate, costs for posting, photocopying, etc.

It's worked for me in the past and I immediately (by return post) received a compensatory cheque on the understanding that I would not persue that one instance further.

I'd laid out my claim clearly, and said:

"I hereby give you notice that, should you continue to write, erroneously asserting that I am liable for a debt that is not mine as I have never had dealings with the original creditor that you claim, I will have no alternative but to invoice your company for compensation for undue distress caused due to formulating and sending replies to such letters, plus necessary personal expenses incurred.

Please accept this letter as full and adequate advance warning of my intended charges. Future invoices to your company (per letter) will be broken down as follows: (give breakdown)

Oh, and I told them that late payment of invoices would incur a standard £12 late payment fee plus interest at 26% :lol:

Certainly thraten them over breach of the DPA too - reporting to all regualtory bodies - and carry out the threat.

Hope that helps.

H. x

Interesting what legal cause of action would you use for your claim, I take it it was estimated/ general damages rather than an actual liquidated sum assessment.

There has been several high court claims that have notably failed in claiming general damages which I could point you to so I think more details would be a great help.

Did you use the statutory breach for cause of action or was it action upon tort if so which one, details please.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply wrote, stating I'd persue non-payment through small claims court with specific reference to harassment.

"Also, as a result of your company’s continued unsubstantioated/proven link with me, I refer you to my letter of xx/xx/xx, in which I had no alternative but to formally request that your company ceased any and all contact with me and my family forthwith, due to the frequency of communications, both by telephone and in writing - dates and times of which have been noted and a full and complete record retained. With reference to this, I feel I must also draw your attention to the recent case of MBNA v Harrison and the subsequent judgement by High Court Judge Nicholas Chambers QC, as certainly, the aforementioned calls by your company, over a number of weeks, were the cause of considerable and relentless personal distress, both to me and my family.

I quote directly from the aforementioned judgement by Judge Chambers:

“(These) calls were a form of torture, oppressively frequent in amount and often without attribution to an identifiable number.”

Went on to point out that the fine imposed in the above case was set at £50k. That stopped any harassment in its tracks.

I think that if you state your objection clearly, show you know what THEY should or shouldn't be doing, then you can rattle them a bit. Obviously, if in Stockport's case, it went to court, he could easily prove that none of these debts could be linked to him/the DCA couldn't prove they were. In other words, a DCA is highly unlikely to wish to consider court action when they'd be on a hiding to nothing.

Basically used a vague legal precedent, small claims rather than High Court and stated I WOULD go through with it. They dropped it like a hot potato as it would have meant compensation and both my and their court costs. Oh, and my harassment claim was for the nominal sum of a penny - everything else mounted up to over £200 in proveable costs (including my time taken to correspond at a fixed rate)

Simply wrote, stating I'd persue non-payment through small claims court with specific reference to harassment.

"Also, as a result of your company’s continued unsubstantioated/proven link with me, I refer you to my letter of xx/xx/xx, in which I had no alternative but to formally request that your company ceased any and all contact with me and my family forthwith, due to the frequency of communications, both by telephone and in writing - dates and times of which have been noted and a full and complete record retained. With reference to this, I feel I must also draw your attention to the recent case of MBNA v Harrison and the subsequent judgement by High Court Judge Nicholas Chambers QC, as certainly, the aforementioned calls by your company, over a number of weeks, were the cause of considerable and relentless personal distress, both to me and my family.

I quote directly from the aforementioned judgement by Judge Chambers:

“(These) calls were a form of torture, oppressively frequent in amount and often without attribution to an identifiable number.”

Went on to point out that the fine imposed in the above case was set at £50k. That stopped any harassment in its tracks.

I think that if you state your objection clearly, show you know what THEY should or shouldn't be doing, then you can rattle them a bit. Obviously, if in Stockport's case, it went to court, he could easily prove that none of these debts could be linked to him/the DCA couldn't prove they were. In other words, a DCA is highly unlikely to wish to consider court action when they'd be on a hiding to nothing.

I am aware of Harrison Vs link.

It was a good win, think the behavior of link was a cumulative factor in the judgment together with a section 62/63 breach.

I don't remember anything about a "fine" though http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Mercantile/2011/B3.html

In fact link were not ordered to pay back any of the sums already paid off the loan but the judge ordered the balance written off.

Not sure about costs.

Best get these things right if you are going to send them to creditors, I think

I

Edited by Dodgeball
Reference removed.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Can't remember where I found the figure, but it was a CAG link to the judgement in full and an article in one of the industry online magazines.

It worked, anyway, but yes, I take your point about being solid on the facts... ;)

Apologies for my posts appearing out of place - they ceased to make much sense in the moving. lol

I agree a realistic approach in court could work, but the OP really needs to decide on the primary objective here; is it to get compensation by suing the DCA, or is it to get the record put straight.

Depending which is the main objective would dictate my course of action, as each would be different.

Rubbish pussy footing around DCAs that are acting in this way it a total waste of time the OP poor fellow has had scenario for far too long for polite business letters, week are not specifically looking at damages for loss, consequential or otherwise , harassment is foremost here, we know of cases with very similar features that have had severe and sometimes tragic outcomes.

You are most definitely right about my experience and of course entirely wrong on the validity and success of this approach.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Mercantile/2011/B3.html Here is the Harrison case no fine though

Rubbish pussy footing around DCAs that are acting in this way it a total waste of time the OP poor fellow has had scenario for far too long for polite business letters, week are not specifically looking at damages for loss, consequential or otherwise , harassment is foremost here, we know of cases with very similar features that have had severe and sometimes tragic outcomes.

You are most definitely right about my experience and of course entirely wrong on the validity and success of this approach.

As said above, I think the OP needs to decide on their primary desired outcome.

You make very definite statements, which can be a good thing. You state you have had the experience and we are wrong about the success of your approach. Are you able to point us to some of the successful judgments you have achieved, as I try to keep reasonably abreast of case law, and significant outcomes from county courts, but these successes seem to have passed me by - sorry.

I think Wiki law is best kept off forums, and indeed sometimes it is best to keep the law off forums and reality on them. Dodgeball and I just live on Earth; you appear to inhabit a different planet where reality is very different to things here.

Please post up your successes and prove me wrong.

It is not pussyfooting brigadier it is behaving in a professional manner, making threats that you cannot possibly follow through on frankly just makes you look absurd, and looses the OP any credibility.

If you think there is any legal rationale for claiming damages in this case then let hear your reasoning, otherwise it is just bluster. If the OP is going to resolve this he is going to have to talk to the DCA's concerned and iron out the problem, threatening with some fictitious court action will not help, it will just make them unwilling to address the issue and frankly think you are just another forum lawyer.

Guys, Brigadier has been immensely helpful to many people on here, me included. It's thanks to his (and others) advice that I've won quite a few cases, had claims dropped and compensation payments made.

It's hot, Brig (and I) are getting on a bit, cut us some slack, eh lads? ;)

Your multiple personality disorder at work Dodgeball!

HaHa

Seriously though If the OP is still about you need to talk to the DCa's concerned, yes in writing and yes be firm, but don't make threats that cannot be followed through it just makes them uncooperative, this is from years of real experience in such matters.

Anyway good luck

Dodge

T'would be nice to be a lad again! :-) I think many of us have had a fair few successful outcomes, and we're all after the same outcome - whatever is best for the OP. I think it's the rather overly-definite attitude which provokes the reaction. No reason to fall out though - been there, done that, don't want to do it again thank you. :-D

That's fair enough Davyly. :)

I would say that regarding the original query, the OP is quite ok to write (not phone) the OC and make it very plain what he feels the siatuation is.

There's no harm in being firm, and certainly no harm in making a threat of small claims action - especially as this is a case of mistaken identity and as a result, harassment and trashing of what (it would seem) had been a perfectly good credit reference file.

Just need to stick to facts and be prepared to follow through with any 'threats' made. If done correctly, the DCAs (in my experience) really do back down.

As in many cases, with "phishing trips" they need to be told exactly where you/they stand. As previously stated, the onus is on them to prove any indebtedness beyond any doubt.

Anyway, best of luck from me too Stockport, and if you do need any further help, please do ask.

H. x

I have removed some posts from this thread i.e. the ones that do not directly help the OP.

There are some differing opinions on how this matter could be dealt with and the OP should read all opinions and judge for him/herself which is the best route for them.

It is also worth pointing out that if the OP decides on a court action, while I have no doubt he will get the support and help he needs, it is the OP themselves who will be in the courtroom and will need to have an understanding of what they might be getting into.

healthy debate here is fine but not personal attacks please.

To the OP, you might like to read the information that has been offered to you and then do some more reading around as there is a wealth of information on CAG which could help you.

Thanks

Stockport, you are aware that you can send a Subject Access Request to the Credit Reference Agencies ?

It costs £10.00 and they have the same 40 calendar days that other Data controllers have and it is surprising what things can be unearthed that way :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I would concur with the above. Be firm, but please do not threaten or state anything unless you are actually prepared to do it. The DCA is the Data Controller, so only the DCA can do anything about. If they refuse, then you go to the ICO - that's why it's there.

Your position is a very difficult one, and it will not be solved with one letter. However, you must stop phoning and keep everything in writing (email is fine) for the avoidance of doubt, just in case legal action is ever necessary.

Hopefully you will get it resolved long before that is the case.

I find that it is always a good idea to get the name of an individual, preferably the data controller him/herself and place the query with them, then if it is not resolved you go back to the same person.

Nothing worse than having to repeat the same old information every time you contact the firm.

I would place the complaint in writing and then contact at frequent intervals until the complaint is resolved to your satisfaction, I would like to say that there is a quick fix to this problem but the truth is that there rarely is, as sequency says much of this is automated and it means that someone has to take the time to get into the machinery and rectify the error, persistence usually pays off in the end though.

Dodge

I have read this thread with interest and it seems that people often forget that the Data Protection Act co-exists with the basic Human Right to Privacy and right to be from discrimination and harrassment.

Now i am sure that the European Court would take a dim view of someones right to privacy being so badly infringed with an unlawfully placed default marker that their 'financial reputation' has been damaged, then their private information sold on to harrassers who then embark on a campaign so intense that people have committed suicide, without making even the most basic of checks - no wonder so many cases are settled out of Court or locally at County Court.

It seems an impossible and ridiculous situation where the Law enforcement agencies have to get special training and high level permission to access the credit files of someone they are genuinely interested in backed up by solid intelligence - they have to prove beyond all doubt that the person is in fact their subject of interest before obtaining ANY access, yet a Data entry clerk, or possibly a computer program can access and place a marker on a persons record without checking if it is factually correct and then sell that information to any rogue DCA that it fancies.

I am all for being nice with these DCA's at the first or even the second interaction, but most of them are rogues, trading in dirty business, making money from the vulnerable by bullying them into submission. We hear stories all the time of debts being paid off unwittingly by persons that don't even owe the debt as they are so scared of the possible consequences as threatened by the DCA's.

I have threatened action under Human Rights legislation and my right to privacy laws being breached, together with my rights to be free from discrimination and harassment and the DCA concerned has run a mile; this, together with my accompanying notice that i will charge £35 per hour taking time to answer their letters, calls and text messages they have scurried away under their stones.

I am fighting it all the way :-x

Sadly, I doubt the ECoHR would be the slightest bit interested in this. The Human Rights Act tends to exist for the really big issues, though is used to good effect by some individuals.

I suspect your result with the DCA's was more to do with the fact they can make their profits more easily from people who don't put up a fight than those who do - nothing more and nothing less.

Brig - with sincere respect, your approach is simply miles off the mark.

Edited by Dodgeball

LOL the Court is there for everyone to seek justice, its not only for 'BIG' things.

Any engagement of Human Rights can be heard at the European Court of Human Rights, that's why the Act was brought in.

Ask any official dealing with such matters especially around RIPA and Freedoms etc.

There is no need for hearings at lower Courts, that is for the Europen Court of Justice, seperate entities!

It is open to everyone and they can act in person if they are up for it.

e.g The right to a fair trial/hearing extends right up to internal employment discipline procedures/hearings. The legislation only allows breaches or engagements under certain 'permissive' laws of the relevant country. Any other breach is unlawful and can be rightly brought by an individual and heard at the ECHR. It is not an appeal Court

What i am saying is that the UK needs a case such as this to be heard in such a Court in order for justice to be served properly, i was willing to take my case if needed and refused to compromise with the harrassers, they backed off.

I am fighting it all the way :-x

There is plenty of advice for the OP to consider and decide what is right for him.

I suggest that we wait for him to come back with any questions he might have before adding more ideas or discussions.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It will never happen though, because the DCA's move on to easier prey. They really do not want to be in front of the ECHR. I didn't actually say it was only for the big issues, I said it tended to deal primarily with the bigger issues. I also mentioned some people had used it to good effect.

It is not usually hard to get a DCA to back off if they have only an equitable assignment. If they have an Assignment in Absolute, then you may have a harder job on your hand. If you start getting threats from Marlin or several others, you could well end up in a very uncomfortable position.

Perhaps another thread should be made entitled the role of the human rights declaration in debt collection.

As a finl point there is facility for redress within the DPA 1998 for sanctions where a data controller deliberately missuses data, without taking such grandiose measures as reporting them to the ECoHR.

However in the OPs case as in most cases this is not a deliberate act, this is an error. General damages will not be entertained unless it can be proven that parties did not act in good faith.

So going back to the OP in this case the ONLY sensible course is to resolve the error by TALKING to those concerned, and getting it straightened out, threats will get no where.

Definitely my last word on the subject :)

Dodge

Edited by Dodgeball

It is not a simple error if it has been ongoing for 7 years. It really is as simple as that.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D