Waiting time for (urgent) MRI ?

GHLB
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, sorry for the formal layout of my question but I think it best gives the details.

6 weeks ago my wife developed a stiff leg and before the end of the day had to be brought home from school (a teacher)unable to walk.

Doctor diagnosed sciatica and prescribed tablets. (these have been increased weekly as there has been increased pain and unable to sleep at nights) Also the foot had dropped in this time and a hired wheelchair is now used for mobility.

We waited 4 weeks to see a consultant. Consultant diagnosed the drop foot and pain as being related to a disc operation approx 15 years ago. The consultant also stated the case was 'urgent' and a scan was to be arranged from which we shouldn't be surprised if we were told to travel straight to another hospital from the scan for an operation.

This meeting was 2 weeks ago. My wife now in a desperate state suffering continuing pain, lack of sleep, and only able to walk with a stick a few steps around the house.

We contacted hospital regarding MRI scan date and they said it was a 'routine' case and could be anything up to 3 months! We contacted the consultants secretary regarding the 'urgent' 'routine' statements who told us she would contact the consultant.

My wife is/was an active lady and a busy hard working teacher, to be told that the scan could well be in a number of months time has left her devastated.

My question is, we are sure the consultant said the case was 'urgent', and so how long would we be expected to wait for a scan?

Sorry the question is specific but someone may be able to answer.

many thanks,

GHLB

It is a question for the consultant who saw your wife, as will depend on the clinical picture and how "urgent" they say it is.

You've done the right thing contacting the consultant's secretary. I'd suggest re-contacting them 2 days after the last call and asking "Is Mr. (or Miss) happy this can wait the 3 months, or within what timescale should we expect the scan?"

This then isn't demanding a particular date, but gives you an idea of when you should expect the scan, allows you to call again if it doesn't happen within that time frame saying "we were told it should be within X time" and also 'nudges' the secretary to get an answer from the consultant if they haven't already.

Good luck! And I hope it gets sorted soon.

Where are you in the country? I was referred for a routine MRI of my shoulder and was offered to go to Cheltenham scanning centre as it would be quicker than local hospital in Gloucester. I think I was seen the following week.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I havn't responded straight away as I wasn't sure of our situation but now I know.

After lot's of phone calls and emails it is obvious we are not getting anywhere! Our consultant has apparently put that our case is 'urgent' but the hospital have decided it isn't and a wait of 3-4 months is possible. I have to say that this is 'impossible'. We have been told that the hospital will only review their decision if my wife's condition get's worse. And since our consultancy meeting it has got a lot worse and drug dosages have been increased by our doctor to try and ease the pain and so my wife can get some sleep and rest. (me too!)

So we have been told that out GP needs to contact the consultant with an update on my wife's deteriorating condition, and the consultant has to contact the hospital, then the hospital might review the case. BUT, our GP is on holiday this week to begin with so there will be no progress this week. On hearing this my wife has broken down yet again.

My issue now is that the hospital have based a decision on a report that is out of date regarding my wife's condition. Since that report my wife has been put on the highest dose of tablets possible to try and cope with the pain and sleepless nights. As I sit here listening to my wife talking to herself in the next room I can do nothing but watch her deteriorate physically and mentally.

Have you been in contact with the PALS? - patient liaison service at the hospital - I really feel for you and your wife - it sounds like an awful situation. I know what back pain is like !!

Thanks you for that. We have just heard that our doctor is away for 2 weeks not 1 !?

P.S. the PALS is in England only. We live in Wales.

Edited by GHLB

Thanks you for that. We have just heard that our doctor is away for 2 weeks not 1 !?

P.S. the PALS is in England only. We live in Wales.

You are "playing by the rules" (as you should, as long as the rules "play fair" back!)

If your wife's condition is deteriorating, then one of the GP's covering for the absent GP should review her & get her reassessed by her consultant. If they say "no appointments today" say "no matter, with her increased Pain & decreased mobility I was in half a mind to say she needed a home visit anyway, so if there are no appointments please send the GP round - what time should we expect them?"

I'm hesitant to suggest "bending the rules" but if you are then facing intransigence : can you get to the ('obstructive') hospital where the MRI scanner is?.

I usually suggest anything other than attending A&E as A&E (or the 'emergency dept.') is meant for emergencies and (non-minor) injuries : but if the only way to get them to change their mind as to the urgency is for your wife to attend A&E where the scanner is and say "I have pain, I have foot drop, the pain is increasing despite the pain killers, I think I need to be admitted for i.v. Pain relief"

If they then did admit her : I bet she won't wait 3 months for the MRI!

Ah- my parents live in N Wales so I know there are all sorts of issues with referals in Wales! Mum has had a lot of her surgery at the Orthapedic hospital in Oswestry but more recently has had to go there as a private patient as it is just across the border- but an awful lot nearer than Cardiff where she was supposed to be referred to. I think I agree with the above poster given the circumstances.

Well, listening to my wife groaning even in her sleep under the influence of her medicines last night brought A&E to mind to be honest.

But today it sounded a bit more promising, when the consultant heard that my wife had gotten worse and that the hospital had put her down as non urgent, she is going to contact the hospital to explain my wife's case.

I say promising but let's see. And thanks again to you people for your support.

Hi all, sorry for the formal layout of my question but I think it best gives the details.

6 weeks ago my wife developed a stiff leg and before the end of the day had to be brought home from school (a teacher)unable to walk.

Doctor diagnosed sciatica and prescribed tablets. (these have been increased weekly as there has been increased pain and unable to sleep at nights) Also the foot had dropped in this time and a hired wheelchair is now used for mobility.

We waited 4 weeks to see a consultant. Consultant diagnosed the drop foot and pain as being related to a disc operation approx 15 years ago. The consultant also stated the case was 'urgent' and a scan was to be arranged from which we shouldn't be surprised if we were told to travel straight to another hospital from the scan for an operation.

This meeting was 2 weeks ago. My wife now in a desperate state suffering continuing pain, lack of sleep, and only able to walk with a stick a few steps around the house.

We contacted hospital regarding MRI scan date and they said it was a 'routine' case and could be anything up to 3 months! We contacted the consultants secretary regarding the 'urgent' 'routine' statements who told us she would contact the consultant.

My wife is/was an active lady and a busy hard working teacher, to be told that the scan could well be in a number of months time has left her devastated.

My question is, we are sure the consultant said the case was 'urgent', and so how long would we be expected to wait for a scan?

Sorry the question is specific but someone may be able to answer.

many thanks,

GHLB

Sadly I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I needed an urgent MRI as I had prolapsed a disc in my lower back. I was in absolute agony & bent over as couldn't get upright due to the never ending agony.

Now to you & I, the word urgent means now, asap & to be done immediately!! My urgent MRI took 4 months!! This was despite the position I was in & constant trips to Gp & Hospital!!

I was unfortunate as after my MRI I had a botched epidural with no pain relief etc (Epidural was put straight into prolapsed disc & under the pressure it simply exploded inside my back) which led to major spinal surgery!! The damage was already done & I was left with Cauda Equina Syndrome (rare neurological illness) PTSD (from botched epidural) & due to my not coping with the way I was left very disabled, Psychosis & I've to take many different meds for the rest off my life.

So I urge you to take this up & very politely & firmly get in touch with whomever you need too, to get the MRI as urgently as you can. I'm not saying this can or will happen to you as mine was a consequence of the epidural & not the MRI. But the 4 month wait for it led me to have other symptoms I didn't initially start with.

Wishing you both good luck & you get this sorted ASAP.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

got to say an urgent as in really needs to be done now life threatening condition is done right away, it is a matter of perspective, just coz it hurts dosent mean it is urgent

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

got to say an urgent as in really needs to be done now life threatening condition is done right away, it is a matter of perspective, just coz it hurts dosent mean it is urgent

It does to the person that is in pain and to the people that care about them

Yes Mark, I am Bones

Our 'urgent' was due to the fact that we need to assess (MRI scan) the current damage as there is also a real risk of further damage the longer the condition is left unaddressed. As it is my wife is already only able to walk a short distance with a stick and a devise to keep her foot off the floor. We are having to use a wheelchair to get out of the house.

Things may be moving in the right direction now due to the support of our consultant, our GP, and a phone call of complaint from ourselves.

Edited by GHLB

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I thought I would update this thread with the latest developments.

So far - 3rd June problem starts and doctor refers my wife to see a consultant.

4 weeks later, 3rd July we get to see a consultant who refers my wife to have an 'urgent' MRI scan.

4 weeks later, 1st August, after a direct complaint to the NHS a week ago, my wife has a scan and told to see consultant for results.

Consultant is not available for a week! On holiday I presume.

So over 2 months from the initial doctors consultation, we still havn't got a diagnosis? I am not talking about 'treatment' here, but 'diagnosis'. A month ago the consultant shocked my wife after her examination telling her that the condition could be serious and that she needed urgent attention for a diagnosis as the condition could deteriorate causing lasting damage. Something along the lines, if the power supply to a light bulb is restricted for an increasing length of time, it will be less likely that the light bulb will ever work again. You make your own assumption.

So where are we now?

My wife, with a 'dropped foot' aid and a walking stick, can walk for 5-10 minutes depending on the level of pain.

Any length of time over 5-10 minutes I push my wife in a wheelchair.

The pain in her leg and spine is numbed. But she has continual pain in her foot 24/7 despite the highest dose of morphine tablets she can have.

She has a disrupted sleep every night despite sleeping tablets.

She is showing signs of depression with a lack of interest in doing anything or going anywhere.

She cries and talks to herself when she thinks I am not around.

As for me. I have had to watch my wife gradually transform from an active, hard working person to ... what can I say? But don't get me wrong. This stuff happens, we are not invincible!

I try my best to motivate her but the constant effort I feel is wearing me down and I too feel quite helpless, depressed.

If she gets up in the night for the toilet she is very unstable on her feet and disorientated about her surroundings. And so if I try to sleep in another bedroom to get a nights sleep I only wake up with the slightest sound. That's if I can get to sleep in the first place!

Today?

We are told that after 2 months of waiting for a scan, and then after the scan, there is nobody available to look at the scan anyway!

I am desperately, calmly, trying to explain to my wife that she needs to get out of bed. She asks me 'what for?'

I sit here and type this as if some way it is helping?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dent, it is rude of me not to reply sooner but I am thinking 'what's the use?'

I have written this reply over and over, and deleted it each time as again, 'what's the use?'

In terms of progress towards a definite diagnosis or following treatment we are no further on. In fact today we got a bit of a shock when we were told news that makes either diagnosis or treatment something that we shouldn't expect for at least 6 months! Any more detail than this is just too depressing to write I'm afraid.

Thanks very much for your concern it is much appreciated.

Hi, our consultant was supposed to be referring my wife 12 days ago. Neither our GP or the clinic we have been referred to has heard from the consultant! The clinic told us today that the wait once they have received the referral is 5 months. Hearing the possibility of another 5 months on top of the 3 months my wife has already been suffering, without a diagnosis or hint of what, if any treatment will be, brought my wife to her knees, literally! Of course I am helpless to help her. What can I do?

Again, please don't get me wrong. These things happen to people. It could have been me or anyone else that has my wife's condition. and yes, in a few months time when my wife's wages are reduced to half pay we will not be able to pay the mortgage, that too happens to people. Yes, this stuff happens and we will deal with it. BUT, what I have issue with is the lack of medical help and support my wife is receiving.

Thanks for your reply but I think it is probably best to bring this thread to an end until perhaps I have some positive news.

I know where you are coming from as I am on half pay at the moment having been through 2 operations this year and only mangaged to do that in a sensible time frame because DP has very kindly paid for me to have private tx. The only thing I can suggest but you might not want to do is see if you can get a private consultation it might to at least get a diagnosis and the consultant to see the state your wife is in.