JBW knocking on my door regarding council tax 10 years ago

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3929 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Not sure anyone can help here. Just had (today) a rep from JBW Group knocking on my door requesting that I pay £398.33 for a council tax. Pretended to be a court bailiff to start with, followed by a rep for Hounslow council then an employee for JBW Group. No identification shown at all even though requested. Threats of taking stuff and court were made.

After some questioning as I thought it was a load of tosh, I apparently owe council tax or £355.83 + £47.50 in costs dating back to 16/10/2003 which was the "offense date". The sum was issued in 16/9/2004.

Now I lived as a private renter in the place in question for 2 months, paid council tax for that period and notified the council when I left. I cannot prove this as it was a decade ago unfortunately.

Anyway, the whole thing sounds fishy. How should I be dealing with this, bearing in mind an arbitrary sum has been pulled out of the air and no papers from the council, JBW or any court have been issued.

AFAIK this is stature barred after 6 years.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks for info Re council tax.

Where do I stand now though as I paid for the duration I was there. This is an administrative error by Hounslow council which appear to have caught up with me after a decade.

Council called. They have a record of it (although I have record of payments - ha! covering the amount). Have requested proof from the Council.

Sending template letter to JBW today recorded delivery.

Council called. They have a record of it (although I have record of payments - ha! covering the amount). Have requested proof from the Council.

Sending template letter to JBW today recorded delivery.

You want a copy of your council tax account for the period and a copy of any liability order, plus a copy of the summons that was issued at the time. Unless they can evidence you owing the council tax, you do not have to pay. If they continued to try to collect this tax, you should immediately complain to the head of the council, with a copy to your local councillors and MP. Advise them that if this continues you will seek the help of the LGO.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

You want a copy of your council tax account for the period and a copy of any liability order, plus a copy of the summons that was issued at the time. Unless they can evidence you owing the council tax, you do not have to pay. If they continued to try to collect this tax, you should immediately complain to the head of the council, with a copy to your local councillors and MP. Advise them that if this continues you will seek the help of the LGO.

Thanks for information. Will make sure I include this in any communication.

I've just send the "prove it" letter to JBW. I want to keep it as loose as possible with them.

I will write the council tax letter next.

please filrobbo user-online.png don't post FOTL TWADDLE

it does not work

posts removed.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Does that actually work considering this country is shoot first, then ask questions when the subject has hung themselves in jail?

These removal of rights to access notices are mostly ignored where there is any legal rights to visit a private address. Because a liability order was granted within 6 years of the CT being due to the council, the councils bailiff can visit your address. The cannot break into your property, but can levy on items outside your property. If you refused to pay and the council went back to the court, you would mostly be asked to attend your local Magistrates to say why you were not paying, rather than any forced access to your property.

Send the letter to the bailiff asking for proof and send the formal complaint letter to the council, asking for the proof mentioned earlier. The council should ask the bailiff to stop their enforcement, until they have proven that you owe the CT.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

what date was the debt accrued and when did the council get the liability order please

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

These removal of rights to access notices are mostly ignored where there is any legal rights to visit a private address. Because a liability order was granted within 6 years of the CT being due to the council, the councils bailiff can visit your address. The cannot break into your property, but can levy on items outside your property. If you refused to pay and the council went back to the court, you would mostly be asked to attend your local Magistrates to say why you were not paying, rather than any forced access to your property.

Send the letter to the bailiff asking for proof and send the formal complaint letter to the council, asking for the proof mentioned earlier. The council should ask the bailiff to stop their enforcement, until they have proven that you owe the CT.

Outside, I have garden furniture, plant pots with nice plants in and a locked shed and a car?

Are any of them included in their ability to levy from outside the property?

Outside, I have garden furniture, plant pots with nice plants in and a locked shed and a car?

Are any of them included in their ability to levy from outside the property?

Yes they could do, provided the value was sufficient to cover the LO and their fees. You should park your car away from the house, until you have been told enforcement has been stopped or better cancelled.

Yes they could do, provided the value was sufficient to cover the LO and their fees. You should park your car away from the house, until you have been told enforcement has been stopped or better cancelled.

Thanks for information.

AFAIK they do an attachment of earnings first (having dealt with this in the past). Plus this guy hasn't identified himself nor served papers yet.

I have no communication other than verbal. Isn't that technically theft then if he took my car?

Thanks for information.

AFAIK they do an attachment of earnings first (having dealt with this in the past). Plus this guy hasn't identified himself nor served papers yet.

I have no communication other than verbal. Isn't that technically theft then if he took my car?

The attachment to earnings is apparently now only considered if you ask Magistrates, if it goes back to court. Bailiff companies now try to milk as much fees as they can achieve and are often in league with councils. Councils now appear to get kick backs from bailiffs. Two bailiff companies are owned by Capita who are running many councils admin departments, which is a totally wrong conflict of interest.

If the bailiff has been told by the council that they have a liability order from Magistrates, they will do what they can get away with to gain payment. So if you do not pay, they could use a levy on your car as leverage to gain payment.

The attachment to earnings is apparently now only considered if you ask Magistrates, if it goes back to court. Bailiff companies now try to milk as much fees as they can achieve and are often in league with councils. Councils now appear to get kick backs from bailiffs. Two bailiff companies are owned by Capita who are running many councils admin departments, which is a totally wrong conflict of interest.

If the bailiff has been told by the council that they have a liability order from Magistrates, they will do what they can get away with to gain payment. So if you do not pay, they could use a levy on your car as leverage to gain payment.

Ouch didn't know that. Capita seem to have taken OCP (from Robocop) or Weyland Yutani (Alien etc) as a business model. Ironically, I've dealt with Capita in the past (my background is an IT integration consultant)

Do they have to inform you that they are taking the car or do they just do it? I read somewhere else they clamp it and tell you.

Also can I sell the car to my wife for £1?

Edited by pointyhat
add whinge about capita

Ouch didn't know that. Capita seem to have taken OCP (from Robocop) or Weyland Yutani (Alien etc) as a business model. Ironically, I've dealt with Capita in the past (my background is an IT integration consultant)

Do they have to inform you that they are taking the car or do they just do it? I read somewhere else they clamp it and tell you.

Also can I sell the car to my wife for £1?

They might just take it anyway and worry about exact ownership afterwards.